U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2015, 02:46 PM

176 posts, read 144,764 times

Advertisements

Thank you for your kind words, Anya. I really appreciate them.

The first dentist who treated me has been the only one I've seen since I moved in this town 4 years ago and I saw him for a couple of fillings and an extraction. That's why I chose him and I trusted him completely.

My good friend seemed a bit critical to me when she got the first wrong dental impression. She asked for a new one then, but meanwhile I started feeling a pain in one of my canines and we decided to do a root canal. After that I became worried about two molers I discovered I had no root canal made and after insisting a lot , the doctor agreed to do it on one of the molars. He said that he doesn't do molar root canals because they have 4 nerves, one of which you can't see and that you'd need some NASA machines to be able to do one properly, and these are his exact words.

Then a new impression was taken. My friend built the metal part and the teeth without the shining cape and it wasn't right, so she didn't trust the doctor anymore and took another impression herself, which she said that was very different from the one the doctor had taken and did all the work again. This time the bridge fitted perfectly and the aesthetic was even admired by the doctor.

At that point the first dentist had to leave for some studies abroad and brought someone to substitute him. The new dentist is nice, but I think that she didn't chose the best provisional cement for me. My gum is in a pretty bad shape after three hours at the dentist and what upsets me a bit is that after the reparation of the superior bridge, the teeth lost a tiny bit of their transparency. They are still very very beautiful, but just not as beautiful as the first time, but it's ok.

Anya, I'd like to ask you a question, if you don't mind. I know that you don't like to give advice, but I'd like your opinion on this and I'd also appreciate if someone else can comment.

My beautiful superior bridge is one piece and it fits perfectly, but I still have a molar which has a feeling that doesn't have a root canal done. My friend says that it's better to have a root canal done before cementing the superior bridge for good. Her boyfriend, who is also a dental technician, says that there are advantages and disadvantages any way, and both doctors said that it's better to leave the molar like that, because a root canal, weakens the tooth, it may present problems as well, infections may still appear, and should a problem appear, a root canal can be done through the crown - my friend disagrees on this and she thinks that something like that would ruin the crown. What do you think is best for me taking in consideration the circumstances?

One piece bridge - very expensive! Should I leave the molar like that? Should I ask for a root canal? It already has a filling. Can a root canal really be done through the crown? And then I wonder, if without the crown a molar root canal is so difficult, just how difficult can one be if needed to be done through the crown? I have asked both dentists, as I said, I'm just not sure that they are giving me the best possible advice on this.

I wouldn't easily afford paying for another major dental work soon, like if an infection appears, remove the bridge, treat the molar, pay for another bridge, etc. What's less risky for me? Thank you.

Last edited by BlazingStars; 06-06-2015 at 03:13 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 03:01 PM

176 posts, read 144,764 times
Regarding the liquid for loosening the provisional cement I mentioned, it's something a girl from Great Britain told me on a forum. Apparently, one of the dentists she saw used it on one of her crowns that had provisional cement. She said that he put a couple of drops, it had a strong smell and it loossened the cement right away. She didn't know the name of that product though.

I found the product below. I don't know if it's the right one and I wanted to show it to the dentist, but she wasn't interested, and it doesn't matter, because she succeeded to remove the superior bridge and the two lateral ones using ultrasounds and other things. I think the inferior central bridge won't be a problem next week anymore either.

Ultrasonic Cleaning Solutions – Advanced Formula Temporary Cement Remover, 1 Gallon - L & R Mfg Co

https://www.pattersondental.com/Supp...yDetails/18615

Old 06-07-2015, 10:42 AM

33 posts, read 72,960 times
Where I used to work, an impression can only be taken in a dentist's office, the technician could assist and that's as far as it would go.. anything else is illegal.. Leaving that aside, I would find it honest for a dentist to admit not being able to do the best job in a root canal treatment and to refer, it might not need NASA equipment but it needs some practice and some extra tools, so nothing to say there really, just that it shows they do care for their patient's best interest, no? A simple x-ray can show if a tooth has a root canal or not, and no, not all teeth that are covered with crowns or bridges have to be endodontically treated. But each case is unique and only your dentist can know what your case is about. Your answer is there: there are advantages and disadvantages any way". Have your dentist explain you both so you can make an informed decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health