U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 06:31 AM

176 posts, read 144,846 times

Advertisements

Hi! Maybe someone has an advice for me

I've recently had some major dental work done and I have a superior bridge that was glued with provisional cement eight weeks and a half ago. Meanwhile the dentist has worked on the inferior part and glued with provisional cement the inferior bridge two - three weeks ago. Since the bite and everything else has been ok in these last weeks, we had an appointment to take off the bridges and apply permanent cement.

For about 40 minutes, the dentist tried to remove the bridges , but she couldn't. So, we have an appointment for next week when she'll try again. In normal conditions, I wouldn't have problems waiting several weeks or months, but I'm moving 700 km at the end of June, something they knew since we started this dental work in January. So, I'm wondering if there is any way for me to help dissolve this provisional cement or any other safe way to intervene.

My second problem is that I've noticed that she chipped away a bit of the ceramics on one of the canines. It's close to the gum, but you can still see it. These news made my dental technician very nervous, saying that when she repairs the bridge, she'll need to put it in the oven, and since the superior bridge has been inside my mouth for a bit more than two months, the material has come in contact with substances and it might behave differently in the oven, and it might get ruined, so I might need a new bridge then.

Now I don't know how to approach my dentist next week. If she hadn't chipped away some of the ceramics, I would have told her that I prefer to wait the time it takes for this provisional cement to dissolve itself, but since the reparation is urgent, according to my dental technician, I think that the dentist should do her best to remove it as soon as possible.

So, I guess, my question is if there is a safe way to accelerate dissolving the provisional cement that I could practise at home? Or would dental floss help if I move it gently around the teeth?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 10:09 PM

1,552 posts, read 1,939,048 times
Who is "your dental technician" and why are you having these discussions with the lab instead of the dentist?

Old 05-31-2015, 05:52 AM

33 posts, read 73,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Who is "your dental technician" and why are you having these discussions with the lab instead of the dentist?
That's a very good question!!!

Old 05-31-2015, 06:52 AM

She is a good friend and a very good dental technician. She made me a special price and she has done a very good job which even the doctors were impressed with.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:17 PM

13,253 posts, read 38,143,135 times
Why are you having these discussions with the lab instead of the dentist?

Old 06-01-2015, 02:34 AM

I don't see the point in keep asking the same question I have already answered and which was not what really interested me when I made my initial post. I respect both dentists who have treated me but on several occasions I have received a more honest, suitable, experienced and uninterested opinion about what needed to be done to my teeth from my dental technician. Not to mention that on occasions my friend's interventions in the lab meant redoing the doctor's work who even got the dental impression wrong twice, which she did for free without commenting anything to the dentist, and all this after she had trusted the initial impression and she had built the metal part and the teeth without the shining cape, plus a few other things. Fact. So yes, I will see my dentist this week and hopefully she'll come up with a solution for removing the provisional cement and repair the ceramic on my canine in time, but doing some research on my own can't hurt, I think.

I'd like to repost my initial question in case someone has a suggestion to what really interests me:

Is there a substance that applied could loosen the provisional dental cement?

Old 06-01-2015, 06:25 AM

13,253 posts, read 38,143,135 times
I'll reword the question.

This is something you should ask your dentist. The one who applied the cement. You claim you respect both dentists. Well then respect them enough to ask them your question.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:59 AM

I will of course ask my dentist and I won't do anything until I have her opinion, but taking in consideration that she chipped some of the ceramic on my canine and didn't see it or simply didn't say anything about that (I discovered that when I got home) and her only sugesstion for me when leaving was to wait until the provisional cement starts moving and then call and ask for an appointment, I feel that I need to get a bit more involved. I told her then that I'd like to see her in week time as I am moving 700 km away at the end of June, something they had been informed about months ago. As I said before, in normal circumstances I wouldn't mind moving and waiting the necessary time until the cement started to loosen on its own, but the ceramic might need urgent reparation.

Now, as I said, I will discuss all this my dentist, and I won't start doing things on my own that could ruin my bridge, because I care too much about something that looks so nice on me and it cost me so much money. I just wanted to know if there is a substance that applied by the dentist could loosen the provisional dental cement. Just because she is a doctor, it doesn't mean that she must know everything under the sun, or that I couldn't do my own personal research and politely comment it to her.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:02 AM

I saw the dentist yesterday, and told her about the results of my Internet search which included a liquid used in Great Britain for loosening the provisional cement and ultrasounds, used by other dentists. She said that she wouldn't try a liquid that she doesn't know how it would really work and then said that we couldn't use ultrasounds, but ended up asking the nurse to give it to her.

Even so she spent three hours trying to remove the bridges. She succeeded to take off the superior one and the two lateral inferior ones in the first hour and spent more than two hours working on the inferior central one. She obviously had used a too strong cement and those three hours were not very pleasant for me. When she phoned the dental technician to tell her that she'd need to repair the ceramic, she tried to minimise the damage, asked again for their price list offering to send them work in the future, and contradicted my friend when she told her that after more than two months inside my mouth, the superior bridge could give problems if put again in the oven. According to the dentist, there shouldn't be any problems. My friend had to do a lot of repairs to the bridge and when she put it in the oven, the two superior central teeth were ruined, because some bubbles of air appeared, so my friend had to redo both teeth. She will not send their price list to the dentist because she doesn't like the way this dentist works and because she thinks that she'd have to do too much work and deal with lots of stress because of the mistakes the dentist makes. She works with many good dentists though, that she says, have passion for their work and she respects them a lot.

I still have to go back, because the inferior central bridge couldn't be removed yesterday, so another unpleasant hour or so for me next week, but hopefully, I'll have everything cemented with the right permanent cement soon. I'll try to make sure she uses the right one this time.

Moral: sometimes doing a personal search on the Internet when facing a medical problem and politely commented to the doctor can help, and having an honest opinion from a dental technician when the dentist isn't giving one, is priceless.

P.S. The first doctor who treated me, from the same clinic, even told me when he studied my panoramic X-Ray that all my molars had root canal done and only later admitted, when the dental technician insisted, that he actually didn't know how to do a molar root canal. He also offered reasons why it would be important to keep them alive, and I suppose those arguments made sense.

Last edited by BlazingStars; 06-04-2015 at 11:38 AM..

Old 06-05-2015, 05:13 PM

33 posts, read 73,021 times
Elisax it's nice that your friend is a technician and you can certainly get much info from a technician. A dentist's work however is not simply technical. My wish is not to give excuses to your dentist, but sometimes even the best intentions don't end up in the result one wishes. And too often when things go wrong, the dentist might blame the technician and vice versa
I haven't been aware for any liquid being used for removing cement, but even if there is one, the cement surface that would be in contact with the liquid is minimal so it wouldn't really be of any help, plus how safe would that liquid be for the soft tissues surrounding your tooth? From my experience I know that when an impression is "crappy" the technician asks for a new one and doesn't go on making the prosthetic work, the work of the technician and the dentist should be harmonious and complimentary one to the other..
Finally I don't think there's a dentist who doesn't know how to do a root canal in molars.. this is something every dentist is trained to do since they are students. I have to admit however that a molar root canal might sometimes be difficult as there's not a single pattern for all teeth, some might have more canals than "normal", the canals might be severely curved and what not, so a general dentist might not be able to do the best root canal in any molar (This is the reason why there are spacialized dentist called "endontologists" who are trained specifically on this field).
Finally I'd like to add that dentists are not your enemies... as a matter of fact they are one of the most personal doctors you might have in your life.. find one you trust, you really trust.. so you don't need opinion from random stranger in the net. I'm not against informed decisions but you should do them with your dentist who you trust..
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health