U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2015, 05:16 PM

381 posts, read 534,195 times

Advertisements

I'm 30 years old and had braces for three years as a youth. I have had very few dental problems, but I'm afraid my luck is going to run out.

I have developed a crossbite and I am starting to have soreness when I chew. I can feel it in the area above my first molars on the top jawline. It is not painful but a soreness that goes away after I stop chewing.

An orthodontist said the only way this can be corrected is Rapid Palatal Expansion surgery (SARPE), followed by using a palate expander and then two years of full braces.

I am very much against surgery at this point. I am not at a place in my life where I can handle that kind of surgery and then have to deal with braces for two years. I may try other orthodontists and see what they recommend but I have a feeling they will all say I should get the surgery and expander.

My concern is if I start to experience pain when I chew, would a dentist be willing to pull the two molars, even if they are otherwise healthy? I know that's probably not standard treatment, but if it gets that bad, could they pull the molars and put in a bridge/implants?

This is very frustrating and it seems like my options are limited. The crossbite does not seem to be causing any other problems other than the soreness at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 06:05 PM

13,253 posts, read 38,143,135 times
You're going to want to chew on that area, so if you do get them pulled, you'll need to replace them. Putting a bridge on to replace two molars means chiselling down the back molar and a premolar, so those two would serve as "anchor" teeth for the bridge. That means you end up with two non-teeth and two compromised teeth. Definitely not an ideal solution. I'd get implants instead, if pulling the molars turned out to be the best option.

I don't know anything about that surgery so I have no opinion on it one way or another. Just commenting on what you said you are hoping a dentist might consider as an option.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:41 PM

381 posts, read 534,195 times
I haven't had a discussion with my dentist about options. I only have the orthodontist's report. His opinion is that there would be no other way to correct the crossbite I have without SARPE surgery.

Has anyone had or know of somebody in a similar situation? I have looked up Damon braces. Maybe a solution here?

Again, though, the ortho says nothing other than surgery will correct my crossbite.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:54 AM

33 posts, read 73,021 times
Crossbites do not necessarily create problems. A lot of people have and they're perfectly fine. I would ask my dentist to have a thorough check on my occlusion, sometimes it's just a contact or two that may need correction. I wouldn't advice you to pull out healthy teeth. Have your occlusion checked and get a second opinion.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:41 AM

1,552 posts, read 1,939,048 times
If surgery is recommended by your orthodontist, then the problem is not the position of the teeth, it's the position of the bone. The bone (and therefore the teeth also) must be moved in some cases, especially in adults who are no longer growing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or