U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2015, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 25,426 times

Advertisements

I'm new to this forum. Two days ago my dentist was preparing a tooth for a new crown, when the bur (?) tool hit my tongue. Much blood, but after a while she was able to finish the work. She was very sorry and upset about the injury, but thought it would heal over the next few days.

It's been quite painful, and it's very difficult to talk and eat -- really hurts. It has stopped bleeding, and I was finally able to look at the injury, far back on the underside of my tongue. I was shocked to see this white taut cord, which I guess is part of a muscle, inserting into the tongue, completely uncovered and surrounded by purplish damaged tissue. As it turns out, this is a string of the damaged tissue from the injury, which I can see now is a fairly deep cavity in the surface of the tongue.

Has anyone had anything like this, or know anything about it? How long it might take to heal? It seems as long as it is rubbing against my teeth, because the tongue has to move when eating or talking, it will be hard for it to heal.

I fear I will become dental phobic, this has been pretty scary.

Last edited by Charlotte1946; 06-06-2015 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: further info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 05:09 AM

33 posts, read 72,960 times
Dear Charlotte.. i'm sure this is a very unfortunate event but I can promise you will never find a single dentist that has never nicked a patient's tongue in all their professional life, if they say they did not they're lying! Sometimes the tongues are so mobile that it's a constant struggle to keep them safe. Tongues are also full of nerves and vessels, this is why even a small nick bleeds profoundly and aches a lot.. much as when we accidentally bite our tongues when we eat sometimes. If it was something severe, your dentist would have placed stitches. Tongues also heal very quickly.. So you should not actually worry. Go back to your dentist and express her your fears and worries and I'm sure she'll explain all for you to calm down. And for heaven's sake, don't get "dental phobic"!

Old 06-08-2015, 07:56 AM

2 posts, read 25,426 times
thanks for the reply, Anya It's now 5 days since it happened, and it's not much better. Still very hard to talk or eat, and I'm already too thin.

It's a pretty large abrasion, about 1 inch square and deep in the middle, plus it extends back and down, way back at the base of the tongue. I'lll see the dentist tomorrow, but I don't think there's anything to be done about it, except wait for it to heal.

It's amazing this doesn't happen more often.

Old 06-14-2015, 02:31 AM

255 posts, read 337,780 times
I don't care what anyone else says. If it was me, I would go to see my regular doctor or if you don't have one, get one. You could wind up with an infection because there are so many bacteria in the mouth. I would NOT rely on only this dentist to care for this injury. I would make sure it is well documented by a second medical professional the nature of your injury and the progress of the healing period. She is liable for injuring you and should have insurance for this kind of thing. The cost of your medical bills will be her responsibility. Don't treat this so lightly!

Old 06-14-2015, 10:17 AM

1,552 posts, read 1,938,013 times
Yes see your general medical doctor since they look in the mouth every day and see wounds in the mouth every day and would know what is should look like. And yes sue your dentist for your own inability to keep your tongue out of the way...this could be a lottery ticket for you! Everything is someone's fault always. $hit never just happens, there is always someone to blame! Someone should always be at fault and be held responsible in our country!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or