U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2015, 01:52 PM

5,815 posts, read 9,314,764 times

Advertisements

Seven years ago tooth #15 (upper left molar) required a root canal. No crown, just protective filling. Over the 7 years, no problems. Even though it did not quite meet the lower tooth, I could chew with it OK.

Well, a few days ago, I bit down on a dried apricot, and heard and felt a loud crack. No pieces of tooth or filling have come out, but I can feel a slight movement on one side. No real pain, only slight "throb" occasionally.

Do have a dentist appt this Wed to see what can be done, but curious if there are any new procedures that may help avoid an extraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 04:37 PM

33 posts, read 72,981 times
It all depends on how deep the crack goes.. You might be lucky enough and escape an extraction with a crown lengthening in the worst case scenario but there are limitations to this procedure.. Your dentist will remove the broken part and let you know how deep the crack is and what are your choices. I hope it all goes well!

Old 06-07-2015, 05:47 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,126,767 times
if part of it is moving the tooth is probably toast, but I am not a dentist. I had a tooth with a crack that my dentist didn't even know was there until he started grinding the tooth down for a crown. Then he saw it. So it sounds like yours is worse than mine was, but it may depend on where the crack is and how deep it goes.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:45 PM

482 posts, read 723,104 times
I'm pretty sure you'll need to have it pulled. If it was just a chip, you might be able to save it, but for a vertical crack that goes above the gumline and into a root, I don't think anything can be done. The good news is extraction isn't painful (at least it wasn't when mine was done). I had my upper molar pulled and originally planned to get an implant, but I'm getting by fine without one and might not get one after all.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:35 AM

Default Followup

Went to dentist today. Tooth was too far gone. Cracked across the gum line. Extracted the tooth and 3 roots. No pain, little bleeding, 1 stitch.

Time = 40 minutes. Cost = $320 self-pay

Old 06-10-2015, 04:45 PM

33 posts, read 72,981 times
Sorry to hear that reed

Old 06-10-2015, 05:21 PM

1,109 posts, read 1,073,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark85 View Post
I'm pretty sure you'll need to have it pulled. If it was just a chip, you might be able to save it, but for a vertical crack that goes above the gumline and into a root, I don't think anything can be done. The good news is extraction isn't painful (at least it wasn't when mine was done). I had my upper molar pulled and originally planned to get an implant, but I'm getting by fine without one and might not get one after all.
Please, learn from MY self-proclaimed stupidity...NOT admitted lightly or with humor...
You need every tooth or the space for it and leaving it 'go' may not cause you any 'bad' issues TODAY (KEY WORD=TODAY). That space, without anything in it, over time, changes you facial structure, the actual BONEs in your face 'shift' and that same 'space' causes you to put MORE/ADDED pressure on the neighboring teeth you have that are today healthy. Those healthy teeth, will occur more wear & tear and over time, you will have a bigger chance of problems in those teeth. NOBODY...dental, medical, NOT TV ever tells us or 'schools' us in this. They only tell us to brush n floss.
Here's the clencher, NOT EVERYONE can wear dentures...even with those TV ads for the 'goop' aka: denture adhesive, it's not a guarantee. How did I learn all of this? I'm a RN (and not a dental one)...and for some reason, my body 'rejects' root canals about a year after they are done. I lost 4 pre molars (I'm not dental so I don't know the tooth #s or names), 2 on each side of my mouth... and a horrible accident and no healthcare insurance at the time of such, kept me from having anything done to replace those 4 missing teeth. Also, as part of my ER nurse job, I had to be fit for a respirator mask at every job I ever ,worked and they NEVER were able to 'fit' me with an appropriate one from my facial bone structure. I'd have to wear a full 'space suit' if any 'at risk' patient came into the ER.
So now, I am retired and live on a retiree income (fixed) and all those healthy 'other' teeth that I have been using to chew on foods, nuts, etc for the past 12 yrs, PLUS brushing n flossing like I was instructed to do, are ALL smaller, cracked, sheared off (one molar) and have fillings that have excessive wear on them. I have no funds to have full implants, or a new mouth full of NICE teeth. Care Credit for the full mouth full of teeth I need is so high I cannot afford it. DDS, in my area do NOT take payments on their work. My next, and probably only, option will be full mouth extractions and dentures, which I will bet I will have as much luck in wearing comfortably as being fit for a respirator mask. I could be wrong about this last fact, and I hope beyond hope I am wrong, as just the thought of wearing dentures and them not fitting properly makes me cry.
REthink you choice...unless dentures are just not a 'bad idea' for you. For me, they are life ending if they don't fit.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:41 PM

289 posts, read 310,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Went to dentist today. Tooth was too far gone. Cracked across the gum line. Extracted the tooth and 3 roots. No pain, little bleeding, 1 stitch.

Time = 40 minutes. Cost = $320 self-pay
Are you going to leave the space empty? Is a bridge or implant an option?

Old 06-10-2015, 06:01 PM

482 posts, read 723,104 times
Sorry to hear of your complications.

I am aware of the potential for shifting, however in my case the tooth that was pulled was the upper molar on the very end. Also, the bottom end molar still makes contact with the upper molar that remains. I was told that, while an implant is preferable, it isn't necessary, as in my case I wouldn't have issues with shifting (if it had been a middle tooth, an implant or bridge would absolutely be necessary). My periodontist also performed bone grafting (using powdered bone tissue), and the socket is now filled in with solid bone, which will prevent the next tooth from shifting. I'll probably still get the implant, but I'm not in any rush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
Please, learn from MY self-proclaimed stupidity...NOT admitted lightly or with humor...
You need every tooth or the space for it and leaving it 'go' may not cause you any 'bad' issues TODAY (KEY WORD=TODAY). That space, without anything in it, over time, changes you facial structure, the actual BONEs in your face 'shift' and that same 'space' causes you to put MORE/ADDED pressure on the neighboring teeth you have that are today healthy. Those healthy teeth, will occur more wear & tear and over time, you will have a bigger chance of problems in those teeth. NOBODY...dental, medical, NOT TV ever tells us or 'schools' us in this. They only tell us to brush n floss.
(snip)

Old 06-10-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compuhi View Post
Are you going to leave the space empty? Is a bridge or implant an option?
Have appt next week to have stitch removed. Will discuss options with dentist then. At age 71, my inclination is to leave it empty. Already no teeth next to it. That why I did try to save this one 7 years ago with the root canal. And I have other missing molars since my teen years and have done OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or