U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2015, 01:38 PM

218 posts, read 667,546 times

Advertisements

First - I like my dentist - she is very gentle and is very good with me (a nervous patient).

She has never really forced me to have anything done that does not need to be done.

The last time I went for a cleaning, the doctor was talking to her assistant and said - "oh yeh, this is ready to go". I asked what was ready to go and if I needed to come back for a filling and she said no, but probably next time.

So next time arrives (4 months later) and it's gone - but instead of just a filling, I need a crown (this is another battle that I am having since doc wants to give me the crown with the silver showing and I want an all porcelain crown - she said it would be more expensive and may crack but it can be easily seen when I talk and I don't want to look 80 yet).

I was quite upset and I asked why we didn't do something 4 months ago. Or even make another appointment in 2 months to see how far it had gone. She said it wasn't ready.

This is not a doctor that does work just for the money. So I don't think that's the reason but why not work on it when it was "ready to go"?

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 05:04 PM

1,552 posts, read 1,939,048 times
I have no answer for your specific question, but I just want to point out for everyone else on the other thread that this is the exact reason why dentists insist on xrays for earlier diagnosis. Because if there is any delay in diagnosis then the dentist will be blamed:

//www.city-data.com/forum/dental-health/1696954-dental-exam-cleaning-without-x-ray.html

Old 06-18-2015, 09:16 AM

I got an xray 4 months ago.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:34 AM

2,238 posts, read 1,127,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toopie28 View Post
I got an xray 4 months ago.
Maybe she saw that a crown was inevitable at that point and didn't want you to fret over it for 4 months.
The conversation as you describe it sounds very odd and unnatural. Did she ever say what was "ready to go"? Saying something is "ready to go" is not what I would expect a dentist to say if a tooth only needed a filling.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:59 AM

11,175 posts, read 10,050,478 times
What amazes me is that you can see many different dentists and each one will have a completely different opinion about the dental work a patient needs.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:52 AM

Yes, I asked what she meant about ready to go and she just kind of dismissed it. The more I think about it - maybe because I'm a nervous patient she does not want to work on me.

She loves interacting with me on other subjects and we usually talk for about 1/2 an hour about general stuff before I leave - we chat like old friends.

So I think it may be a matter of her getting to know me TOO much and not wanting to put me through the filling/crown thing since she knows how much I hate it and what it does to me.

Either way, I have to find another dentist after this - I don't want to do it but I really don't feel comfortable with the vagueness of explanations every time I go for a check up.

My fault - I got to know her too well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health