Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 11:35 AM

1,656 posts, read 2,778,843 times

Advertisements

Nothing we put in the mouth is permanent. God Himself made your original teeth and you managed to tear them up somehow. Anything new that goes in your mouth probably has a limited lifespan.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:54 PM

27 posts, read 108,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDH35 View Post
Why would you sue? There is no ground for a suit. YOU CHOSE the LEAST expensive option which was the immediate (temporary) denture. No disclaimer needed. Those types of dentures are temporary and cosmetic.
The least expensive option almost $4000? And "no disclaimer needed". Really? A patient relies on the expert advice of the dentist, not the other way around. I bet you have scammed many of your patients with deceptive tactics and that's why you feel entitled to post your stupid remarks.

Quote:
It is why the (how ever many dentists before the one you found to do what YOU wanted) recommended permanent Dentures. Period. I can guarantee this office has documentation of EVERYTHING that was explained to you. Good Luck trying to find a lawyer to take this case.
Well, I didn't read anything saying that immediate dentures cannot be used to eat, or that they will fall out of one's mouth if talking. None of that. There was not even a description of what you consider to be "immediate dentures", not even in fine print.

Quote:
Good Luck trying to find a lawyer to take this case.
LOL, you're such an ignorant! I don't need a "lawyer" to file a complaint for breach of contract, you fool. In civil court the maximum award would be more than sufficient enough to make me whole.

Pretty sure any judge would see the immorality of charging poor people almost $4000 for dentures that you can't even use to eat or even talk without falling out of one's mouth.

And the burden of proof will on the side of dentist who would have to convince the judge that I agreed to pay almost $4K for dentures I won't be able to use to eat or otherwise, allow me to have a functional life!

Last edited by sleeplesstoo; 07-07-2015 at 01:44 PM..

Old 07-07-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Nothing we put in the mouth is permanent. God Himself made your original teeth and you managed to tear them up somehow. Anything new that goes in your mouth probably has a limited lifespan.
Go lecture or lay a guilt trip on someone else. I didn't make this thread for ridiculous comments like yours.

Last edited by sleeplesstoo; 07-07-2015 at 01:11 PM..

Old 07-07-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Again - it sounds like you didn't do your homework by asking questions. Even though it also sounds like you know exactly what these things mean. Permanent, as opposed to immediate. Well what's the opposite of permanent? Answer: temporary. So it's not a stretch to conclude that immediate means temporary, in the specific case of denture terminology.

What do you think "permanent" dentures were? Did you think they would superglue them to your gums? Permanent dentures are implanted into the jaw with screws. The term used to describe the end result is "implant dentures."

In addition, you are generally not left toothless between extraction and fitting - you are fitted with "immediate" dentures - which in layman's terms are "temporary" dentures, so you have something in your mouth that resembles teeth, until you're ready for the implants, and then the fitting for the dentures that get snapped onto the implants.

If you had asked questions of your dental professional they would have explained it all to you. It sounds like you might have cut them off as soon as they mentioned the fitting for the permanent ones would take awhile, and rejected the idea without learning any more details first.
So what If I learned all this after going through the process? What is it to you?? I don't know what's more ridiculous; your obvious ad hoc defense of dentists, or your kindergarten definition of immediate vs. permanent.

All you need to consider is that there is no price difference between making immediate or permanent dentures. None. The only difference is that dentures are made before extractions and the other after. Otherwise it's the same plastic!

Old 07-07-2015, 01:26 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
I have full dentures. That means I have no "natural" teeth left.
My dentures were fitted long before the swelling went down, immediately after the last teeth were pulled. They are quite adequate for eating, even though they are a little unstable.
Yes, I should go get them relined, or get a new set. I have other things that are more important to me, to spend my limited money on.
Yes, I use a lot of Poligrip (I think it is better than Fixodent. I could be wrong, it happens frequently.) Sometimes I have to reapply the stuff, especially on the lower denture, late in the evening, if we go out to dinner (one tomato seed under the denture is AWFUL!)
If I did get a new set of dentures, I doubt if I would go back to the dentist that did the initial work. I would probably go to a Denturist, one who specializes in fitting and making dentures.
Perhaps that is what the OP should do.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I have full dentures. That means I have no "natural" teeth left.
My dentures were fitted long before the swelling went down, immediately after the last teeth were pulled. They are quite adequate for eating, even though they are a little unstable.
Yes, I should go get them relined, or get a new set. I have other things that are more important to me, to spend my limited money on.
Yes, I use a lot of Poligrip (I think it is better than Fixodent. I could be wrong, it happens frequently.) Sometimes I have to reapply the stuff, especially on the lower denture, late in the evening, if we go out to dinner (one tomato seed under the denture is AWFUL!)
If I did get a new set of dentures, I doubt if I would go back to the dentist that did the initial work. I would probably go to a Denturist, one who specializes in fitting and making dentures.
Perhaps that is what the OP should do.
Right. But it really angers me that they can offer the "immediate" dentures solution which it's completely flawed and ill fitting.. it's clear to me now it's only bull**** to sell a new set of dentures.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:19 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
An immediate denture is what you get "immediately" while you're still swollen. They're not intended to be permanent, they're intended to be a placeholder. You're supposed to get the fitted final set of dentures at some point in the future. They will be the "permanent" set - which will not really be permanent, that's just what they're called.

The only time you would get a permanent set of dentures first, is if you remained toothless and dentureless until such time as your mouth was ready to be fitted for the permanent set. That can take several weeks or several months, depending on how well you heal, if you need bone grafting, where the dentures are being manufactured, etc. etc. etc. That is what you turned down.

The advice WAS given to you. In your own post you told us that the dentists you went to told you exactly what they recommended - and you chose to turn them down and insist on immediate dentures, which would only fit while your mouth was swollen. They don't shrink with your mouth. They are whatever size they are when they're put into your mouth the first time.

You're upset. I get that. But you're upset at the wrong people. You should be upset at yourself for not taking the advice of the professionals and choosing to do something else instead.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:21 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,778,843 times
The immediate dentures are so you do not have to walk around without teeth. They are not a replacement for teeth....they are a replacement for not having teeth. They are serving their purpose. I do believe many dentists should do a better job educating patients who think they will be able to bite into apples and chew a sandwich with their denture. It's just a piece of plastic to chomp on.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:35 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
According to the dentist I went to, this was a common conversation in his treatment chair:
Patient: "The first thing I'm gonna do when I get those new teeth is go get a big thick STEAK!!"
Dentist: "NO, you won't. Those new teeth won't fit well enough for that! After the swelling goes down, and we get your dentures well fitted, THEN you can get that steak!"

Patient (a week later): "Boy, doc, you were right! I tried that steak, and I just couldn't chew it!"

As the saying goes; "WELL, DUHHH!"

Old 07-07-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
An immediate denture is what you get "immediately" while you're still swollen. They're not intended to be permanent, they're intended to be a placeholder. You're supposed to get the fitted final set of dentures at some point in the future. They will be the "permanent" set - which will not really be permanent, that's just what they're called.

The only time you would get a permanent set of dentures first, is if you remained toothless and dentureless until such time as your mouth was ready to be fitted for the permanent set. That can take several weeks or several months, depending on how well you heal, if you need bone grafting, where the dentures are being manufactured, etc. etc. etc. That is what you turned down.

The advice WAS given to you. In your own post you told us that the dentists you went to told you exactly what they recommended - and you chose to turn them down and insist on immediate dentures, which would only fit while your mouth was swollen. They don't shrink with your mouth. They are whatever size they are when they're put into your mouth the first time.

You're upset. I get that. But you're upset at the wrong people. You should be upset at yourself for not taking the advice of the professionals and choosing to do something else instead.

Can you stop posting your trolling remarks and putting words into my mouth??? Where did you get that that was the advice given to me??? Where did I say that?? I said that some dentists told me that I should wait 2 - 4 weeks after the extractions, then come back for the impressions, try-ins and fittings.

One was even capable of doing the dentures only 3 days after the extractions, which it would have rendered much more accurate impressions and I would be able to have working dentures today, not just to smile!

One more time, the dental office manager advised me to pay for immediate dentures and told me that they did these procedures all the time which meant I could have a functional set of dentures.

You should get into the habit of reading the OP before posting replies.

Last edited by sleeplesstoo; 07-07-2015 at 06:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health