U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 11:33 AM

27 posts, read 83,319 times

Advertisements

If anybody is from the dental profession, I would appreciate your opinion. I knew I needed to get upper and lower dentures for sometime now. I was afflicted by a genetic periodontal decease that wouldn't stop until all my teeth were afflicted. It slowly but surely devastated me until I had 10 teeth left.

I decided that I had to get them all out and face the fact that I had to be a denture wearer the rest of my life (I am 59).

I did my research and wen to see a few dentists. They all seem to be in favor of permanent dentures as opposed to immediate ones. The problem with that was that some wanted me to come back 2 weeks to one month after the teeth extraction for the impression and days later for the fitting.

I didn't want to go teeth-less for such long time so I kept looking. The only doctor I found who would be able to extract my teeth and have me come back only 3 days later to create the dentures using his lab was too busy and I would have had to wait like 3 weeks to get in his work schedule. I was getting some discomfort with the remaining teeth so I knew I didn't want to wait that long (actually, I was too anxious to get it over with).

So I found this dental office and spoke with his manager who advised I take immediate dentures with the extractions being done after the impression, wax try-in and fitting.

I told him if he could do extractions first, then 3 days later after gum stopped bleeding all the impressions, wax try-in and fitting. He said, no, that's not how they work.. He also told me that they do this a lot and that it should be fine, etc, etc.

Well, I accepted because I thought maybe he/they were experts in immediate dentures and was desperate to get this thing going. So I paid them $3840 for extraction, dentures and future relines.

I came for the impressions on one day, then a couple of days later they did the wax try-in (the molds still showed my teeth in). Then like a week later, they had me come in for the extractions.

On the day of the extractions, they fitted my new dentures and because I was so numb and out of it by so much discomfort, I couldn't tell how they really felt.

Needless to say I couldn't eat with them at all. They hurt when I put them on, and make my gums sore. This went on for an entire week until begin to notice that they were not also fitting me well at all and no suction and kept coming off my mouth.

I spoke to the dental office manager, who said I should come back for a soft reline and that that should help significantly. So days later I go back and they put this paste material which had a weird taste and smell. It helped the dentures to stay a little more in place but I could still not use them to eat (anything soft) or even drink because of the stability and toxic quality of that compound they added on them.

I called to tell them about that and again, another appointment and more days in between. I see the doctor and he does some scooping out and filing on the dentures.

After a few moments is apparent that suctions is 0 and unless I put adhesive cream all the time, these dentures will never stay on.

Meantime, it took 2 weeks for the taste and smell of that soft reline to go down and I still can't wear these plates to eat and I am always afraid to talk too much because they tend to get loose inside my mouth.

Going back for another reline or more "adjustments" seem to be a waste of time.

Right now, I have problems with the lower denture which is uncomfortable to wear. I could probably adapt to wearing the upper one (more comfortableness and suction) but because one is ill fitting me, I can't wear them (other than to give the appearance that i have teeth) at all.

Now, the dental office manager has expressed to me that it's me who make the decision, and that I paid for the most affordable remedy to my problem so I am stuck with these. All they can do it's do more relines and adjustments.

Will they ever fit me even though my dentures were made while my last teeth were on?

Logic says that they will never fit because after they knocked out all my teeth the impression they used to make the dentures were based upon a completely different 'landscape' and my gums were not accurately depicted on wax.

I can't afford another $2000 for new dentures, and I feel taken advantage of. I have paid almost $4000 to have no teeth to eat and wear functionally in my life. Should I sue this dental office? What would be the cause for action? Keep in mind that this "manager" has basically turn it all around on me, as he stated that it was I who made the decision.

Thanks for reading!

Old 07-06-2015, 11:46 AM

2,322 posts, read 1,916,694 times
your story is the same as mine ..same bad procedure and all ..they made my mold when I still had 12 teeth in my head ... they fit good till the swelling went down then a half tube of fixadent barely held them in .. I just gave up and quit wearing mine five years ago .. don't miss them a bit .... they would not let me have a permanent soft liner ..said it would hold too many germs ...

Old 07-06-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
your story is the same as mine ..same bad procedure and all ..they made my mold when I still had 12 teeth in my head ... they fit good till the swelling went down then a half tube of fixadent barely held them in .. I just gave up and quit wearing mine five years ago .. don't miss them a bit .... they would not let me have a permanent soft liner ..said it would hold too many germs ...
Why can't these doctors or their dental offices be sued for breach of contract? One pays for dentures, the dentures should be good for eating and talking. If the dentures don't perform, then why shouldn't they be responsible?

Really what the hell? It's only plastic they have to put in one's mouth, why can't they be able to make them fit right or repeat the process of impression and creation of new dentures as many times as necessary? It seems to me they want to charge more for making plastic than their actual dental services.

On the last visit with the actual doctor (not the manager) he told me that I am prime candidate for permanent dentures and that only then the problems I experience will be addressed. This kinda confirms my suspicions that that manager was thinking in terms of what was good for the clinic, not me. And I am not buying that excuse that "they don't work that way" (extractions first then a few days later the dentures ) even though that is pretty much the difference between immediate from permanent dentures, a dental service which they do offer...

Old 07-06-2015, 10:19 PM

1,552 posts, read 1,939,048 times
Immediate dentures are temporary dentures. The price you pay for having teeth (dentures) placed immediately is that they do not fit. They are only for smiling. Dentures are simply a piece of plastic floating in an ocean of spit yet people think they should be able to eat anything with them for some reason. It's like a guy with a prosthetic hand expecting to write the same as he did with a real hand. The alternative is to remove the teeth and go without teeth for a couple of months and then have new dentures fabricated. The ideal solution is implants with immediate teeth, but then people ****** about the cost. You have to pay for the good stuff.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Immediate dentures are temporary dentures. The price you pay for having teeth (dentures) placed immediately is that they do not fit. They are only for smiling. Dentures are simply a piece of plastic floating in an ocean of spit yet people think they should be able to eat anything with them for some reason. It's like a guy with a prosthetic hand expecting to write the same as he did with a real hand. The alternative is to remove the teeth and go without teeth for a couple of months and then have new dentures fabricated. The ideal solution is implants with immediate teeth, but then people ****** about the cost. You have to pay for the good stuff.
None of these dentists told me that immediate dentists are made to look pretty not to eat. If dentist say one thing before you buy them and another after, why don't you just say that dentists are scammers then? "They are only for smiling"? Really? Wow, you must be someone who let his teeth to rot out for lack of brushing, or a crooked dentist, either way the information you spew is wrong. I know people with dentures and one does get used to them when they fit you well, if anything immediate (temporary) dentures should be considered a scam...

Old 07-07-2015, 06:42 AM

13,253 posts, read 38,143,135 times
All of these dentists recommended implants instead of temporaries. You chose not to follow their advice. The ones who would do something other than what you wanted, recommended doing something other than what you wanted. You chose not to follow their advice. The one who did what you wanted, included future relines - which you have chosen not to do.

So yes, it was your choice. It was your decision. You chose to do something other than what the dentists said you needed to do. You SHOULD have asked WHY they made those recommendations, if you didn't want to agree with them up front. You SHOULD have asked WHY they didn't think what you wanted was a good idea. It sounds like you didn't ask those important questions.

So now, you're back to square one - no teeth and dentures that don't fit. You SHOULD have understood that when someone does a LOT of work on bone (pulling teeth from the mouth = extracting something that's rooted into your jawbone) that there is going to be a lot of swelling. Fixing something removable to something that's swollen is going to result in a LOT of necessary adjustments when the swelling goes down, and once the mouth is at its final unswollen state, it will be a LOT different from when it was, when you still had your teeth.

This is logic and common sense, it has nothing to do with what a dentist did or didn't tell you.

You made your decisions, now you have to live with them. I recommend implant dentures, as someone who is NOT a dentist, whose husband has gotten implant dentures and endured those temporary (immediate) dentures for a year while he waited for the grafting and implants to take hold in his mouth.

The actual dentist here has also recommended implant dentures. You want to sue someone because you chose to do something against everyone else's advice. You can try, but you won't get anywhere.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
All of these dentists recommended implants instead of temporaries.
Quit putting words in people's mouths. I never said "they recommended implants"... If it is such a bad idea, why do they provide the service in the first place? Why they don't have a clear disclaimer stating that the dentures are "temporary", meaning they are bull**** just to smile.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:11 AM

Actually, the more these anonymous users (probably dental students) post to defend dentists in this thread, the more I realize that there are grounds for suing for breach of contract (especially when there are no disclaimers stating that immediate dentures are for temporary use only, and not suitable for replacing teeth)

Old 07-07-2015, 10:02 AM

595 posts, read 2,400,965 times
Why would you sue? There is no ground for a suit. YOU CHOSE the LEAST expensive option which was the immediate (temporary) denture. No disclaimer needed. Those types of dentures are temporary and cosmetic. It is why the (how ever many dentists before the one you found to do what YOU wanted) recommended permanent Dentures. Period. I can guarantee this office has documentation of EVERYTHING that was explained to you. Good Luck trying to find a lawyer to take this case.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:25 AM

13,253 posts, read 38,143,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeplesstoo View Post

I did my research and wen to see a few dentists. They all seem to be in favor of permanent dentures as opposed to immediate ones. The problem with that was that some wanted me to come back 2 weeks to one month after the teeth extraction for the impression and days later for the fitting.

I didn't want to go teeth-less for such long time so I kept looking.
Again - it sounds like you didn't do your homework by asking questions. Even though it also sounds like you know exactly what these things mean. Permanent, as opposed to immediate. Well what's the opposite of permanent? Answer: temporary. So it's not a stretch to conclude that immediate means temporary, in the specific case of denture terminology.

What do you think "permanent" dentures were? Did you think they would superglue them to your gums? Permanent dentures are implanted into the jaw with screws. The term used to describe the end result is "implant dentures."

In addition, you are generally not left toothless between extraction and fitting - you are fitted with "immediate" dentures - which in layman's terms are "temporary" dentures, so you have something in your mouth that resembles teeth, until you're ready for the implants, and then the fitting for the dentures that get snapped onto the implants.

If you had asked questions of your dental professional they would have explained it all to you. It sounds like you might have cut them off as soon as they mentioned the fitting for the permanent ones would take awhile, and rejected the idea without learning any more details first.

I'm not a dental student. I'm not a dentist either. I'm someone who has had extensive dental work, whose husband has had implant dentures, and whose grandfather was a dentist. I know a bit about dentistry because I've been exposed to dentistry all my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or