Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 02:24 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,225,923 times

Advertisements

I haven't looked into this for a while. I used the Crest Whitestrips like 10 years ago. I'm looking to whiten my teeth the best way. Dentist? Whitening Kit? What should I do?

Also I heard too much whitening can harm your teeth so I'm wondering If I should avoid doing it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 03:11 PM

11,968 posts, read 8,293,189 times
Both my husband and I use an old-fashioned, cheap method and our teeth are sparkling.

A mixture of baking soda and peroxide to brush with. If you don't like the taste I suppose you could put a drop of peppermint or cinnamon oil in it.

Checked out with dentist and he said it was okay.

Old 07-18-2015, 03:21 PM

7,683 posts, read 1,264,664 times
Amazing....I was just thinking of posting this question myself!

On occasion I use the baking soda/peroxide method but not consistently enough to see results. I should do a little test-study and see how it fares.

As for taste, the combination doesn't bother me much--but then again, I like the taste of mineral oil too.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:25 AM

83 posts, read 103,986 times
Teeth whitening is a process that removes stains from teeth and make them a whiter. Whitening products simply remove stains stuck on the outside of the tooth using acid to make them whiter. If your doctor suggests you to go for teeth whitening process then I also recommend you for teeth whitening.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:00 AM

4 posts, read 6,134 times
I think it would be better if you go to an experienced dentist and do teeth whitening. The natural remedies are good but it will take a long time to show the result. I had tried natural method but as it didn't show any immediate result, I went to Appleton Dental Clinic in Whitby and had teeth whitening procedure done. Now my teeth are white in color and I'm happy with it. All the best for your decision!!

Old 08-08-2015, 10:13 PM

708 posts, read 820,806 times
Some use activated charcoal.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:14 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,012,409 times
My dentist said that any teeth whitening is temporary and usually has to be repeated about every 2-3 months.

Yellow or brown teeth are obviously not very attractive; however, when people go overboard and end up with blazingly white teeth, that's all you see, their teeth; and sometimes you feel as though you need sun glasses!

Ever notice that people on tv who have white teeth ensure that when they talk or laugh they open their mouth wide enough so you'll see every tooth in their head? Giada De Laurentiis is a prime example on her cooking show.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:09 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,682,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
My dentist said that any teeth whitening is temporary and usually has to be repeated about every 2-3 months.

Yellow or brown teeth are obviously not very attractive; however, when people go overboard and end up with blazingly white teeth, that's all you see, their teeth; and sometimes you feel as though you need sun glasses!

Ever notice that people on tv who have white teeth ensure that when they talk or laugh they open their mouth wide enough so you'll see every tooth in their head? Giada De Laurentiis is a prime example on her cooking show.
Your dentist was exaggerating. Not sure why. Think about it this way:

How long did it take for you to get brown, stained teeth?
That's how long it'll take for them to get brown and stained again, after you get them whitened.

Of course, if you have brown teeth, you could just avoid whatever it is that's causing it, and not have to get brown teeth that need whitening again. Stop chewing tobacco, stop drinking so much cola, tea, or coffee, stop smoking cigarettes or cigars or pipe tobacco, stop being bullimic (vomiting on a regular basis can strip the enamel off your teeth and cause them to turn a nasty shade of grey), etc. etc.

No, you don't need "white" teeth. Teeth should be a pale shade of ivory, or an ivory shade of white, depending on how you perceive whiteness. A little yellower than that or a little paler than that isn't going to need correcting. But yeah if you have brown teeth or bad stains that are obvious, you need to get that cleaned up, and then you need to change your habits. Even if you chew tobacco, drink three pots of coffee a day, plus a 2-litre bottle of Coke every day, it still should take a couple years before your teeth are that brown again.

Old 10-12-2016, 03:43 PM

74 posts, read 183,014 times
Is there a safe, effective (cost and results wise) home treatment for whitening? I always hear about people using baking soda + hydrogen peroxide or lime juice, but I thought that would hurt your enamel. And don't most of those whitening tray solutions and strips hurt your enamel as well? I'm hesitant to do anything at home.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:09 PM

24 posts, read 19,454 times
oil pulling with extra virgin coconut oil
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health