Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 11:54 AM

4 posts, read 176,846 times

Advertisements

My almost 8 year old daughter recently had a baby tooth ("I" tooth) and a spare tooth pulled (called a supernumeral). Now the orthodontist is recommeding she get a spacer while we wait for the adult "I" tooth to grow in. The baby tooth was a little wiggly (and she has been extremely early with all her teeth) so its probably less than 6 months until the adult tooth comes in. I asked the orthodontist if she thinks we could wait until January when I can afford the almost $500 spacer that insurance does not cover and she said yes that should be okay. Her tooth was pulled in early Oct so thatss about 3 months with no spacer.

Now having explained all that I'm really struggling with whether to plunk out the $500 or just wait it out, which means the front adult tooth next to the hole may tilt into it a little causing more crooked teeth. But I do know that she will need braces anyways, but the question is to what degree. The Ortho recommends the spacer to prevent more issues for the braces to correct. I'm not sure if once the adult tooth comes in it'll push the other teeth back into place or what, there's no way for anyone to know. Money is really tight so its a big deal to pay $500. But this is not easy for me to decide, part of me thinks well she's going to need braces anyways and no one I know ever needed anything like this and everything worked out fine. But the other part feels like I'd be a bad mom if I dont go with the recommendation. I'm hoping to get some other parents' experiences/opinions (not just the orthodontist since they make the money off us) so I can better make my decision. Anyone have similiar situation? Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 10:30 PM

506 posts, read 2,573,742 times
Personally, I don't think much will happen in 3 months (and January is <2 months away now).

Old 11-11-2013, 10:28 AM

the 3 months is until I can afford to get them, but it could be another 3-6 months until the adult tooth actually grows in, so there is quite a bit of time that the existing teeth can shift into that empty place. I hate that I have to wait until January (if I'm going to get them, which I am leaning towards doing them) just wondering if anyone else has had experience with not getting them and if their kids teeth did much shifting?

Old 11-11-2013, 12:43 PM

The actual amount of shifting will vary from person to person (although more movement tends to happen in younger individuals). Are you saying that if you put the spacer in you think you'll only need to use it for up to 6 months and no longer?

Old 11-11-2013, 01:36 PM

No, I have no idea how long she will need it(that doesnt matter cost wise), the 6 months is just an estimate on when her adult tooth will grow in. There's really no telling either way with any of it. But the advise the orthodontist gives when they recommend she get the spacer is that its better to get it so they dont shift, rather then let them shift and her future needs when correcting them with braces will be more extreme if those teeth shift. (We already know she'll need braces in the future, but to what degree no one knows obviously) I just hate to pay $500 if I dont truly need to, but dont want to have her teeth messed up either because of it. I know dentists obviously make money, but I'd also hope its not jsut that, that this really is a need.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:45 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,035,479 times
I thought spacers were the little staple like things they put between the teeth. Is this what your ortho is talking about? If so, I can't imagine why it costs 500.00. They are annoying as heck too and can drive you batty.

Maybe it is some sort of appliance that has to be made?

Old 11-11-2013, 07:14 PM

It sounds more like a space maintainer than a spacer. I would be a little bit concerned if I had to pay $500 for something that only had to be used for <6 months. If it needed to stay in for over a year (or better yet, 2-4 yrs) then that's more reasonable. It does sound like your orthodontist has your best interest in mind and is not pushing things on you.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:42 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
Were it me, I'd ask my dentist and then follow their advice.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:35 AM

98 posts, read 543,683 times
Without radiographs, impossible to give you sound advice.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:20 AM

2 posts, read 54,417 times
I'm glad that I'm not the only one a little curious about these spacer things. My son has to have one of his baby teeth removed and its about half way back on the 3rd or 4th tooth on the bottom. The dentist is Insisting that he get a spacer once removed. I guess the part that I don't fully understand is that if their going to loose those teeth anyway aren't their permanent teeth prepared to handle gaps and spaces and some movement anyway? I know that the loss of the tooth is some time sooner then the natural timeline, but maybe it really depends on how long before the tooth would have come out naturally when you are making the decision whether to put spacer in or not. For me my internal alarms sounded when I heard that the dentist had ordered the spacer before the decision had even been made if the tooth was certain to be removed or not. And now my interest in learning more about the need for a spacer or not has grown, and also maybe finding out if some teeth depending on the location in the mouth need it more than others.....And yes of course all dentist need to make money and I would say MOSTLY they will push you in their direction. But do we put our trust %100 and move forward on their word...or do go this extra mile and educate ourselves so the right decision is made for US! The latter undoubtedly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health