Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2015, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,573 times

Advertisements

I had a bad experience with my dentist two weeks ago. Actually I visited him for a wisdom tooth extraction. But it was performed by his assistant. The procedure was very painful and I am still having the pain. I have visited him more than three times but all the time he gives me pain killers. I don’t know what the hell is happened to me. I think something wrong was happened in the tooth extraction procedure. Anyway, I am thinking about proceeding a medical malpractice case. Yesterday, I have talked with a personal injury lawyer from Sommers and Roth in Toronto and he told me that I can get compensation if the procedure was done improperly. Do anyone here have had experience like this before? Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 12:40 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
You can always sue, but what will it cost you and what do you think you will be awarded even if you do win your case? Lawyers always win even if you don't!

Old 08-09-2015, 12:43 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
How can you possibly be suing when you aren't even certain yet what, if anything, is wrong?

Shouldn't you be getting a second, or third, opinion from a dentist, before you get a lawyer?

Last edited by Cida; 08-09-2015 at 12:59 PM..

Old 08-09-2015, 01:14 PM

211 posts, read 409,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
How can you possibly be suing when you aren't even certain yet what, if anything, is wrong?

Shouldn't you be getting a second, or third, opinion from a dentist, before you get a lawyer?
that is what most rational people would do, but not many rational people around these days.....

Old 08-09-2015, 01:30 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Not sure what this has to do with dentistry, OP. You're asking a legal question - and in fact your lead-in involves a law firm in Canada, and most people who post here are either from or in the USA. You might want to check with the Canadian forum, you'll find more appropriate assistance there.

Or - as someone else suggested - get a second opinion about your actual medical concern, including a diagnosis and prognosis.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:06 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,781,647 times
Lawsuit? What are your damages? Also, what do you mean by the "assistant" did the surgery?

Old 08-09-2015, 07:28 PM

629 posts, read 933,827 times
I love these threads.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:50 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
OP you can sue but beware you could also be countersued and that is expensive. Dr's have a license to practice and they do get a lot of leeway, plus they good insurance lawyers to fight you.
Most lawyer's generally want an upfront $5,000 just to open a case. Are you prepared for a costly long fight?
Now if you can get a second and 3rd opinion that would say you were wronged you might have a case for mal-practice, but as said above you'd have a costly fight.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:29 AM

255 posts, read 451,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Lawsuit? What are your damages? Also, what do you mean by the "assistant" did the surgery?
Exactly. Right now all you have is pain, which is not that unusual and pain killers are the usual choice to handle that. Assuming you heal up properly, you really have no damages, as pain is not unexpected.

On the other hand, I don't know what the laws are in Canada, but in the US, I believe only the licensed dentist can do the actual surgery and the assistant is there to well, assist. Who pulled the tooth out of your mouth? If you have a situation where someone performed a surgical procedure that they are not licensed to perform, then take that up with your dental licensing agency.

See how you heal and if you are concerned with the outcome, consult another licensed dentist. But do a little research first. See if you can find some reviews of the dentist or get a referral from someone you know who is happy with their dentist or contact the licensing bureau for a referral. You are nowhere near bringing a lawsuit against the dentist at this point.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:12 PM

129 posts, read 304,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
I love these threads.
me too, i click on them for the entertainment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health