U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 07:07 PM

16,988 posts, read 10,228,469 times

Advertisements

I was told the other day that when you do implants it some how tricks the bone into growing around it & helps it grow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 02:00 PM

15,527 posts, read 13,599,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Well the OP was talking about getting a full set of dentures, and he isn't even 50 years old yet. Assume he'll live til he's 90, and that means he has another 40 years of wearing dentures. Dentures don't usually become the prognosis for most people, until they're in their 60's or later. So figure he has around 20 years of needing dentures, that most people don't need.
U
Now break that investment down over how many years, and compare that with the average cost of dental care for someone who still has their teeth, in the same number of years.

You'll see that the 4x4 (or similar) implant dentures are a much less expensive option, but the only catch is that you have to pay it all up front.
I feel for younger people needing dentures.. I remember when I was a little girl and everyone had false teeth in their late twenties or early thirties,it was seen as normal and I made up my mind pretty early that it woudlnt happen to me.. Ive been lucky with good teeth at 68 and intend to keep them till I die.... sadly for some with gum infections or dental hygiene not being attended to when young some lose their teeth .. implants are great but expensive in the UK... and Id imagine painful to have done.. but the best option...

Old 09-26-2015, 04:16 PM

4,644 posts, read 4,081,496 times
reed067

I have a girlfriend who is having major work done in order to get to the point of getting dentures. I will save you the gory details but I will say that her work is being done through a dental school, she is financially challenged and has serious dental issues.

Maybe this can/will help you, maybe not but good luck/good health to you regardless.

Asheville, North Carolina - Free Dental Care Clinics

The free dental care facilited listed in our Asheville, North Carolina page are mostly contributed by users like you that help improve the content quality of this free ...

http://www.freedentalcare.us/ci/nc-Asheville

A-B Tech Allied Dental Clinic offers great savings on dental treatment. The services provided are routine dental cleaning, periodontal (deep) cleaning, fluoride treatments, sealants and digital dental radiographs. If the demand for appointments exceeds the number available, we can not guarantee all interested persons an appointment.

https://www.google.com/search?source...360&gws_rd=ssl

Old 09-27-2015, 12:49 PM

13,234 posts, read 10,789,421 times
[quote=reed067;40815925]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
At your age, you'd probably be better off investing in implant dentures. It's true about the lower dentures - they are not going to be very stable. As one of the other posters says here - dentures aren't replacements for teeth. They are replacements for NO teeth. Implant dentures, don't move around, need only minimal yearly professional maintenence (mostly just to check and make sure the posts are sound and there's no further bone loss, and if there is you just get grafting,

This is where I'm confused I've read that good fitting dentures won't move OR fall out. It doesn't matter if they are on the top or bottom.

Properly-fitted dentures won't fall out while you're eating, but you can't eat "anything" with moveable dentures. With implant dentures, you can eat pretty much anything you'd like - though corn on the cob might be awkward - my husband has gotten through it unscathed

I have heard this before & it makes sense.

But - you can't go back and magically have good teeth again. All you can do now is get your smile back and perhaps eat things you probably haven't been able to eat for years. Fixed implant dentures will provide that for you - at a very high cost, financially (a few tens of thousands of dollars - I'm not kidding about the second mortgage.

We're not rich so I don't see that happening.
Get a second job. If you don't have implants, you will lose a large amount of bone mass over time and eventually your face will be deformed and even your dentures could be totally unsupportable in about 20 years. I say do anything short of selling the kids if you have them.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:43 PM

27 posts, read 57,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Maybe I can do implants on the bottom at some point, save me some money as well.
you are right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health