U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2015, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 8,327 times

Advertisements

i need help! i had all my teeth extracted about 2 weeks ago. i had no idea i was going to have to go without teeth for as long as my dentist is telling me. 8 weeks to heal, & another 6 to 8 weeks for my perminate dentures to be made & all that stuff. so ive been looking into immediate dentures, which my insurance doesnt cover but i found a place cheap enough that i can afford to get immediate ones. the problem is, i had no idea about any of this prior to getting my teeth taken out so no mold was done before my extractions. can i still get a mold done to get the temporary dentures even though i already had my teeth extracted? or do i still have to wait weeks & weeks for them to heal??? i cannot stand being so embarassed every time i have to go in public anymore i feel like i am healing quickly... the stiches have almost all fallen out already. the backs are not even holes anymore, like closed slits kind of. & the front are just shallow holes. i need to know if its possible for me to get a mold done any time soon so i can get these temporary dentures? or am i still gonna have to wait forever & just waste my money getting temporary dentures???
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 02:23 PM

13,253 posts, read 38,139,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessa1114 View Post
i need help! i had all my teeth extracted about 2 weeks ago. i had no idea i was going to have to go without teeth for as long as my dentist is telling me. 8 weeks to heal, & another 6 to 8 weeks for my perminate dentures to be made & all that stuff. so ive been looking into immediate dentures, which my insurance doesnt cover but i found a place cheap enough that i can afford to get immediate ones. the problem is, i had no idea about any of this prior to getting my teeth taken out so no mold was done before my extractions. can i still get a mold done to get the temporary dentures even though i already had my teeth extracted? or do i still have to wait weeks & weeks for them to heal??? i cannot stand being so embarassed every time i have to go in public anymore i feel like i am healing quickly... the stiches have almost all fallen out already. the backs are not even holes anymore, like closed slits kind of. & the front are just shallow holes. i need to know if its possible for me to get a mold done any time soon so i can get these temporary dentures? or am i still gonna have to wait forever & just waste my money getting temporary dentures???
Why don't you ask the guy who did your extractions? And why wasn't there any communication between you and your dentist until two weeks after you had the teeth extracted? Didn't you have questions before hand? Didn't you have even a little curiosity as to how long you would be without teeth? I'm just a bit confused about why you didn't ask the dentist any questions before you agreed to letting him pull your teeth out.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 8,327 times
my dentist isnt the one who pulled out my teeth the surgeon he referred me to did. & yes i asked my dentist how long tbey said 6 to 8 weeks. but didnt tell me until afterwards it would be another 6-8 weeks waiting for the dentures after im healed. i didnt even know immediate dentures existed until the surgeon told me about them during my consultation. & also told me my insurance didnt cover those so i honestly didnt that itd even be an option. jve had bad teeth for too long so i just went ahead & got them out & figured i coukd survive 2 months... then come to find out thats just the wait to get things started. so i contacyrd affordable dentures in chilicothe & found a way to come up with the money but they said i was suppose to have gotten a mold done before hand so im still going to have to wait to heal. im just trying to find out if anyonr has been in a similar situation or has any knowelege about immedite/temporary dentures because i have obviously no clue.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:05 PM

16,988 posts, read 10,226,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessa1114 View Post

Interesting, I was told about a month maybe two.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:10 AM

13,253 posts, read 38,139,904 times
There was no reason to be toothless at all. A temporary set of dentures should've been available for you immediately after your teeth were pulled. But now you say it -was- available, and you chose not to get them because insurance didn't cover it.

So I'm not sure what the problem is. You chose not to do it when it was a good idea to do it. Now you'll have to wait. The wait time is pretty long though. If you're a smoker, that might be why. It takes longer for a smoker's mouth to heal after extractions than a non-smoker (or ex-smoker). Maybe the dentist said "UP TO" 2 months. Or maybe that's just when his next available appointment is.

Still though, you should have asked all of this *before* you had the teeth extracted, not after. That was my point. The usual process:

You learn that you need to get your teeth pulled.
You discuss the options with your dentist.
You get a referral to whoever is pulling them, and discuss the process and options with him.
If dentures are involved, you discuss those options, or get a referral to whoever does them, and discuss THAT with them.

THEN, after all of that, you get the teeth pulled.

You don't get the teeth pulled and then wonder what you're going to do with a mouth of sore gums after the fact, unless your teeth were pulled in an emergency situation (like, a raging infection in your mouth travelling toward your brain, for example).

As far as the dentures themselves - temporary (immediate) dentures are typical, common, the usual thing that people who get their teeth extracted usually get right after the teeth are extracted. Most patients know this going in, many find out during their consultation. Very very rarely does anyone discover that they can get non-fixed immediate dentures only after their teeth were extracted.

They don't replace teeth, they typically don't stay in place, they usually slip around a bit because they're worn *while* your mouth is healing, which means your mouth changes shape but the dentures do not. You have to get them relined fairly often, and this typically is part of the healing process and is usually a service provided by whoever put the dentures in, at no -additional- cost.

Then, once your mouth has healed, you get a final set of dentures. Which type depends on which type you chose at the beginning of the process. Implant dentures - there are a few different types. Or moveable dentures, which are like the temporary set, but (hopefully) fitted better to your mouth since your mouth has done all the changing it will do during the healing process and is now ready to take the finished set.

Over time, your mouth will still change - but this is a slow thing that happens over many years. Maybe ten, fifteen, twenty years later, you might need a new set of dentures. That's just part of the aging process.

But ALL of this - is something you should have learned on your FIRST appointment with the dentist, and an appointment with the surgeon BEFORE you had your teeth extracted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or