U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2015, 09:22 PM

2 posts, read 13,347 times

Advertisements

I've had a year long nightmare implant placement. This was following the extraction of a root canal/crowned tooth that I cracked the root of due to clenching and grinding.

The implant process was ridden with problems, but that's another story. The implant finally seems okay now, but I can't get my dentist to put on a crown I'm happy with. He's using zirconia. The first go round, the crown was much too white and I thought it looked terrible. It was also much too large and didn't place well. When he placed it, it hurt a lot and pushed my other teeth out so much that I got a sizable infection. We took the crown out, waited a month and a half for my jaw to heal and he sent the crown back to the lab to get redone/restained. I still don't think the color is right on the new crown, but what's worse is that the shape of the thing is a mess. I'm not sure about
the occlusion either.

The dentist had to grind away A LOT from the crown on top and on the sides to get the bite right and to get it to fit without it being too tight and high. This left me with a marshmallow shaped, not very tooth looking crown (in my opinion). He said the crown should have come perfectly sized from the lab but that my bite and teeth must have shifted since we took the impressions and scans many months ago (this was a long process... But that was because everything kept going wrong...)

What do you think? And what should I do? I'm afraid to go back a third time because I honestly don't have much confidence he can do better. Is it the dentist? Is it the lab? Is he using the wrong tools to fix the bite? Do I just need a new Cerec scan/impression taken? I would be open to porcelain as well. I understand zirconia is more durable, but if it has to look like this I'm not sure it's worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
Is this an acceptable dental crown?-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 09:30 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,308,321 times
Not sure you dentist is competent. I ran into a situation with false teeth upper plate. So off and you could tell when looking. Guy had no clue. After numerous complaints he did have it remade and there was improvement but left the office and found another dentist for future work. Sounds like you have had a time of it and nothings worse than problems in the mouth.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:34 AM

83 posts, read 80,038 times
A dental crown may be required in the accompanying circumstances- To ensure a powerless tooth from decay or to hold together parts of a split tooth. To restore an officially broken tooth or a tooth that has been seriously worn down. If you have an affordable dental insurance then you will cost less for having the dental crown.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:35 AM

13,253 posts, read 38,143,135 times
Just go back to him again. It looks like it's -almost- in the exact same placement as the same tooth on the opposite side of your mouth. It sticks out just as much in the one corner, tucks in just as much as the other corner, is slanted almost exactly the same way. But it looks a little bulbous on the grinding edges, so they might need to flatten those out just a tiny bit. Not too much though. The color is off, that surprises me. But it also depends on what kind of dental company you've been going to. If it's some place like Aspen or Affordable, then you should just accept it as a lesson learned and go to a more reputable company instead of a denture-mill. If you went to a reputable dental group, then they should have no problem acknowledging that the color is obviously off. Are your teeth badly stained? It's hard to tell in that photo, but if it's your natural teeth that are badly stained, then the replacement crown -won't- look like the original. In that case, you might want to consider getting your OTHER teeth whitened at least a shade or two. Then, the difference won't be so obvious.

If your teeth aren't badly stained, then you should tell your dental professional that you are dissatisfied, that the color is off, you are not chewing properly, and whatever other points you want to bring up with him. If he's a reputable professional he'll work with you. But only if you're reasonable. If you go in there saying "This sucks, you suck, I demand justice" and come in full of **** and vinegar and righteous indignation, he might be much MUCH less interested in working to fix the problem. (Not saying that you would do that, but you might find people on this forum who's recommend that you go in there guns ablazing and demand justice or threaten to sue).

Old 08-19-2015, 06:30 AM

2 posts, read 13,347 times
Thanks for the response everybody. I feel like the dentist would work with me, but I just keep going back and back so it seems like you have to draw the line somewhere. Like I said, I don't know if we can get to a better place.

@AnonChick--this definitely wasn't a denture mill. I went to a reputable, top-rated dentist and paid top dollar out of pocket (I've since managed to get insurance--but a lot of the issues I ran into with the old root canal and crown were compounded by the fact that I was on state insurance and wasn't getting the best work done to begin with IMHO).

I think the color is off too, but it's leagues better than the first attempt which was basically pearl white. I'll attach that photo. I guess my teeth are a little more stained than I'd thought, but I don't think they're beyond matching. My mom, for example, just got a crown and her back molars are significantly more stained but that's a way better color match (although hers is porcelain). I'm in my early 20s and I drink coffee a few times a week but I just don't see how the stains could be that horrible. If anything, on the sides the color is closer, which surprises me, because I thought these things were the same color throughout, so changing the bite shouldn't affect color.

The thing that gets me most is the shape. I'll attach what the crown looked like out of the box. That was a good shape! But all the grinding away left this looking... much much different I think. Maybe this dentist isn't as comfortable with zirconia, I'm not sure, but this was his recommendation.
Attached Thumbnails
Is this an acceptable dental crown?-fullsizerender.jpg   Is this an acceptable dental crown?-img_4953.jpg   Is this an acceptable dental crown?-fullsizerender-1.jpg   Is this an acceptable dental crown?-img_5204.jpg   Is this an acceptable dental crown?-img_5209.jpg  

Old 08-19-2015, 04:41 PM

13,253 posts, read 38,143,135 times
Well first of all, remember this is a molar. It's not something most people will see, not even if you smile, or laugh. Most people don't open their mouths that wide when they laugh. So don't obsess too much about the color.

Second, zirconia is known for -not- being very asthetically pleasing. It is known for its strength, which makes it a good choice for a molar. The most important thing for a molar crown would be the bite and strength. How it looks is of very little importance.

Third, that particular tooth color isn't all too far off from your front teeth color. It looks more like the two teeth next to the crown are just badly stained, and so are a couple of teeth on the other side of your mouth. Those side teeth are definitely more stained than your front teeth - but rather than try to dye your front teeth to be as stained as your side teeth, you'd probably prefer to whiten the side teeth. That's what I'm suggesting, with regards to the color difference between the rather white-hued molar, and the stained side teeth. Just get those teeth whitened. The front teeth look great, a nice "seasoned ivory" hue.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:08 AM

10 posts, read 21,632 times
Crowns are forever solidified into place. The tooth-crown unit that outcomes capacities and is administered to simply like a natural tooth. You need to do complaint against it if the crown is not placed properly. Sometimes, it takes few more days to fix properly.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:31 PM

5,273 posts, read 12,881,918 times
The crown does look a little high. The shade doesn't concern me due to where it is. It could be a lab problem or it could be an impression problem.

I also wondered if the actual making of the crown wasn't being done off-shore. That's a trend that saves the doctors money but provides lousy crowns.

Were it me, I'd ask the dentist if the crown is being fully fabricated locally or if it's off-shore. If locally, then you may want to meet with the lab people and see what the problem may be.

My last resort suggestion is to ask for your money back and then go to a prosthodontist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or