U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2015, 04:09 PM

275 posts, read 247,332 times

Advertisements

I am 38 now and I start seeing dental issues that scare me, I have a dead tooth in my mouth, which hurts when I bite. My gums are receeding so my teeth are loose. dental things are expensive and I need the best insurance I can get for my money. Which dental insurance is the best to get in the NY area? Can I get a national one thats better? I need some implants. i see people saying it cost 4-5 thousand a tooth, but then I see speicals online line Contemporary Dental Implant Centre Affordable Dental Implants only $395 9 convenient locations in New York Metro area and Connecticut should I be scared of these dentist? They could butcher me and drill to high into my sinus and damage me for life, but I dont have much money and I do need my teeth fix. I was raised with the idea if it was too good to be true it probably is. I work 2 jobs in NYC just to make ends meet so I cant meet them at the dentist office at at 2 PM like they want
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 08:24 PM

13,253 posts, read 38,143,135 times
Implants cost around 3-5 thousand per tooth, whether you have insurance or not. Dental insurance isn't really insurance, it's a discount plan, that only covers certain things, and implants are usually not one of them.

Personally I would avoid the "chain store" dental companies like the plague. Not because they could "butcher" you - any dentist could make a mistake, any doctor can make a mistake, any car mechanic could make a mistake, any grocery clerk could make a mistake. Mistakes happen, it has nothing to do with whether you're at a chain store or not. What the problem is with them, is that they typically recommend procedures that are not necessary, and will convince you that you need them. And - most of them do NOT accept the more common dental plans, and will only accept credit plans like Care Credit. That's basically a medical credit card. You pay in full before the end of the year, or you have to pay 29% interest, compounded daily on the daily balance.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:44 AM

5,273 posts, read 12,881,918 times
Here is a thought to consider...

Over the next 30 years if you continue on as now, perio maintenance, extractions, implants w/crowns, root canals... and you will probably spend $30K or so.

There is a denture system called "all on four". It can work well if you have an oral surgeon on board (extractions, placing implants) and a good general dentist to make the dentures. In theory, it lasts a lifetime- but the dentures will probably have to be replaced in about 20 years. Total cost should be about $18-20K. And all those visits and painful times never happen.

To be sure, I am NOT an advocate for having all your teeth extracted, but in this case it may be worth thinking about.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:49 AM

129 posts, read 250,594 times
you can make time for a 2pm appointment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or