Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 04:27 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,529,645 times

Advertisements

I'm having to very strongly consider getting dentures. My dentist says that there is so much decay that I should have what's left pulled & have dentures.

Straight off the bat I'm scared s***tless of the dentist. Not to mention at the age of 47 I'm embarrassed to have this done. I've heard positive & horror stories about dentures. I've heard that the bottoms fall out a lot & that concerns me, last thing I want is for something to fall out in a social setting. Sounds a bit lame I'm sure. I've also heard that IF dentures fit right then they shouldn't move or fall out at any time.
Can anyone PLEASE offer some advice who has had experiences with dentures personally??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 08:01 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
At your age, you'd probably be better off investing in implant dentures. It's true about the lower dentures - they are not going to be very stable. As one of the other posters says here - dentures aren't replacements for teeth. They are replacements for NO teeth. Implant dentures, don't move around, need only minimal yearly professional maintenence (mostly just to check and make sure the posts are sound and there's no further bone loss, and if there is you just get grafting, it's not nearly as big a deal as the descriptions sound on the internet).

Properly-fitted dentures won't fall out while you're eating, but you can't eat "anything" with moveable dentures. With implant dentures, you can eat pretty much anything you'd like - though corn on the cob might be awkward - my husband has gotten through it unscathed

They're incredibly expensive - you might need to take out a second mortgage or tap into your equity line of credit. But you'll be something other than an old decrepit man living in an old age home waiting for that last breath, for at least another few decades. So teeth that serve more of a function than a nice smile are more important to you, than they might be to someone whose lost their teeth at age 80.

The extractions are the most traumatic part of it, but you'll be unconscious for the actual procedure (assuming you have several teeth to extract - my husband had 22 of them taken out all at once, they were ALL rotten). He expressed to me that yes, recovery is very painful, pain meds help somewhat, but the hardest part was coming to grips that he was still a relatively young man with no teeth. It was more a regret thing - regret that he didn't keep his teeth in good shape and just let them fall into such horrible condition that they had to be pulled out. That was harder for him than the extractions themselves.

But - you can't go back and magically have good teeth again. All you can do now is get your smile back and perhaps eat things you probably haven't been able to eat for years. Fixed implant dentures will provide that for you - at a very high cost, financially (a few tens of thousands of dollars - I'm not kidding about the second mortgage).

Old 08-14-2015, 05:30 AM

[quote=AnonChick;40813050]At your age, you'd probably be better off investing in implant dentures. It's true about the lower dentures - they are not going to be very stable. As one of the other posters says here - dentures aren't replacements for teeth. They are replacements for NO teeth. Implant dentures, don't move around, need only minimal yearly professional maintenence (mostly just to check and make sure the posts are sound and there's no further bone loss, and if there is you just get grafting,

This is where I'm confused I've read that good fitting dentures won't move OR fall out. It doesn't matter if they are on the top or bottom.

Properly-fitted dentures won't fall out while you're eating, but you can't eat "anything" with moveable dentures. With implant dentures, you can eat pretty much anything you'd like - though corn on the cob might be awkward - my husband has gotten through it unscathed

I have heard this before & it makes sense.

But - you can't go back and magically have good teeth again. All you can do now is get your smile back and perhaps eat things you probably haven't been able to eat for years. Fixed implant dentures will provide that for you - at a very high cost, financially (a few tens of thousands of dollars - I'm not kidding about the second mortgage.

We're not rich so I don't see that happening.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:39 AM

129 posts, read 304,086 times
it shouldnt cost you few tens of thousands. (unless you need some major major work and reconstruction)
you can use mini implants for dentures. very cost effective.

you dont have to be rich. lots of financing options available. its a great investment. and depending on the route you go, they'll (implants) last your lifetime.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRunner View Post
it shouldnt cost you few tens of thousands. (unless you need some major major work and reconstruction)
you can use mini implants for dentures. very cost effective.

you dont have to be rich. lots of financing options available. its a great investment. and depending on the route you go, they'll (implants) last your lifetime.
If someone needs a FULL SET, top and bottom, they could get the 4 on 4's - that'd be 4 implants on top, 4 on bottom, and the dentures are made to snap on the implants. They can snap off and on, but once they're on, they stay put til you pull them off again.

But that still involves 8 implants, and each implant can cost up to $4,000 - so that's $16,000 JUST for the implants. That doesn't include the cost of the extractions, and any bone grafting needed, and the cost of the dentures. So yes, the total cost can most certainly go up to the tens of thousands of dollars. Insurance doesn't cover implant dentures at all, and many dental plans don't cover dentures - and the ones that do, will not cover fixed dentures, only moveable ones.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:41 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,780,077 times
Some here mention that "properly fitted" dentures should not fall out. This is not entirely true. If you have little bone left to support the dentures then they will fall out regardless of how well they are fitted. This is something that is often blamed on the dentist while it's actually the patient's own biology that is the deciding factor.

The ideal treatment to replace all teeth with implants is often a fixed hybrid denture on 4-6 implant on each arch. This usually runs about $20,000 to $25,000 per arch.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:45 PM

Maybe I can do implants on the bottom at some point, save me some money as well.

Old 08-15-2015, 04:13 PM

629 posts, read 933,116 times
toofache32 is right. Even the best-made denture from the best prosthodontist using the best dental lab in the world will not be stable if the PATIENT does not have enough bone in their jaw. The dentist can only control so many factors.

Yes, the ideal treatment is 8-12 implants and teeth that are screwed into them that you don't take out. As toofache mentioned, the cost is around $25K per arch. If you are looking for something more cost-effective, then do a traditional denture at the top and 2 implants on the bottom with a denture that snaps in (you still have to take it out at night). More implants of course would be better and provide more stability, but 2 implants will at least help keep the bottom denture from sliding around. As mentioned before, this all depends on how much bone you have. Try to get as many implants as you can afford as the implants will help to prevent further bone loss once the teeth are removed. Talk to your dentist and/or surgeon and start saving money.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:41 PM

129 posts, read 304,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If someone needs a FULL SET, top and bottom, they could get the 4 on 4's - that'd be 4 implants on top, 4 on bottom, and the dentures are made to snap on the implants. They can snap off and on, but once they're on, they stay put til you pull them off again.

But that still involves 8 implants, and each implant can cost up to $4,000 - so that's $16,000 JUST for the implants. That doesn't include the cost of the extractions, and any bone grafting needed, and the cost of the dentures. So yes, the total cost can most certainly go up to the tens of thousands of dollars. Insurance doesn't cover implant dentures at all, and many dental plans don't cover dentures - and the ones that do, will not cover fixed dentures, only moveable ones.
well yes, if youre doing top AND botton with traditional implants, itll be expensive.
but i was talking about mini implants.
depending on their situation you can go even "cheaper" and use minis. ideal or not, it certainly is an option nowadays to stabilize a denture.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRunner View Post
well yes, if youre doing top AND botton with traditional implants, itll be expensive.
but i was talking about mini implants.
depending on their situation you can go even "cheaper" and use minis. ideal or not, it certainly is an option nowadays to stabilize a denture.
Well the OP was talking about getting a full set of dentures, and he isn't even 50 years old yet. Assume he'll live til he's 90, and that means he has another 40 years of wearing dentures. Dentures don't usually become the prognosis for most people, until they're in their 60's or later. So figure he has around 20 years of needing dentures, that most people don't need.

Now break that investment down over how many years, and compare that with the average cost of dental care for someone who still has their teeth, in the same number of years.

You'll see that the 4x4 (or similar) implant dentures are a much less expensive option, but the only catch is that you have to pay it all up front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health