U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 01:00 PM

99 posts, read 100,481 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have a Maryland bridge on my front bottom teeth. The gap is actually so large the bridge has three fake teeth in it. It got loose and fell off about a year ago, but it was in good condition so my dentist just cemented it back on. He told me I should look into dental implants if it starts getting loose again. So... it's getting loose again. I know it's very expensive in DC, so I was looking at some dentists where I'm from (Carroll County, Maryland). I suppose I would need three implants, and what would the dentist do about the four surrounding teeth that were shaved down to support the bridge? How much should I anticipate this costing? I am supporting myself 100% at 23 and I have a decent job... but I definitely don't have $7,000 sitting in the bank. How would I pay for it?

Thanks for any advice (even better for recommendations of doctors in the NoVA or Baltimore area).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 04:51 PM

13,253 posts, read 38,143,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etsmaca View Post
Hi all,

I have a Maryland bridge on my front bottom teeth. The gap is actually so large the bridge has three fake teeth in it. It got loose and fell off about a year ago, but it was in good condition so my dentist just cemented it back on. He told me I should look into dental implants if it starts getting loose again. So... it's getting loose again. I know it's very expensive in DC, so I was looking at some dentists where I'm from (Carroll County, Maryland). I suppose I would need three implants, and what would the dentist do about the four surrounding teeth that were shaved down to support the bridge? How much should I anticipate this costing? I am supporting myself 100% at 23 and I have a decent job... but I definitely don't have $7,000 sitting in the bank. How would I pay for it?

Thanks for any advice (even better for recommendations of doctors in the NoVA or Baltimore area).
You can pay it off with Care Credit - it's a medical-based credit card. You basically get a year to pay the bill off in full, and if there's any balance at the end of the year, they start charging something insane like 29% interest.

What would they do with the shaved-down teeth? Well if the teeth themselves are in good shape they'd probably just crown them.

If you assume the worst, it might set you back around $10,000 total for everything. But you could put 2-3K up front, then you'd owe around $7,000, and you'd have a year to pay it off. That's just over $500/month.

Between now and a year from now, you could look into getting a small loan to pay off any balance you think you'll have - and then continue owing, but on a loan instead of a credit card, which comes with a much lower rate of interest (though you'd have to start paying interest right away instead of waiting a year).

Before you go through all that trouble though, you might consider getting a second opinion. If the bridge is in good shape, and your "shaved" teeth are in good shape, and there's no bone loss, and everything looks fine, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't just cement it back on again.

Make sure you go over the details on the implants OR a possible replacement bridge with whoever you choose to visit, including "what will my smile look like while I'm waiting for the implants, when the posts are initially drilled, when the healing caps come off, and while I wait for the crowns to be created?"

They might give you a temporary partial denture (basically - a bridge) so that you don't have to walk around with no front teeth while their prosthesis artist is creating your new smile, which can take a couple weeks. Plus, the process of getting an implant takes a few months, assuming you don't need grafting. If you do need grafting, it could be as long as a year.

The good news on this:

IF it takes that long - then you only pay for the portions they're doing during each specific visit. You don't pay for the final product, until you go in to have the final product placed. So you might only have to pay $2,000 "now" and then another $1500 next time, then four months later, another $2000 and then the final payment of $4500.

This will give you more time to pay off the earlier balances before the next payment is due.

Lastly: if you have a dental plan, get a dentist that's IN-NETWORK. *EVEN IF IMPLANTS AREN'T COVERED* then make SURE your dentist's office submits a treatment schedule to the dental plan. Often, if you get the work done in-network, then the dentist will not charge you the full price, because he has agreed with your plan to charge a discount to the plan's patients.

So always try to get in-network if you have a plan, and always have them submit for preapproval. The very worst thing that can happen is - you don't get approved, and you have to pay full price. The best that can happen is that some of the work is covered, and the rest of the work comes to you at a discounted rate.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:43 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
32,144 posts, read 58,594,294 times
I had two done, and have dental insurance through my work, and also through my wife's. All together it cost me $3,000, with the insurances paying about the same. It took almost two years start to finish, juggling annual maximums, and waiting for the bone grafts to take. You can get dental insurance for about $50/month, but they will have a one-year waiting period for crowns and implants. You can have the extraction done and buy insurance, then manage without that tooth for a year and depending on their implant coverage it may save you quite a bit. Most dentists, if you have been a regular patient, will let you make payments without interest. If you have a medical savings account or flexible spending through your employer, you can use those for implants.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:38 AM

5,273 posts, read 12,881,918 times
I can tell you what not to do.

Don't go price shopping. You often get a doctor who has a higher rate of failure.

Don't go to a general dentist. Sure they can place implants, but an oral surgeon has more training and skill.

Don't do something like Mexico or a third world country. Yeah, it's dirt cheap, but a much higher rate of infection. Feel like losing your entire jaw?

The problem is this... there are some things that if you want them done right, you simply have to pay the freight.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:31 PM

611 posts, read 518,326 times
CareCredit and other 3rd-Party financing companies also have extended plans up to 60 months. Interest rate is around 15%. Also you can get a loan from your bank or credit union.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:05 PM

6,043 posts, read 5,619,134 times
I'm sorry that I can't help you with how to pay - I had 2 done at the same time and it cost overall about $10,000, and I never could have afforded that when I was young.

But it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

First an oral surgeon implants the screws into your jaw. This didn't hurt because it's like any surgery - they knock you completely out.

Then you have to go to a dentist who does implants to take you the rest of the way. This takes time, as the implants and your jawbone and gums have to successfuly adapt to one another and settle (just couldn't think of the right word for this.) You will have to have temporary caps over the screws during this period. For me, the temp caps were a problem and occasionally really hurt and had to be removed and replaced.

Once your dentist feels that the implant has successfully settled you will get artificial teeth that screw into the implant. What a relief this was!

I have had no problems at all with my mouth adjusting to the implants, but some people do, so beware. You have to be sure to practice excellent oral hygiene during the whole period so that you don't get an infection and to speed the healing process.

IMHO, if you can't get implants now, it would be smarter to get a temporary bridge than to get cheaply done implants. This is your mouth/jaw and if you screw it up now you'll suffer your entire life. You can always get implants in the future.

You might look into going to a dental school, though. Those dental students have to practice on someone! If you do, though, find out what kind of long term care will be provided for you.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:07 AM

83 posts, read 80,038 times
If you need to do three implants then, you need to search for affordable dental plans. I can't say exactly how much it will cost for you. But, these plans will cost you less and you will get the best treatment.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:55 PM

27 posts, read 57,737 times
Implant dentistry is the most advanced therapy available for replacing missing teeth. Dental implant restorations generally look, feel and act like natural teeth. Patients who have been treated with implants are able to chew all the foods they desire and no longer have to suffer the embarrassment of having gaps in their smile or deal with appliances such as dentures and bridges.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:31 AM

1,552 posts, read 1,939,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCraig View Post
If you need to do three implants then, you need to search for affordable dental plans. I can't say exactly how much it will cost for you. But, these plans will cost you less and you will get the best treatment.
What makes you think you will get "the best treatment" by shopping for the lowest bidder?

Old 09-30-2016, 05:24 AM

44 posts, read 26,007 times
if you want to find out more about dental implants cost, you can compare prices on dentalimplantsfriends com. They list lots of dental centers and provide tons of info as prices, reviews, stats and so on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or