U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2015, 01:44 PM

107 posts, read 159,250 times

Advertisements

I started getting a dull toothache in one of my bottom right molars in June (3 months ago) that would come and go, usually brought on by cold drinks or food, so I called my dentist to see when my upcoming 6-month routine appointment was. I was scheduled for the first week of July, so I waited it out.

At my next appointment they did the regular cleaning and took x-rays to see where the source of the pain was coming from. The x-rays and cold/bite tests were unable to detect anything. The dentist said everything looked fine, there was nothing they could do, and to please give them a call if the toothache persists.

A month later, the lingering dull tootache started getting worse. Every time I drank or ate something cold, the pain would last for about an hour, and sometimes the pain would come out of nowhere, like in the middle of the night. When biting down on my bottom right teeth, the pain was very noticable.

So in the middle of August, I went back to the dentist for the 2nd time, and x-rays/tests still showed nothing. This time the dentist referred me to an endodontist, and a week later I went in to see the endodontist.

The endodontist did the same thing, x-rays & bite tests and was also unable to detect where the pain was coming from. Before leaving, he decided to do one final bite test, and finally I felt the sharp pain. The toothache was in tooth 31. There was an old filling on that tooth and he recommended going back to the original dentist and getting the filling replaced.

About a week after that, at the end of August, I went back to the original dentist for the 3rd time and he replaced the filling. The procedure was incredibly painful, worse than any procedure I've been through, presumably because the numbing agent hadn't kicked in. The next morning I woke up and for the first time in weeks there was no toothache. I could finally drink cold water without any pain. Absolutely no pain.. until 2 weeks later.

Two weeks later, I happenend to drink something cold and noticed the same toothache as before. Like before, it started as a lingering dull ache and has now progressed to a more painful ache every time I eat or drink anything, even at room temperature now.

So finally last week I went in again to the dentist, 4th time since July, and x-rays/bite tests showed nothing. He believes the nerve in the tooth that had the filling replaced is dying and I'll need a root canal. Once again, he referrred me to the endodontist.

I can't afford to keep getting these expensive dental procedures done, especially when the dentist and endodontist can't exactly detect where it is. Last night I woke up in the middle of the night and the same tooth (tooth 31) was in throbbing pain which lasted for about an hour. Today I've just felt a dull ache for most of the day.

What do you suggest I do now? Should I just wait this out until it becomes unbearable? Maybe then it will be detectable to the endodontist? I'm at a loss and just want these toothaches to go away for good.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 01:49 PM

6,319 posts, read 6,067,310 times
Yerp, a long sad history of dental problems tells me this tooth needs extraction.

Sorry they charged you but its the Way of the Dentist.

What they DONT tell you until after the root canal, is that root canals (which they will try to sell you, you have an infection) will likely not save the tooth for long.

They do, but they also WEAKEN it, and if you've already had 2 fillings the tooth is most likely weakened beyond repair, and the pain tells me they left infection under the filling.

So - extraction is probably the only way to go but they WILL try to sell you a root canal. I had 6 root canals followed by 6 extractions so I know first hand this is usually a temporary stop gap to a permanent problem and usually only extends your suffering. They wont tell you this.

Sorry - I know first hand it hurts like a b*tch including your wallet.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:53 PM

2,934 posts, read 4,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Yerp, a long sad history of dental problems tells me this tooth needs extraction.

Sorry they charged you but its the Way of the Dentist.

What they DONT tell you until after the root canal, is that root canals (which they will try to sell you, you have an infection) will likely not save the tooth for long.

They do, but they also WEAKEN it, and if you've already had 2 fillings the tooth is most likely weakened beyond repair, and the pain tells me they left infection under the filling.

So - extraction is probably the only way to go but they WILL try to sell you a root canal. I had 6 root canals followed by 6 extractions so I know first hand this is usually a temporary stop gap to a permanent problem and usually only extends your suffering. They wont tell you this.

Sorry - I know first hand it hurts like a b*tch including your wallet.

I've had several root canals over the years (one back in the late 1960's) & never had a problem.

Everyone is different.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:03 PM

Lucky you, the chances are they used actual concrete back then hahah!

Same with the old black fillings, they lasted decades longer than the new amalgam are expected to.

OP has already had the same tooth filled twice - each time causes more damage.

Sounds like he has infection in there too - which rots the gum...entirely more advanced than an ordinary root canal where the root is the only part replaced. He may have even lost bone, which is what had happened to me.

OP you need antibiotics and another xray at the very least.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:16 PM

Thanks for the responses, guys!

The x-rays they took last Thursday didn't show anything wrong. I voiced my concern to the dentist and endodontist about possible infection, and both said there was no sign of infection. The endodontist was most convincing that I don't need to worry about an infection.

I don't know what to think. If the toothache hasn't subsided any by next week, I'll make an appointment again with the endodontist.. or maybe another one. He's an older experienced doctor and gets great reviews online, so I think he's as trustworthy as anyone else.

My main concern is getting the root canal done and then having the pain return in the near future.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:42 AM

5,273 posts, read 12,880,953 times
If there is no infection it may be a root fracture. I had one that persisted for 20 years. Often they are undetectable with an x-ray.

It's a tough choice, but were it me I'd start with the root canal and see how it goes. If that fails, an extraction is your only option.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:41 AM

Well, the good news is that I haven't felt any toothache in the last 2 days. There's just a slight dull ache when I eat or drink, but it goes away within a few seconds.

I've had a few headaches.. hopefully not a sign that infection has spread to my head..

Anyway, I'm on such a tight budget now that I'll have to wait until the tootache inevitably returns with a vengeance. Keeping my fingers crossed that won't be for a while.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:58 PM

Theres dental pain, such as you seem to be describing, which could well be a bruised root from all the trauma.

Then theres Dental Pain, which does not subside but only gets worse and makes you want to throw yourself off the nearest cliff. You know if you have the latter so I suggest you have the former.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:36 PM

5,273 posts, read 12,880,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler15 View Post
Well, the good news is that I haven't felt any toothache in the last 2 days. There's just a slight dull ache when I eat or drink, but it goes away within a few seconds.

I've had a few headaches.. hopefully not a sign that infection has spread to my head..

Anyway, I'm on such a tight budget now that I'll have to wait until the tootache inevitably returns with a vengeance. Keeping my fingers crossed that won't be for a while.
Despite your current state of monetary affairs, I want to encourage you to deal with this now rather than later.

The last thing you want to do is wait for the tooth to 'explode'. Massive infections kill people. I get about 3 dental death claims per year from infection and many hospitalizations. Why get to that point? Were it me, I'd go to the general dentist or endodontist and demand you be taken out of pain.

Best of luck.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:34 PM

I have an appointment with the endo in 1 hour. Really nervous since I'm developing a phobia of these dental/endodontist offices. Moreover, I haven't had any pain since my last post, so I'm concerned I'll get a misdiagnosis.

However like BLAZER PROPHET mentioned, the last thing I want is for this tooth to eventually explode.

Oh well, I just took an anti-anxiety med and I'm ready to go.. wish my luck! LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health