U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 08:39 AM

350 posts, read 391,870 times

Advertisements

Most insurance plans will have a waiting period for certain procedures (which is to prevent people from enrolling just long enough to get expensive procedures and then cancel). Those waiting periods may vary depending on the procedure.

When I had my wisdom teeth removed, they could be done in a dental office and were covered under my dental insurance, however, when my daughter had hers done, it was more involved and ended up being a considered a medical procedure and was covered under our regular insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 08:47 AM

13,464 posts, read 21,831,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhorsewoman View Post
Most insurance plans will have a waiting period for certain procedures (which is to prevent people from enrolling just long enough to get expensive procedures and then cancel). Those waiting periods may vary depending on the procedure.

When I had my wisdom teeth removed, they could be done in a dental office and were covered under my dental insurance, however, when my daughter had hers done, it was more involved and ended up being a considered a medical procedure and was covered under our regular insurance.
That's how I thought it would go with my son. He has a $1000/yr cap on the dental, so I expected to only have to pay the balance. Both the dental and the medical were denied. He's across the country from me at this point, so I told him to just go ahead and get it taken care of.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:42 AM

2,278 posts, read 2,752,779 times
Quote:

Yup, I was talking to my father about it. From what I understand about dental insurance, there is a waiting period. I've heard some have a waiting period of 12 months. That's fine. I am interested in seeing a regular dentist for basic care and cleaning. It's been a very long time since I was seen at a dentist. Pretty sure some fillins fell out in the years.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:56 PM

6,157 posts, read 9,640,853 times
Take a trip to Los Algodones, Mexico! It is a "dental town" right on the border across from Yuma.

Fast, Cheap Dental Work Makes Mexican Town A Tourist Magnet : Shots - Health News : NPR

Old 09-21-2015, 05:03 PM

2,278 posts, read 2,752,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Take a trip to Los Algodones, Mexico! It is a "dental town" right on the border across from Yuma.

Fast, Cheap Dental Work Makes Mexican Town A Tourist Magnet : Shots - Health News : NPR
Oh boy, how sad is it we gotta go to another country for affordable healthcare.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:08 PM

350 posts, read 391,870 times
Mattie, not sure of your situation, but a reaching dental cap doesn't automatically rollover to a medical expense. My daughter's wisdom teeth were not able to be done in a dental office. The procedure was done by a medical doctor and was pre-approved before we did it.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:16 PM

13,464 posts, read 21,831,058 times
Quote:
Mattie, not sure of your situation, but a reaching dental cap doesn't automatically rollover to a medical expense. My daughter's wisdom teeth were not able to be done in a dental office. The procedure was done by a medical doctor and was pre-approved before we did it.
Thanks, I understand that. Since it was being done by an oral surgeon, under general anesthesia, I thought the anesthesia would be covered under medical. It wasn't ($500.)

Old 09-23-2015, 04:45 PM

343 posts, read 356,114 times
Some dental insurances will pay for tooth extraction done by a General Dentist but not by an Oral Surgeon. So if your General Dentist thinks extraction is too difficult (simple extraction vs surgical) and send you to Oral Surgeon, you have to pay, they will not pay a penny. Also, dental insurances have a last word on wisdom teeth extraction: let say Oral Surgeon recommends extraction for all wisdom teeth. Well, dental insurance people look at x-ray pictures and decide that they only pay for bottom wisdom teeth extraction , but not for the top....The same with IV sedation.... Sometimes they think IV sedation it is not necessary and will not pay...So you are stuck with having your wisdom teeth extracted with local anesthesia or to pay for IV sedation from your pocket.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:38 PM

1 posts, read 522 times
Hi.. My daughter has done her accelerated orthodontics treatment in Short Term Braces, Texas ( Comprehensive Orthodontics Houston | Short Term Braces ) and I am not sure whether she has availed any insurance for that. Kindly check it with any insurance agencies. And be careful in choosing your insurance agency and also check whether their terms and conditions are acceptable.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:06 AM

13,234 posts, read 10,785,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Hello all. So I haven't seen a dentist in nearly 25 years! I'm searching around for dental insurance that will cover possible surgery for tooth extractions. I really don't know what's going on with my wisdom teeth. One day pain started to radiate all around my right jaw area. Some days the pain is severe. I'm pretty sure it's my wisdom teeth and am looking for worst case scenario, which is surgery perhaps. So, can anyone recommend a dental insurance plan or any aspect of dental insurance that would cover this? Thanks.
Stop wishing you could game the system - it's precisely the idea of getting insurance when you need it, and then dropping it, that has led to a situation where dental plans don't cover much. How do you expect the companies to cover claims if no one wants to pay their premiums except for a month or two when they need expensive dental work done? Ins companies are not charities.

If you want charity (i.e. something for nothing or nearly so) your best bet is to find a dental school that will do it for a reduced price. If you find a dental charity event, be sure to get in line as soon as possible, even if you have to go at 5 AM and wait for many hours. To give one example of what can happen:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...751_story.html

Last edited by ncole1; 11-27-2015 at 09:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or