U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 10:45 AM

12 posts, read 128,784 times

Advertisements

I had a gum graft procedure a bit over two weeks ago. My post-op instructions include avoiding straws, carbonated beverages, and alcohol until told otherwise. I had my 2-week checkup the other day and the dentist said everything is healing amazingly well. They told me to keep eating the way I have been (carefully and on the opposite side of my mouth) but did not mention anything about whether it is ok now to start using a straw or drink soda and alcohol. And my fault, I forgot to ask. Does anyone here know how long after the surgery one can start drinking alcohol again? (Or using straws, for that matter?) I don't know if the restriction is just meant for the first few days after surgery and the dentist just forgot to mention it when I was last in, or if it truly is harmful even weeks into healing. I tend to be overly cautious with these things because it isn't worth the trouble it would cause if I messed up the healing process over somerhing stupid. I'm not a heavy drinker by any means, but I'm going to a wedding soon, and it would be nice to know whether it's ok to have a glass of wine or two. If I shouldn't, I won't, but I'd be dissapointed to find out after the fact that it would have been just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 04:28 PM

1,552 posts, read 1,938,013 times
Just call back and ask. You don't want to move forward too quickly, and create a problem and then say, "but the people on the internet said it was OK...."

Old 10-11-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Just call back and ask. You don't want to move forward too quickly, and create a problem and then say, "but the people on the internet said it was OK...."
I know, you're right. I've bugged them so much about other stuff that I feel like such a nuissance. Thought it would be worth asking to try to reduce how much I annoy them, especially considering I'll be doing this again in a few months.

I just don't know the reason for no alcohol. For example, it it's related to how it affects the stitches... I already have mine out so it wouldn't matter. So maybe my question is more along the lines of: Why is it bad to drink alcohol after a gum graft?

I wasn't supposed to have anything with cirtus in it, either. I bought orange juice the day before the procedure and haven't even opened it. Can I seriously still not drink it? Seems like a long time out. I'm annoyed at myself for forgetting to ask when I was in this past week. I was too stressed with getting the stitches out.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:10 AM

5,273 posts, read 12,879,863 times
The answer depends, in part, on the full extent of the procedure and how your gums look during healing.

As already stated, you must call and ask. There is no way in hell we can possible tell you the answers to your questions.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:50 PM

Wow, sorry. I didn't mean to attract such a negative response. If you can't provide an answer, just don't answer. No big deal. I thought maybe someone out there would know what role alcohol plays in preventing the healing of gums or why it was suggested to be avoided. I'm sure there are people who do know. There are other dental forums out there online where people get responses to similar questions all the time.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveTheWeather View Post
Wow, sorry. I didn't mean to attract such a negative response. If you can't provide an answer, just don't answer. No big deal. I thought maybe someone out there would know what role alcohol plays in preventing the healing of gums or why it was suggested to be avoided. I'm sure there are people who do know. There are other dental forums out there online where people get responses to similar questions all the time.
Tell ya what, sport, if you do find the answers to your questions, let us know for the good of the community.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:27 PM

Ok, I will. Did I say something wrong? I don't see how my question was out of line or any different from other questions posted to the forum. Not that anyone said it was, but the above response is pretty rude.

I think that alcohol only slows the healing process but does not prevent it. But, once I get a hold of the dentist I'll know for sure. If anyone who knows can shed some light, that'd be cool. The office has really limited hours, and it's hard to get a hold of them with my work schedule. I stress a lot about my teeth, so it would be nice to know in the mean time.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveTheWeather View Post
Ok, I will. Did I say something wrong? I don't see how my question was out of line or any different from other questions posted to the forum. Not that anyone said it was, but the above response is pretty rude.

I think that alcohol only slows the healing process but does not prevent it. But, once I get a hold of the dentist I'll know for sure. If anyone who knows can shed some light, that'd be cool. The office has really limited hours, and it's hard to get a hold of them with my work schedule. I stress a lot about my teeth, so it would be nice to know in the mean time.
It seems to me there are some general questions that people can opine upon and others that can only be answered by the doctor and/or upon examination. Yours struck me as a doctor only type question. Gingival surgeries can be very delicate and difficult to heal properly. As such, questions about how much alcohol to have and when can I use straws should be left to your dentist.

But I really would like to know about alcohol and it's effect on gingival surgeries.

Lastly, it was not my intent to insult you, but rather I was joshin' with you.

Peace out, home boy [see, more joshin']

Old 10-14-2015, 01:05 PM

2,934 posts, read 4,662,278 times
Alcohol may be contraindicated with pain meds. What does the doc say?

Old 10-19-2015, 03:03 AM

I've been off pain meds for two weeks now, so that's no problem.
I talked to the dentist, and they said alcohol is fine now, but still no straws or carbonated drinks. I go back in in a few days for my four-week post op appointment, so we'll see if there's any news then.

Still not sure what it is about alcohol that makes it potentially harmful. But, doesn't matter. The wedding was fun and I was able to have my wine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or