U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-31-2015, 02:41 PM
 
1,552 posts, read 1,939,048 times
Reputation: 2379

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseOne View Post
Seriously doubt that you are a dentist.
Fine by me. I am not a dentist then. It doesn't change the truth of my statements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-06-2015, 09:13 AM
 
611 posts, read 518,326 times
Reputation: 1030
I am a dentist. I get patients all the time who haven't seen a dentist since forever. When I asked why they haven't been to the dentist in so long, the answer was always "I didn't have dental insurance". It's all about value. People will spend money on something if they value it. Everyday I see people in long lines waiting for $8 lattes and $5 muffins but they won't get a dental cleaning if they have to pay anything for it. Whatever, I guess. It's not my mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 10:37 AM
 
1,552 posts, read 1,939,048 times
Reputation: 2379
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
I am a dentist. I get patients all the time who haven't seen a dentist since forever. When I asked why they haven't been to the dentist in so long, the answer was always "I didn't have dental insurance". It's all about value. People will spend money on something if they value it. Everyday I see people in long lines waiting for $8 lattes and $5 muffins but they won't get a dental cleaning if they have to pay anything for it. Whatever, I guess. It's not my mouth.
Preach it my friend. We are the ones trying to help people stay healthy but I have no reason to care about a patient's teeth more than they do. Oh wait, I'm not a dentist so nevermind...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Georgia
3,964 posts, read 1,587,746 times
Reputation: 3055
I was told I would need a "deep cleansing" procedure periodically for years to come. I was suspicious, so I went to a Peridontist, and he told me that these folks were running a scam- there was nothing wrong with my teeth or gums. I knew other people referred to the same place where I work, and they were ALL told the same thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2015, 01:56 AM
 
1 posts, read 747 times
Reputation: 10
Hi.. You made a clever decision by seeking a second opinion. I did my dental crown procedure in Sierra Dental, Calgary. I am happy with their service and did not face any discomfort after that. I have consulted nearly 3 dentists before undergoing a treatment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2015, 03:26 AM
 
8,552 posts, read 3,979,368 times
Reputation: 12065
How would you find an honest dentist anyway? I'm just disgusted with the dishonesty in the dental profession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2015, 03:40 AM
 
350 posts, read 292,262 times
Reputation: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
I am a dentist. I get patients all the time who haven't seen a dentist since forever. When I asked why they haven't been to the dentist in so long, the answer was always "I didn't have dental insurance". It's all about value. People will spend money on something if they value it. Everyday I see people in long lines waiting for $8 lattes and $5 muffins but they won't get a dental cleaning if they have to pay anything for it. Whatever, I guess. It's not my mouth.

So you are equating the people waiting in line for an $8 latte and $5 muffin with those who "haven't seen a dentist since forever."

At least the coffee shop displays their prices and you don't have to pay $100 to find out how much the latte will cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2015, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Glen Burnie, Maryland
1,474 posts, read 3,643,282 times
Reputation: 1790
I've had problem teeth my whole life. Many times I was too financially limited to spend $1000 on a root canal and when I did have money, it was too late (i.e., needed extraction). So, as a circumstance, I am missing quite a few teeth (6 to be exact) but do have caps on 3 others.

I went to a new dentist (she actually took over my old dentist's practice) and I enquired about partials or bridges where viable. She informed that most of my teeth could not be salvaged, that my crowns were ready to fall out, and even the good teeth I had were destined to rot in the next few years. She suggested removing them all, getting either a mouth full of implants (hmmm 24 teeth x $3000 = $72000) or a few implants as anchors and partials. But, she wanted to do a deep cleaning first. What!!???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2015, 07:27 AM
 
611 posts, read 518,326 times
Reputation: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo99 View Post
So you are equating the people waiting in line for an $8 latte and $5 muffin with those who "haven't seen a dentist since forever."

At least the coffee shop displays their prices and you don't have to pay $100 to find out how much the latte will cost.
Read the post again. The point is that if you place value on something (like coffee), then you will gladly pay for it. If you place no value on something (cleanings or in your case apparently dental examinations), then any price is too high.


The coffee shop can display their prices because 1) A latte is a commodity that is made the same way for everyone 2) They have only one price list. A dentist does not know what type of cleaning you need (coronal polishing, full-mouth debridement, scaling and root planing, etc.) until they do an examination (visually and radiographically). Also, a dentist who is in-network with multiple insurance companies has several different fee schedules they are contracted with. Let's say you and your friend both need the exact same type of cleaning, but you have Delta Dental and your friend has Metlife. The fee for the same type of cleaning will be different because the two insurance companies have set different fees for the same procedure.


Most dental offices will give you a range of fees for a given procedure if you call and ask, but there is no way of knowing exactly how much your treatment will be until you are examined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2015, 07:37 AM
 
611 posts, read 518,326 times
Reputation: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
I've had problem teeth my whole life. Many times I was too financially limited to spend $1000 on a root canal and when I did have money, it was too late (i.e., needed extraction). So, as a circumstance, I am missing quite a few teeth (6 to be exact) but do have caps on 3 others.

I went to a new dentist (she actually took over my old dentist's practice) and I enquired about partials or bridges where viable. She informed that most of my teeth could not be salvaged, that my crowns were ready to fall out, and even the good teeth I had were destined to rot in the next few years. She suggested removing them all, getting either a mouth full of implants (hmmm 24 teeth x $3000 = $72000) or a few implants as anchors and partials. But, she wanted to do a deep cleaning first. What!!???



You do not need an implant for each missing tooth. You can have a full-set of non-removable teeth anchored in by as few as four implants per jaw.


If you go the partial route, then a deep cleaning for the teeth you are trying to save makes sense. If you are going to have all the teeth removed, skip the deep cleaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:08 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top