U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 09:55 PM

1,365 posts, read 851,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Discussion View Post
I went to a new dentist when I moved to a new city and he told me I needed about $5000 worth of dental work done. Root Canals and Crowns. I told him I would think about it and get a second opinion. I went to a second dentist and she told me my teeth were in great shape and I did not need any of those things done the first dentist told me about. My second dentist told me my first dentist was committing fraud.

What should I do about the first dentist? Think of all the people who pay to have all this unnecessary work on their teeth and pay dearly for it.
I also had an experience where a dentist that my family trusted told me when I was in my very early 20s, and had only 1 cavity in my entire life, that he was going to need to drill in to the bottom left row of my teeth because he saw dark shadows on the X-ray, and it meant that I had cavities inside my teeth that I couldn't see.

I had no pain whatsoever, so I had no idea what he was talking about. He insisted that I make an appointment to come back so he could start drilling. He said he would need to drill and possibly do a few root canals.

I never went back. That was over 10 years ago. I haven't had any problems, and no other dentist has every told me I have cavities there.

So obviously, my dentist was either lying to get money out of me, or he was just suffering from poor eyesight at his advanced age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 10:02 PM

1,365 posts, read 851,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
You can buy those mouth guards at the drugstore---about $20 for a pack of 2 at CVS

I assume your dentist was trying to talk you into custom-made guards? The drugstore ones are the boil and form type.
I was also told something similar, once a few years ago I had jaw pain and went to a dentist who told me that it was because I was grinding my teeth in my sleep, and that I needed to spend $2,000 on a custom made mouth guard.
I told her that I didn't see any evidence by looking at the tops of my teeth that I was grinding, and she said then that I was "clenching" and that I still needed the guard.

I made a few changes in my life style to reduce stress, and also stopped chewing gum every single day, and the pain in my jaw stopped. I think the gum chewing was what was really causing the jaw pain.
I never bothered with a mouth guard, even though I knew I could buy one at the drug store, I knew I wouldn't be able to actually sleep with that huge thing in my mouth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or