Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 07:45 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
$500 is a bargain. This is a patient education problem on the part of the office staff. They did not successfully educate the patient about her health problem. "Deep cleaning" is one of the biggest misnomers in dentistry because patients think it must be similar to a "regular" cleaning when it is completely different and involves removing diseased infected tissue from under the gums and often requires local anesthesia.

The hygienist and the dentist could indeed jeopardize their licenses if they do a "regular" cleaning when there is infection present because it will not address the real problem and the disease process will continue. But patients refuse to understand this and just want a regular cleaning of the parts of the teeth they can see in the mirror. This is like asking a painter to paint your kitchen while the house is on fire.
I appreciate the information you gave me about deep cleaning. I didn't know what a deep cleaning was, and that dentist certainly didn't explain it to either of us. I think they wanted her to get one because the dentist was obviously hurting for business, not because she needed it. I went in for an exam with this dentist with the Groupon before she did and didn't care for him at all. She made an appt to see him afterward with the same Groupon deal, even though I strongly suggested she get a refund. I told her she wouldn't like him either, and she didn't listen to me. Women Don't get me wrong; I appreciate dentistry, get my teeth taken care of as often as I can afford it (not often enough unfortunately), and think most of them are honest. But not all are; thus my skepticism about this one.

Afterward she went to her subsequent dentist she had seen for many years, because she still needed her teeth cleaned, of course. He did not believe she needed a deep cleaning, so he did the regular. The only reason she went to the other dentist is because her usual dentist was quite expensive for regular dental exams and she doesn't have insurance. The first dentist didn't refund even part of her payment since they refused to do the regular cleaning which was part of the deal. They just hit her up for the extra $500. Either way they won. They didn't honor the Groupon as they should have, or they got her to pay for a much more expensive dental service she hadn't anticipated. What a sweet deal for them!

So even if she had needed the deep cleaning that her old dentist subsequently said she didn't require (she's never had any symptoms of gingivitis, since she uses an electric toothbrush, water pick, and flosses), they handled the situation very poorly IMO. Ironically, they have since called my wife and myself to remind us we are due for exams and dental cleanings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 08:31 AM

1,656 posts, read 2,781,202 times
Do you really want to go to a dentist that puts out Groupons like a mechanic does for an oil change? Again, it's amazing how people go to the lowest bidder then are surprised with the results. Everyone assumes quality for some reason. Every business that uses Groupon is trying to get you into their store so you will spend more than the Groupon. It's a loss leader. Do people think these businesses are looking for ways to just give away their services for half price for no reason?

Old 10-22-2015, 08:47 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Do you really want to go to a dentist that puts out Groupons like a mechanic does for an oil change? Again, it's amazing how people go to the lowest bidder then are surprised with the results. Everyone assumes quality for some reason. Every business that uses Groupon is trying to get you into their store so you will spend more than the Groupon. It's a loss leader. Do people think these businesses are looking for ways to just give away their services for half price for no reason?
When the choice is to see a Groupon dentist or no dentist at all, hell yes. And that was our choice at the time. Neither of us have dental insurance. It costs about $300 for exam, cleaning, and X-rays, and you're supposed to get them twice a year. Few people I know can afford that. I certainly can't. It's ridiculous how many health plans don't come with dental benefits, like health insurance companies don't view your teeth as part of your body. And regardless of us having dental insurance or not, that doesn't give the dentist the right to pull a bait-and-switch or outright lie to a patient RE the procedures she needs, does it? Besides, we read user reviews of this dentist. There weren't many, but they were good. And that's all we could do, because we really needed dental care. BTW, are you a dentist or in the dental field, toofache? Your username and posts sound like you are.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:58 AM

Yes I am a dentist. Routine preventative care is not expensive and I don't think a lack of having someone else to pay for a cleaning is a reasonable excuse, but it is a common excuse in our entitlement-minded society. Do you have grocery insurance? If not, how do you eat?? Food is much more important than dentistry. How much does your auto insurance pay for your oil changes? Does your homeowners insurance pay to change the locks when you lose your keys? Insurance should be something you hope you never need, but our society has turned it upside down in healthcare where they expect it to pay for everything. When you apply the same logic to other forms of insurance the absurdity becomes obvious. I see patients every week that complain about paying for a cleaning but then they tell me about the great vacation they just took. I recently took my first vacation in 3 years. People can afford a dental cleaning, they just choose not to.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:39 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Quote:
Yes I am a dentist. Routine preventative care is not expensive and I don't think a lack of having someone else to pay for a cleaning is a reasonable excuse, but it is a common excuse in our entitlement-minded society. Do you have grocery insurance? If not, how do you eat?? Food is much more important than dentistry. How much does your auto insurance pay for your oil changes? Does your homeowners insurance pay to change the locks when you lose your keys? Insurance should be something you hope you never need, but our society has turned it upside down in healthcare where they expect it to pay for everything. When you apply the same logic to other forms of insurance the absurdity becomes obvious. I see patients every week that complain about paying for a cleaning but then they tell me about the great vacation they just took. I recently took my first vacation in 3 years. People can afford a dental cleaning, they just choose not to.
The bolded blank statement is false because not 'everyone' can afford to have the cleaning performed. Plus, the majority of dentists/dental hygienists insist the patient get xrays at least once a year (bite wing); some push to have the panoramic view (most ins policies will not cover that expense).

Now, this may not be the case in all areas; in my area there is a local dental school that offer reduced fees; and a group of dentists will perform free dental work for many low income patients (at least once a year) in a clinic setting.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:51 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,153,876 times
Default I had a crook try to do massive work

Man yyears ago when I gradutated college and left my parent's insurance, I started post graduate work and I had I had a period of 3 years where I had not dental coverage. Prior to that I was religious about 2 cleanings per year and 1 exam with x-rays per year. I had a few cavities as a kid, but none as an adult. During this three years, I went once to a cheap clinic for a cleaning, but I could not afford x-rays. I just did my best to keep my teeth clean as I always had. When I got my job and had dental coverage, I went for a full exam immediately. I had to pick a new dentist out of their approved list. I went to see him and he did the exam, took x-rays and gave him my history and my 3 year period of only a single cleaning. He told me I had 18 cavities and needed extensive work. I made an appointment to follow up in a few weeks and get the first couple of cavities worked on, he said we could space it out over 6 months as none looked too bad to cause pain.

I told my dad and he thought that sounded bad. He called my old family dentist, who had me come in and he told my dad as long as I paid for the x-rays, he would do the exam and review them for free. As I thought, I had not a single cavity. The dentist said there was one spot where I had a thinning enamel and I had to be sure to floss, but that there was nothing there. He called the licensing board on the guy, I called the insurance company and filed a complaint. His office closed a few months later, but I have no idea if I had anything to do with it. I suspect he was just a crook trying to take advantage and it caught up with him.

Anyway, warning to all, get second opinions.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:25 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
Quote:
So you went to the lowest bidder and you're surprised with the outcome?
Uh, not the lowest bidder, one of several dentists on the insurance, & recommended by an acquaintance. My current dentist is also on my insurance, & my dentist of over 25 years, also on my insurance.

Any more stupid questions??

Old 10-25-2015, 06:05 PM

645 posts, read 750,592 times
I hate the dentist! I feel like sometimes they mess you up on purpose....

Old 10-25-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reen79 View Post
I hate the dentist! I feel like sometimes they mess you up on purpose....
Dentists hate patients! I feel like sometimes they don't take care of their expensive new crowns on purpose....

Old 10-25-2015, 08:55 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Yep I loathe dentists with a passion.
Last year I had 6 root canals.
Count em. SIX.
Followed by the same 6 teeth being extracted by a different dentist.
NEVER GET A ROOT CANAL PEOPLE! <<<weakens tooth to point of snapping
That's because when you get a root canal you also need a crown, your dentist was really negligent if they didn't tell you that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health