U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2015, 05:42 PM

968 posts, read 703,036 times

Advertisements

I go in for the first of a number of procedures in one week and am pretty anxious about it. I've only been put out once and that was for my wisdom teeth. This first was in for some major gum work they're doing. At my consultation they described the process by saying you won't be completely out and that you'll be able to take direction as you work. However, they assured me it would not be painful. They also said I might go in and out of consciousness throughout the procedure.

To clarify I'm really curious to hear from folks who have first hand experience in going through this. I've read just about everything I can on the process itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 08:18 AM

129 posts, read 250,594 times
its most likely the same as your wisdom teeth experience. its conscious sedation (or at least it should be). theyll most likely need your assistance during the surgery by opening or closing or whatever else is needed for that procedure.

but you will not remember anything, or at least you shouldnt!

Old 11-18-2015, 08:42 AM

4,241 posts, read 9,843,108 times
I have had it. I did go in and out of consciousness, but I did not experience any pain. It really was like being in a dreamlike state. My last really vivid memory was talking to the dentist about tigers. I don't know anything about tigers. I also recall opening my mouth when directed, etc. But it really is all kinda hazy.

I was able to walk and leave, but my husband had to help me steady myself. I remember getting in the car and having no idea what a seat belt was for.

Overall, it was fine.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:06 AM

6,319 posts, read 19,710,691 times
I just had oral surgery 3 weeks ago. They gave me a pill for oral sedation I took an hour before the procedure. I barely remember leaving the house when my ride got here. When I got there they put nitrous up my nose and I could hear them working in the back of my mind but not enough to remember. I remember hearing the dentist tell me to open or turn but its all very unclear. If they didn't tell you you are getting a pill, call and ask about it, but you will need someone to drive you there and back.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:03 AM

968 posts, read 703,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I just had oral surgery 3 weeks ago. They gave me a pill for oral sedation I took an hour before the procedure. I barely remember leaving the house when my ride got here. When I got there they put nitrous up my nose and I could hear them working in the back of my mind but not enough to remember. I remember hearing the dentist tell me to open or turn but its all very unclear. If they didn't tell you you are getting a pill, call and ask about it, but you will need someone to drive you there and back.
Yeah I got medication on Monday that I'm supposed to start taking the night before. Already have my ride set up.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
Yeah I got medication on Monday that I'm supposed to start taking the night before. Already have my ride set up.
You'll be fine! I had 14 teeth pulled that day. I slept good after I got home and they gave me one of those pills to take at bedtime after my surgery. Don't make any major decisions for a few days as your mind is still a bit cloudy afterwards.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:02 AM

27 posts, read 57,737 times
Default Teeth Treatment

Oh that is very tough for dentist and you also this is very long treatment that you remove your 14 teeth at once. It may curious me how you handle that much of pain.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:27 PM

Only took 90 minutes! My dentist is a friend of mine. He likes pulling teeth, so he tells me! While I was uncomfortable the first few days, I wasn't in a lot of pain. I did take my pain pills to keep the swelling down because I did swell up like a balloon! It did affect my sinus and I think it is still affecting it almost 4 weeks post surgery. It hasn't been that bad. YMMV

Old 11-28-2015, 04:40 PM

350 posts, read 292,262 times
I had darvon (sp) when I had my wisdom teeth out, didn't feel a thing, no pain, and didn't remember the teeth being pulled! Most oral surgeons are pretty good people. They know their stuff and are good at what they do.

Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health