Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 06:40 PM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times

Advertisements

I am a big believer in fluoride, but my dentist is always trying to sell me some kind of fluoride treatment, so I doubt it is very hard to come by. We have city water.
FYI, I went to the dentist every 6 months when i was a kid, and had about 6 cavities every time. When I had kids, with fluoridated water, they never had any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 07:02 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,245,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It's mass medication and there is a lot of info on arthritis and hip fractures and other stuff. The Stuff they are adding to waters comes from China in heavy duty bags. Not from the ground water in China.
No...that's those supplements you buy on eBay.

Serious question. Why, at 80, are you spending your days worried about all this stuff? I'd be kicking back thankful for all my years on Earth...

Old 11-25-2017, 08:10 PM

37,109 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
It's mass medication and there is a lot of info on arthritis and hip fractures and other stuff. The Stuff they are adding to waters comes from China in heavy duty bags. Not from the ground water in China.
The "Stuff they are adding to waters" is a chemical. It does not matter where it comes from. All that matters is the quality of the water that comes out of the tap, and the amount of fluoride is regulated. Some systems use water sources that have high fluoride levels with no fluoride added. Those systems actually remove some of the fluoride.

It is not "medication" because some is always in the water. The amount is adjusted to be enough to reduce tooth decay but not high enough to cause adverse effects, like white spots on the teeth. Adverse effects on bone happen at very high doses, beyond what can be obtained from fluoridated water.

Quote:
I never said dentists profited from this...the industries have profited, did you not read my comments on the industries where this stuff comes from, it's waste by products.
You are so hung up on the "waste by products" anti-fluoride meme. It is meaningless. Fluoride is fluoride, no matter what the source.

Why shouldn't the people who supply it get paid for it?

Do the people who supply your "supps" give them away? I didn't think so.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:30 PM

282 posts, read 232,703 times
Quote:
Reading OP's original post it's said that the dentist doesn't do that anymore. Wonder Why? Any dentists here know why.

The poster said they live with well water and I'd think well water gets it's share of naturally occurring fluoride if they live in rainy/snowy climate.

Others say they live with well water as well.

I'd like to hear from the dentists, do they have less business with more teeth fluoridated with our public waters.
Dentists who are still alive and practicing now in 2017 would not have experienced business pre-fluoride. Fluoridation in public water supplies has been a standard in the USA since the late 1950's/early 1960's. The only dentists who would -not- have experienced patients with fluoridated water, are those who live in areas that have never had it added in the first place.

Any dentist who would be -able- to compare to see if they have "less business" with more teeth fluoridated with our public waters, would have been practicing dentistry since 1961. Which is 57 years. That means they would have to be over 80 years old. Doubtful you'll find a practicing dentist who can tell you - or even remember. But I can bet dollars for donuts that they're seeing more business now, even if they do. Why? Because...

There are more PEOPLE now, than there were in the 1960's. That means more people with teeth. Which also means more people who get yearly dental checkups.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:36 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Why do dentists promote it if they are not profiting?
I don't know why dentists promote it, I'm not a dentist. There are plenty of dentists who don't...Dr. David Kennedy is a major force in NOT promoting it. I posted a video presentation by him in San Diego. This fluoride push has been going on so long and dentists are most likely taught by the ADA and dental schools.

Bottom line, some will never change their minds and I've changed mine years ago. Still wonder why OP's dentist would NOT prescribe fluoride. Probably will not know as OP has not been around.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 11-25-2017 at 09:47 PM..

Old 11-26-2017, 11:01 AM

14,938 posts, read 12,132,451 times
Quote:
Sources, please.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Sources, please.
For what joint damage or bags from China?

You can find all your answers here.

http://fluoridealert.org/content/communities_2010/

Old 11-26-2017, 12:12 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The "Stuff they are adding to waters" is a chemical. It does not matter where it comes from. All that matters is the quality of the water that comes out of the tap, and the amount of fluoride is regulated. Some systems use water sources that have high fluoride levels with no fluoride added. Those systems actually remove some of the fluoride.

It is not "medication" because some is always in the water. The amount is adjusted to be enough to reduce tooth decay but not high enough to cause adverse effects, like white spots on the teeth. Adverse effects on bone happen at very high doses, beyond what can be obtained from fluoridated water.
Some of us keep forgetting that useful realistic discussions like this depend on the AMOUNT or concentration of whatever evil substance is being vilified, not the fact that it is simply present. As some posters keep reminding us, fluoride is an element, not a human discovery or chemical industry creation. It is unique to itself and present in untreated water and soil. Unless someone gets their water analyzed (yes, including well water, spring water, or some other non-municipal water that isn't modified) you can't claim anything about the naturally occurring elements it contains. Go get a water analysis kit and find it out yourself. Its not hard.

I'm sure there are places were there is an excess of fluoride because of industrial by products/groundwater pollution. There are places where naturally occurring fluoride is high, and places where it is low. The point is, IT VARIES naturally as well as because of human meddling. You can hold the same discussion for selenium, lead, zinc, e coli, coliform bacteria, Girardia, cryptosporidium, PCBs, DDE, cadmium, all sorts of ingredients, in fact just about the entire periodic table.

Fluoride concentration is just one aspect of healthy teeth and bone. It is not the sole reason for any of it.

Believing in some massive conspiracy over fluoride makes no sense unless you can connect every single person's personal body concentration to the water's concentration where they lived. And here's the point....without empirical data on these body levels at, above, or below some biologically defensible health threshold you cannot claim anything either way.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
No...that's those supplements you buy on eBay.

Serious question. Why, at 80, are you spending your days worried about all this stuff? I'd be kicking back thankful for all my years on Earth...
What I do is really my business at 79, 80 next Aug. I've been active in what I question. MOST sit back and just take it all. I'd like to fight more, but this is the best I can or want to be involved in. Everything escalated when the pushers came into my city in 2005 and we were NEVER artifically fluoridated and that's when I learned so much about this issue. True there was naturally occurring fluoride in our water and the water dept sent us reports annually. They no longer do that since they started adding the bags of toxic stuff.

Prior to 2005, I had attended a heath expo in Long Beach and heard a lecture from a scientific person on the dangers of many chemicals, fluoride being one. That was in 1992 or so, so I had some knowledge when the pushers marched into our town in 2005.

With retirement I enjoy spreading info and opening minds. If they can be opened.

As I've said I come with a holistic mind and that holistic industry works to eliminate toxins as best they can. So so many do nothing to try to make the world better. Complain about this and that but do nothing. Thank goodness for the activists out there.

BTW: Your username denotes NYC, are you up on Peter Vallone's work on fluoridation issue for NYC?

Last edited by jaminhealth; 11-26-2017 at 12:49 PM..

Old 11-26-2017, 04:24 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,245,492 times
Quote:
What I do is really my business at 79, 80 next Aug. I've been active in what I question. MOST sit back and just take it all. I'd like to fight more, but this is the best I can or want to be involved in. Everything escalated when the pushers came into my city in 2005 and we were NEVER artifically fluoridated and that's when I learned so much about this issue. True there was naturally occurring fluoride in our water and the water dept sent us reports annually. They no longer do that since they started adding the bags of toxic stuff.

Prior to 2005, I had attended a heath expo in Long Beach and heard a lecture from a scientific person on the dangers of many chemicals, fluoride being one. That was in 1992 or so, so I had some knowledge when the pushers marched into our town in 2005.

With retirement I enjoy spreading info and opening minds. If they can be opened.

As I've said I come with a holistic mind and that holistic industry works to eliminate toxins as best they can. So so many do nothing to try to make the world better. Complain about this and that but do nothing. Thank goodness for the activists out there.

BTW
: Your username denotes NYC, are you up on Peter Vallone's work on fluoridation issue for NYC?
Ah...you're posting on an Internet forum from home. That's activism? That's making the world better?

You say "people complain about this & that and do nothing"...isn't that exactly what you do all day???

Posting "I hate fluoride, doctors, medication & hospitals!" isnt changing the world...As a matter of fact, when you go to extremes like that, most people will tune you out no matter what you have to say or how knowledgeable you are.

One health expo lecture given by a "scientific person" and the world is ending. Sounds like one of those kooky Scientology meetings.

You claim you are oh so open minded yet when someone has a view you don't like, they are wrong and a "PUSHER". A fluoride "pusher"...Lol. Do you really think that sounds sane? Do you want people to listen to you or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health