U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-16-2016, 09:12 AM
 
74 posts, read 99,129 times
Reputation: 24

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
What an ignorant statement.

People survive open heart surgery in one sitting - what's the big deal about a few root canals?

Just because you are getting a lot of work done in one sitting does not mean it will be subpar. I recently finished a case where I placed six implants with bone grafting and sinus lifting in one sitting. I blocked out the appropriate amount of time in my schedule so that we would be able to do a thorough and complete job. Also I did not schedule anyone else, so that patient would have my compete, undivided attention.

Assuming that finances are not the issue, why would you want to come back six different times, take six different times off work,get six different rounds of shots, and deal with six different instances of post-op pain when you can just take one day off, put on your big boy/girl pants (or better yet get sedated), and get it all done at once?
So you've done multiple (more than three) RCs in one appointment?

I can see the appeal of getting it all done at once, but I've met endos who disagree, too. Who's right? I guess some people are more skilled than others, and some RCs are just less complicated and time consuming. But as long as the endo/dentist leaves enough of a window open to complete the procedures, it could be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-16-2016, 10:06 AM
 
611 posts, read 518,152 times
Reputation: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by pet1984 View Post
So you've done multiple (more than three) RCs in one appointment? I am a periodontist, so I do not do root canals. However, I know several endodontists and general dentists that do 3+ root canals in one visit. As you said, it depends on the complexity of the case.

I can see the appeal of getting it all done at once, but I've met endos who disagree, too. Who's right? I guess some people are more skilled than others, and some RCs are just less complicated and time consuming. But as long as the endo/dentist leaves enough of a window open to complete the procedures, it could be fine. Absolutely.
.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2016, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Sarasota, FL
2,657 posts, read 1,687,977 times
Reputation: 5071
Get a second opinion. Even if you really need the work, there is a question whether six should be done at one sitting.
I could write a book on the number of times that health care professionals -- dentists and doctors -- have tried to rip me off with unnecessary and even dangerous procedures. Just because they have Doctorates doesn't mean they are all honest people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2016, 12:25 PM
 
74 posts, read 99,129 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
.
As a periodontist, maybe you can help me... I've asked this here before. But, I have some minor pain after having three upper teeth filled almost four weeks ago. Not like sharp pain or anything, more like an obvious awareness now in the tooth with some inconsistent sensitivity to coldness. The amalgam filling(s) squeaked when I chewed on them, and they became more sensitive as a result of that. Plus my jaw is still sore from the work doen. So my dentist filed them down a few days ago after three weeks. In your experience, if you're familiar with high fillings and the problems caused by them, how long does the inflammation take to go away on bigger cavities? My dentist isn't open on Fridays and he closed a few hours early before the official closing time yesterday. I want to say the "pain" isn't as bad now as before, and they don't squeak. Yet I still avoid eating on that side as I don't want to cause further inflammation as it's trying to heal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2016, 03:05 PM
 
350 posts, read 292,183 times
Reputation: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by pet1984 View Post
As a periodontist, maybe you can help me... I've asked this here before. But, I have some minor pain after having three upper teeth filled almost four weeks ago. Not like sharp pain or anything, more like an obvious awareness now in the tooth with some inconsistent sensitivity to coldness. The amalgam filling(s) squeaked when I chewed on them, and they became more sensitive as a result of that. Plus my jaw is still sore from the work doen. So my dentist filed them down a few days ago after three weeks. In your experience, if you're familiar with high fillings and the problems caused by them, how long does the inflammation take to go away on bigger cavities? My dentist isn't open on Fridays and he closed a few hours early before the official closing time yesterday. I want to say the "pain" isn't as bad now as before, and they don't squeak. Yet I still avoid eating on that side as I don't want to cause further inflammation as it's trying to heal.

Doubtful if he/she will reply.

Have you considered that your dentist may have overground the tooth and gone into the root?
I've had experience with a particular dentist not being proficient with the drill and over grinding
a tooth which resulted in a root canal and subsequent crown. Cascading treatments.

Imagine a DREMEL drill (similiar to a dentist's drill) rotating at 5000-32000 rpm, holding it "steady" with your hand, in a mouth that opens maybe 3 inches, with the assistant's "spit extractor" moving around in there, on a tooth that is 5-10 mm and only removing the decay. Seems to me to be easy to over grind and cause a root canal. There are dentists that will manually remove the decay to reduce the possibility of over grinding. It takes more time.
Best of Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2016, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Kanada (*v*)
121,327 posts, read 15,091,847 times
Reputation: 62900
Definitely go to a different dentist and get a second opinion.No dentist performs 6 root canals in one sitting.Not only the time you spend in the chair but the pain you might feel later.That is too much .What if a complication arrises?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2016, 04:23 PM
 
74 posts, read 99,129 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo99 View Post
Doubtful if he/she will reply.

Have you considered that your dentist may have overground the tooth and gone into the root?
I've had experience with a particular dentist not being proficient with the drill and over grinding
a tooth which resulted in a root canal and subsequent crown. Cascading treatments.

Imagine a DREMEL drill (similiar to a dentist's drill) rotating at 5000-32000 rpm, holding it "steady" with your hand, in a mouth that opens maybe 3 inches, with the assistant's "spit extractor" moving around in there, on a tooth that is 5-10 mm and only removing the decay. Seems to me to be easy to over grind and cause a root canal. There are dentists that will manually remove the decay to reduce the possibility of over grinding. It takes more time.
Best of Luck
I see. I have thought of the fact that maybe he overkilled my teeth. Can you heal from that or is it permanent damage? :/ I really don't want to see him again at this point.

Well, the "pain" has mostly subsided since then. I did have an actual root canal on Monday, but on a different tooth. That doesn't hurt.

The upper teeth with fillings don't seemto hurt now as far as I can tell. However, I haven't chewed on them in a while out of fear, and I've mostly stuck with softer foods (no more crunchy stuff) or eaten on the opposite side. Sometimes you have an ache for so long, it feels like it's still there even if it's not. Mind you, the same side of the jaw is a bit sore from the root canal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2016, 10:52 PM
 
Location: dfw
275 posts, read 415,911 times
Reputation: 303
Please get a second opinion. That seems excessive for one sitting. Also, I would search the internet for reviews on this dentist and see if anything pops up about excessive treatment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2016, 12:21 AM
 
997 posts, read 645,270 times
Reputation: 2309
I can only talk about my experience with fillings or crowns. I had a lot of work done a few years ago and I don't remember the details but I had pain for a while afterwards and he said it was normal. There were things that he did or applied, and I ended up having a fluoride treatment and the pain went away. My memory is vague about that but my teeth were sensitive for a while. Talk to your dentist about it.

As for the 6 root canals, I would definitely get a second opinion unless this is your trusted family dentist. I would rather do it all at once if it were me but I would want to make sure that diagnosis was right and that the advice was right. If it is a dentist you don't know, I would check him out. I would do some shopping around because that would be a lot of money. I don't know about your insurance, but my insurance wouldn't cover it.

I would only go to a good dentist for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2016, 11:53 AM
 
11,155 posts, read 10,048,576 times
Reputation: 17142
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
Get a second opinion. Even if you really need the work, there is a question whether six should be done at one sitting.
I could write a book on the number of times that health care professionals -- dentists and doctors -- have tried to rip me off with unnecessary and even dangerous procedures. Just because they have Doctorates doesn't mean they are all honest people.
Spot on!

This article from Reader's Digest is a true wake-up call regarding dishonest dentists. It reveals how the writer went to numerous dentists and the diagnosis and costs quoted:
http://www.dentistat.com/ReaderDigestArticle.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top