Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 12,350 times

Advertisements

I went to a (new) dentist a couple of days ago due to tootache in my upper right incisor. I knew a root canal was due but was I in for a shock! Guy takes one look at my Xray and says I need 6 root canals for all my upper incisors and canines. And very graciously he suggested that he could do them all in ONE sitting thus "saving" me the time for multiple visits and the pain of multiple injections! Gut feeling says "RUN! Get a second opinion". Is six root canals in one sitting ever done?

Right now I've started antibiotics and the pain's almost gone , I can wait a couple of weeks for the procedure. Should I take his evaluation and do all six or does something smell fishy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 03:38 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,439,623 times
I would definitely get a second opinion.

Old 11-25-2015, 03:55 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,556,072 times
Absolutely go to another Dentist.

I had a similar experience (Well, my wife did), and the dentist did two and had another scheduled, but when she went to a different dentist there was nothing wrong with the tooth she was scheduled for next.

The whole bit about "he could do them all in ONE sitting thus "saving" me the time for multiple visits and the pain of multiple injections" is eerily similar.

Old 11-25-2015, 04:03 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,850,229 times
Get a second opinion.

Old 11-25-2015, 04:03 PM

19,016 posts, read 27,579,284 times
Absolutely second opinion from someone you KNOW is not money monger. Do not repeat my mistake.
Before we came to the country, I had all of my dental work done 100% by a dentist, that treated only the top city elite. He guaranteed I am good for years to come.
About a year later here in the US, I went to one Dr Ko. Korean. He told me I have TWENTY cavities all over my teeth. As his English was no much better than mine, he only mumbled "look at x rays, look at x rays".
In my stupidity I succumbed and he practically plowed through through 60% of my teeth. 1995 I believe. Only later on I "got that feeling" that he simply went for quick buck and did a lot of unnecessary work.
So do not trust that person and seek 2nd. Talk to friends, find out who is trusted one. Not "I like him, he's so cute" but one that will not rip you off because you have insurance or pay.
Like my dentist now.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:34 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,660,357 times
I just had 2 root canals, 3 crowns, and replaced 3 fillings. I had IV sedation so I could get it done in one sitting instead of multiple ones. I was glad I did. I was under for 3.5 hours.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:44 AM

350 posts, read 415,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridharcanada View Post
I went to a (new) dentist a couple of days ago due to tootache in my upper right incisor. I knew a root canal was due but was I in for a shock! Guy takes one look at my Xray and says I need 6 root canals for all my upper incisors and canines. And very graciously he suggested that he could do them all in ONE sitting thus "saving" me the time for multiple visits and the pain of multiple injections! Gut feeling says "RUN! Get a second opinion". Is six root canals in one sitting ever done?

Right now I've started antibiotics and the pain's almost gone , I can wait a couple of weeks for the procedure. Should I take his evaluation and do all six or does something smell fishy?

Go with your gut feeling. RUN, but find another dentist to take care of your problem.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:58 AM

629 posts, read 933,116 times
I am a dentist. One of the main concerns patients have about treatment is how long it will take/how many visits because they are concerned about missing work. Whenever a patient needs a lot of treatment and it can be done in one visit, we always offer that option. You would be surprised how many people would rather get everything done in one sitting and go for that. Throw in sedation and it's a no-brainer for most people. Time is valuable for almost everyone.

Let's say you get a second opinion and that doctor also says you need 6 root canals. Fine. In that case, what would you rather do:

1) Make six different 1-hour appointments, take six different times off work/make six different childcare arrangements, sit though six different periods of getting shots in the mouth, have six different periods of post-op pain

OR

2) Only have to miss one day/shift of work, have one round of shots, have one round of post-op pain. If this visit is done under sedation, then you will be asleep and you won't even remember the visit.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:51 PM

74 posts, read 183,689 times
Can someone survive six root canals in one session? That seems like overkill, and just asking for sub par work or an invitation for opportunistic infection. I hope you found treatment with someone else...

Old 09-16-2016, 08:58 AM

629 posts, read 933,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pet1984 View Post
Can someone survive six root canals in one session? That seems like overkill, and just asking for sub par work or an invitation for opportunistic infection. I hope you found treatment with someone else...
What an ignorant statement.

People survive open heart surgery in one sitting - what's the big deal about a few root canals?

Just because you are getting a lot of work done in one sitting does not mean it will be subpar. I recently finished a case where I placed six implants with bone grafting and sinus lifting in one sitting. I blocked out the appropriate amount of time in my schedule so that we would be able to do a thorough and complete job. Also I did not schedule anyone else, so that patient would have my compete, undivided attention.

Assuming that finances are not the issue, why would you want to come back six different times, take six different times off work,get six different rounds of shots, and deal with six different instances of post-op pain when you can just take one day off, put on your big boy/girl pants (or better yet get sedated), and get it all done at once?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health