Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 06:21 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times

Advertisements

My dental hygienist used to check my BP after she'd worked me over with the steel hook and the string torture (floss). It always seemed to be rather high.

A chiropractor that I used to go to would check my BP after my adjustment, when I was fully relaxed. Blood pressure was always normal to a little low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 06:45 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Depending on your state, the state dental boards often require this. It is required in Texas. It's also liability...the numbing medicine can raise your blood pressure which is dangerous if your blood pressure is already high. You should thank your dentist. The problem with high blood pressure is that it doesn't hurt.
I think you're wrong, toofache. The last FOUR times I went to the dentist, I did not have my blood pressure checked, and I went to three different dentists since I have no insurance and have to dentist hop to afford cleanings and such as a new patient. I live in Houston.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:10 AM

1,656 posts, read 2,778,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I think you're wrong, toofache. The last FOUR times I went to the dentist, I did not have my blood pressure checked, and I went to three different dentists since I have no insurance and have to dentist hop to afford cleanings and such as a new patient. I live in Houston.
It doesn't matter what you or I think. Why don't you look it up? And it doesn't matter how many dentists you've been to.

I'll do it for you. Scroll down to page 49 on the Texas State Board rules. It's on the left column about halfway down:

http://www.tsbde.texas.gov/documents...les%26Regs.pdf

This is a good service for patients.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:04 AM

629 posts, read 932,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
As a dentist in TX I can attest that there are lots of dentists who don't check blood pressure and pulse. Usually these are the same dentists who also don't check for gum disease.

If your dentist is not checking these things, find another dentist.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:36 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
My blood pressure would be sky high at the dentist's!!!! Do they really expect to get accurate readings?
I agree about an accurate reading. Maybe if the first reading is high they could retake the reading just before the patient is ready to leave.

Last edited by katie45; 12-17-2015 at 09:54 AM..

Old 12-17-2015, 10:48 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Depending on your state, the state dental boards often require this. It is required in Texas. It's also liability...the numbing medicine can raise your blood pressure which is dangerous if your blood pressure is already high. You should thank your dentist. The problem with high blood pressure is that it doesn't hurt.
That is the reason given by my dentist when I asked about the blood pressure checks. The folks there said they just check it on patients who will be getting novocaine injections. ( or whatever it is they use as numbing medicine). It's a good idea, I think, although I think there is an allowance for the pressure to be a little high due to nervousness.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:54 AM

74 posts, read 183,596 times
They checked mine for my deep clean. I was fine so they went ahead with it.

Old 10-13-2017, 05:20 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
What is this dentist office phobia which would cause someone's blood pressure to go up? I am just as relaxed at the dentists' office as I am anywhere else.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:20 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
The hygienist in my dentist's office checks my BP but she uses a wrist thing and it's always high, last time I brought my own monitor and showed her that my BP was normal. I found an article online by Mayo clinic that the wrist BP monitors usually show higher readings.

But my dentist has never checked my BP and he's the one who would cause it to go up, not the hygienist

Old 10-13-2017, 11:53 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,432,246 times
They check my blood pressure and my husband's whenever we go in. I get nitrous, he does not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health