U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 02:52 PM

4 posts, read 9,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Yes when things don't go as you want them to, it's always someone's fault isn't it? If things were always "done right" then we would never have problems.
Considering I was like nine, was sitting as still as stone and didn't touch him...And the fact he admitted to not doing it right the first time? Yeah I would think it was someones fault. I honestly don't think it was needed to jabbed a child in the roof of their mouth twice and not wait for the numbing to set in.

but what do i know about my own mouth? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 04:30 PM

4,327 posts, read 986,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
There are dentists that specialize in anxious patients, as other posters have mentioned.

A dentist that is aware of your fear & takes the time to respect that fear & help you through it could make a big difference.

If your current dentist can't understand or help you through your fear than find a better dentist.

Before your appointment (whether with your current dentist or another one) try going in early & speaking to the dentist (before you get in the chair.) Explain your fear in detail & ask if he/she can help you through the fear.

If the dentist can't be helpful than find one who can.

BTW, do you have asthma? I ask because I had a co-worker who had asthma & would have a feeling of drowning if she drank more than a little water at a time.

Yes, I have severe asthma and it can be really hard to breathe through my nose at times when my mouth is full of water, and then I start to have panic attacks. Thank you for the great advice and I will talk to my dentist about my anxiety and if there's anything that can help.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:09 PM

2,934 posts, read 4,663,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Do not, I repeat, DO NOT, watch the movie "Marathon Man" the night before your appointment.

I have no dental phobia and have had plenty of dental work, including multiple root canals, but seeing that movie the night before a dental appointment was not a good idea.

Otherwise, just say N2O.

And don't watch Pyscho before taking a shower. <g>

Old 01-05-2016, 06:14 PM

2,934 posts, read 4,663,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInCA View Post
Yes, I have severe asthma and it can be really hard to breathe through my nose at times when my mouth is full of water, and then I start to have panic attacks. Thank you for the great advice and I will talk to my dentist about my anxiety and if there's anything that can help.

You really do need a dentist that understands your needs. There are also dentists that specialize in people with special needs & I think asthma qualifies.

Maybe call your state dental society for some referrals in your area?

I think with an understanding dentist you'll be fine getting any dental work that you may need.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:21 PM

66 posts, read 65,193 times
Quote:
Does anyone have severe anxiety about having dental work done? I always feel like I'm drowning when they spray water in my mouth, I start to panic at times and the dentist probably thinks that I'm crazy! Does this happen to anyone else?

Yes, I am bad with this. It was my biggest fear and for my 50th BD, got 4 implants! 10 yrs ago! Gotta be very confident in the dentist. Now I have cleanings 3 times a year and the hygienist says I am a basket case.. can't tolerate a different hygienist, even for cleaning. It gets worse when you don't go for awhile.. I did all this because I am vain! The Dr. now tells me he would have given me a pre-appointment sedative. Think about that.. maybe he doesn't think you're crazy, maybe he needs you to tell him!
The other part of this is that in your personal appearance, very few things (can't think of any) beat teeth!

Old 01-05-2016, 06:29 PM

3,844 posts, read 2,522,390 times
At least from what I've seen over the years, the bedside manners of the dental profession has improved quite a bit in the last few years (because there seems to be quite a bit of competition), so they seem to be focused on the patient's comfort and customer experience more than medical doctors, who can be more brusque in their people skills.

The actual procedures typically don't bother me, other than some dental assistants who use those instruments and are rough on your gums. That can be somewhat unpleasant, but not really terrifying. I do get anxious thinking something is going to need to be done that I'm not anticipating, which is going to result in an unpleasant cost to have to pay.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:33 PM

961 posts, read 586,216 times
Quote:
I am a mouth breather as well and I don't like to much water as they are drilling . Tell your dentist and his hygienist will make sure to suction the water as it is filling up . It helps and don't be afraid I have had quite a few dental implants and I was wide awake it's not so bad .

Old 01-06-2016, 07:30 AM

13,253 posts, read 38,143,135 times
Quote:
Does anyone have severe anxiety about having dental work done? I always feel like I'm drowning when they spray water in my mouth, I start to panic at times and the dentist probably thinks that I'm crazy! Does this happen to anyone else?
My dentist allows me to control the suction tube. There are two of them - one is hooked over my upper lip (that one I control) and the other they use if they have to spray while drilling. The one they use for spraying is vital, that prevents the water from going down your throat and making you choke. So they're already doing that. The one I control keeps the spit and excess water from building up, so I don't feel like I need to swallow every 20 seconds.

You might try asking your dentist if he'd please let you control that hooked tube. You can experiment with it even if there's a dam over your mouth, before he ever turns the drill on. He can spray just a tiny bit of water directed onto a side tooth - and you can practice suctioning it when it pools up behind your lower lip. The whole "practice" session takes a couple of seconds for you to "get it right" and then you're good to go. It'd occur after the lidocane shot, once or twice while they're waiting for you to numb up.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:41 AM

11,174 posts, read 10,053,285 times
Dental phobia is real and I feel for the OP.

My only fear is the list of expensive dental work they recommend while they're thumbing through a Mercedes brochure.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:46 AM
Status: "The lesser of two evils is still evil." (set 24 days ago)

16,284 posts, read 9,649,625 times
I don't understand this dental phobia at all. My younger sister has it, and because she neglects dental care so much, she has ended up having to have two root canals and some other major procedures she could have avoided by having her preventative dental care done. She has gotten a little better about it over the years, but not much. I don't get why women can be scared to death of the dentist but not think twice about getting their annual PAP smear, mammogram, or even worse, the dreaded colonoscopy Those are worse, IMO.

I actually find the dentist quite relaxing, and it doesn't matter which one I go to. Because I don't have dental insurance, I have to go to a different one for each checkup so I can get a discount as a new patient. Strangely enough, dentists don't seem to want uninsured patients to come back after the first visit, since they don't give returning patients without insurance any discount at all So I have seen about 10 different dentists in the past 15 years. Most have been good, and when the hygienist starts cleaning my teeth, I get really relaxed.

The last time the hygienist started scraping and flossing my teeth, I actually fell asleep! She became alarmed and shook me awake, asking if I was OK. I told her I was fine, just relaxed and sleeping. She couldn't believe I had fallen asleep while unsedated during a teeth cleaning. It doesn't happen too often, apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or