Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 10:48 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,779,561 times

Advertisements

Someone posted on my quick comment thing that they are scared of sedation. I don't know how to respond to it because it disappeared after I clicked on it. You have to look at the big picture and decide if you're more scared of proper treatment, or if you're more scared of an infection that make your neck all swoll up (as hey say here in Texas) requiring hospital care and an incision in your neck to drain the infection. As an oral surgeon, I cut 1-2 necks per week on people that did everything they could avoid the dentist and end up in the emergency department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 11:17 PM

4,326 posts, read 1,260,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Someone posted on my quick comment thing that they are scared of sedation. I don't know how to respond to it because it disappeared after I clicked on it. You have to look at the big picture and decide if you're more scared of proper treatment, or if you're more scared of an infection that make your neck all swoll up (as hey say here in Texas) requiring hospital care and an incision in your neck to drain the infection. As an oral surgeon, I cut 1-2 necks per week on people that did everything they could avoid the dentist and end up in the emergency department.

I don't need sedation to have dental work, I can deal with most of it. The thing that probably makes me most nervous is drowning in my own saliva and water that they spray in my mouth throughout the procedure, I get all panicked for some reason.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInCA View Post
I don't need sedation to have dental work, I can deal with most of it. The thing that probably makes me most nervous is drowning in my own saliva and water that they spray in my mouth throughout the procedure, I get all panicked for some reason.
The you would probably be an excellent candidate for sedation. When is the last time you heard of someone "drowning" at a dental office? Nobody "needs" sedation, but many will benefit from sedation. It's completely your choice.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
The you would probably be an excellent candidate for sedation. When is the last time you heard of someone "drowning" at a dental office? Nobody "needs" sedation, but many will benefit from sedation. It's completely your choice.
Thank you, that's really good advice.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:21 AM

The last time I was at the dentist, I had to stop them a few times because it did feel like I was drowning. Sorry, it's a scary feeling!

Old 01-03-2016, 01:07 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,434,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I had dental phobia dating back to my childhood in England where the normal procedure was to gas you into unconsciousness to do whatever procedure was required. Throughout my life dental problems always ended with an extraction, it was a joyous day when they finally pulled that last tooth as it was the end of my dental phobias.
Looked up dentistry for children 1940's...awful if this is what you experienced! I started going at 3,
in Ohio, 1950's, got just a shot, which seems much kinder than what this video shows!

Old 01-05-2016, 04:51 AM

4 posts, read 12,647 times
I have a massive fear of the dentist, thanks to when I was about 8-9 and had to have a root canal done. The dentist stuck the needle not once but twice into my gum, because he hadn't done it right the first time. And he pretty much jamed it in the second time. Then before the novacane kicked he started drilling. I was in so much pain. To top it off I already have bad anxiety.

I have to make an appointment to have about four (if not more) teeth on top pulled and another two on bottom. I'm scared but I can't even eat. I'm asking them to sedate me and have me asleep for the whole thing. I think I heard you can ask for a Valium to help calm you before hand as well.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkertay View Post
I have a massive fear of the dentist, thanks to when I was about 8-9 and had to have a root canal done. The dentist stuck the needle not once but twice into my gum, because he hadn't done it right the first time. And he pretty much jamed it in the second time. Then before the novacane kicked he started drilling. I was in so much pain. To top it off I already have bad anxiety.

I have to make an appointment to have about four (if not more) teeth on top pulled and another two on bottom. I'm scared but I can't even eat. I'm asking them to sedate me and have me asleep for the whole thing. I think I heard you can ask for a Valium to help calm you before hand as well.
Yes when things don't go as you want them to, it's always someone's fault isn't it? If things were always "done right" then we would never have problems.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:02 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,849,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInCA View Post
The last time I was at the dentist, I had to stop them a few times because it did feel like I was drowning. Sorry, it's a scary feeling!

There are dentists that specialize in anxious patients, as other posters have mentioned.

A dentist that is aware of your fear & takes the time to respect that fear & help you through it could make a big difference.

If your current dentist can't understand or help you through your fear than find a better dentist.

Before your appointment (whether with your current dentist or another one) try going in early & speaking to the dentist (before you get in the chair.) Explain your fear in detail & ask if he/she can help you through the fear.

If the dentist can't be helpful than find one who can.

BTW, do you have asthma? I ask because I had a co-worker who had asthma & would have a feeling of drowning if she drank more than a little water at a time.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:15 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,255,328 times
Do not, I repeat, DO NOT, watch the movie "Marathon Man" the night before your appointment.

I have no dental phobia and have had plenty of dental work, including multiple root canals, but seeing that movie the night before a dental appointment was not a good idea.

Otherwise, just say N2O.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health