U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2016, 09:12 AM

12,717 posts, read 12,338,649 times

Advertisements

My problems all started about a year or so after I finished my Invisalign. This may be a coincidence or may be related. I really have no clue and neither does my dentist. It started out at a cleaning and my teeth bled a bit more than normal. At my next cleaning they bled again and my gums are redder than they should be. So he (my dentist) put me on a 3 month cleaning schedule after he did a deep cleaning.

He did the deep cleaning and said my teeth should respond well by my next visit. Next visit 3 months later my teeth bled bad again. Sent me to a periodontist who tested me and gave me really strong antibiotics that I took but just got my teeth cleaned and I still have the problem. My dentist actually said he is baffled. He told me to have my blood checked at my Dr. to make sure I had no underlying health issues, I did and everything came back normal. My life has been stressful these past few years but can stress alone really cause my gums to do this?

I have very good oral health. I brush 3x per day and floss 2x per day. I've had numerous people at my dentists office show me how to brush and floss properly and even watch me and said my technique is great. I don't have bad breath and I have very white and straight teeth (Invisalign). It's just that my gums won't get better.

They are not getting worse but each time I go they bleed quite a bit. He is now recommending I go back to the periodontist and have some sort of surgery done where they cut open my gums to look at the structure of the bone or something? I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard of anything like this or if I should get a 2nd opinion or what you would do in my shoes? I'm in my mid 30s. Part of me wonders if it's due to the Invisalign since it started not too long after that and I never had issues before that and had much worse oral health back then. My dentist doesn't believe it is but he said he couldn't rule it out but was almost certain it wasn't.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 11:05 AM

13,253 posts, read 39,175,776 times
Might consider getting your blood checked to see if you have a clotting factor disorder. Do you bruise easily? When you do bruise, does it take a longer time than you expected for the bruise to go away? Are you taking coumadin/warfarin or any other blood thinners (including aspirin)?

Any of those things -could- contribute to bleeding gums.

Also are you using a soft-bristled toothbrush? If so, how long does it take til you need to replace it? If it's less than a couple months, you might be brushing too hard and irritating your gums.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Might consider getting your blood checked to see if you have a clotting factor disorder. Do you bruise easily? When you do bruise, does it take a longer time than you expected for the bruise to go away? Are you taking coumadin/warfarin or any other blood thinners (including aspirin)?

Any of those things -could- contribute to bleeding gums.

Also are you using a soft-bristled toothbrush? If so, how long does it take til you need to replace it? If it's less than a couple months, you might be brushing too hard and irritating your gums.
I haven't had my blood checked specifically for that but I did have a physical last summer where they did blood tests and everything came back looking good. I don't bruise easily at all. I can't even remember the last bruise I had.

I do not take any blood thinners. The only medication I take is Benadryl and Tylenol every now and then.

Thanks for the suggestion on the tooth brush, maybe I am brushing too hard. I use a sonicare with soft bristles but I'll be more careful.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:54 AM

28,796 posts, read 11,575,538 times
I'm much older than you I'm sure and over the years I've changed a lot of what I do for my health dental health included. I've been taking grape seed ex for many years and KNOW this antioxidant is excellent with our gums. Vit C too, grape seed even more powerful. I work with coconut oil for my toothpaste for a couple yrs and you can find a lot of info on CO and dental health. So many commercial toothpastes are very harsh and contain ingredients we don't need as I get it all. And yes brushing more gentle can help. Hope this helps too..

Old 02-02-2016, 12:53 AM

381 posts, read 552,828 times
I have the exact same issue with gums that easily bleed. However, I've never had a single cavity.

My big problem is the crossbite I have and it is causing gum recession and it concerns me because the orthodontist recommends major surgery and then braces. For now, it's just wait and see.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:40 AM

8,383 posts, read 4,269,400 times
You might be brushing/flossing too much. Your gums are flesh and constant abrasion can cause sores. Imagine you scratching your skin. If you did that multiple times every single day, you are going to cause that area to bleed. Same with your gums.

I brush and floss once a day and have healthy teeth so you don't need to do it three times for them to be healthy.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:05 AM

I have made a conscious effort this week to brush softer thinking maybe I was brushing too hard but I remember my dentist saying this wasn't the case because he would be able to tell by looking at my gums if I was brushing too hard. But who knows, I'm just going to try brushing and flossing lighter and only 2x per day instead of 3. My mouth does feel better than it has in awhile.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:34 PM

15,952 posts, read 33,674,074 times
In addition to brushing less and brushing softer, try rinsing with salt water at night.

Also, was your blood checked for high blood sugar? I am diabetic and my gums are always worse when my sugars go up.

Old 02-03-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
In addition to brushing less and brushing softer, try rinsing with salt water at night.

Also, was your blood checked for high blood sugar? I am diabetic and my gums are always worse when my sugars go up.
Yep, it came back normal. I'll try the salt water. Thanks!

Old 02-04-2016, 02:54 AM

27 posts, read 62,781 times
Default Bleeding gums but excellent oral health

Bleeding is may cause of some hard food you eat before. So no worry for that but it seems like once to go for dental consultant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health