Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 08:03 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
omg, your last sentence! I was thinking the same thing. I have yet to see a doctor driving around in a Honda Civic!
You're right.
Only lawyers, athletes, and other leeches deserve nice things for basically working harder than anyone else.

What you don't know could probably fill a thousand libraries.

In our doctors' parking lot:
Murano, Prius, Ridgeline, Maxima, 4Runner, Wrangler, etc.

My dentist drives an F150.

Those are names of cars, btw.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:14 AM

629 posts, read 933,827 times
The car thing is a double-edged sword.

On one hand, driving a big, flashy car can project an image of success/confidence/etc. - this is basic sales 101.

On the other hand, driving a big, flashy car can create the feeling that you are greedy or charging too much.

It's a no win situation:
Mercedes doctor - you're fees are too high because you have that shiny car payment to make
Honda Civic doctor - you must not be doing well in business so you trying to find problems in my mouth to drum up business.

Ask yourself - if you needed heart surgery, would you be more likely to trust the doctor driving the shiny Porsche or the one driving the beat up Ford Pinto?

FYI - I am a doctor and I drive a Nissan. Infer whatever you want from that - I don't care.

Last edited by bart0323; 06-16-2016 at 08:45 AM..

Old 06-16-2016, 08:30 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
Ask yourself - if you needed heart surgery, would you be more likely to trust the doctor driving the shiny Porsche or the one driving the beat up Ford Pinto?

There are so many ways to spin this that it's pointless.

Bottom line is that people will drive what they drive. I could care less. But if someone is an achiever and opts to drive a premium car, why in the world would it matter? Personally, I don't ask and I don't care what my doctor drives. I just want him/her to be good at what they do. That matters far more to me.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer prophet View Post
there are so many ways to spin this that it's pointless.

Bottom line is that people will drive what they drive. I could care less. But if someone is an achiever and opts to drive a premium car, why in the world would it matter? Personally, i don't ask and i don't care what my doctor drives. I just want him/her to be good at what they do. That matters far more to me.

+1000

Old 06-16-2016, 10:33 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposito View Post
I have periodontal disease. I have gotten treatments before and followed all the recommendations to the letter T, and tartar/gum disease always returns. The only way to keep it at bay is to get the painful and expensive cleanings every 3-6 months. How the hell does a college student afford this? It really sucks that this crap is so expensive, greedy bastards. They claim that dental health is so crucial, but they never lower their prices.

My gum disease is mostly caused by genetics, so I have no choice but to get treatments for life. I'm a good looking guy, nice hair, facial features, good height, yet I'm screwed by this crap. I would have to get in debt and spend thousands of dollars a year just to keep this disease at bay. This would keep me broke and poor for life. It really sucks. I wish I was rich. Why can't they lower their prices, so everyone can afford to have good health?

Of course not, they don't give a crap about us, they only care about the mighty dollar.
It's a shame that our politicians have forgotten that teeth (and gums, etc.) are part of the body too, and that universal health care is not complete without dental care! After all, we don't have separate insurance for kidneys, liver, heart etc. so why should we for teeth and gums? It makes zero sense.

Perhaps look to see if there is any possible way you can find a dental school that can do it for free.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
It's a shame that our politicians have forgotten that teeth (and gums, etc.) are part of the body too, and that universal health care is not complete without dental care! After all, we don't have separate insurance for kidneys, liver, heart etc. so why should we for teeth and gums? It makes zero sense. No, it makes complete sense because unlike kidneys, liver, and heart, teeth are not required to live. You can have them all removed and still lead a perfectly healthy life.

Perhaps look to see if there is any possible way you can find a dental school that can do it for free. Good luck with that. It will be cheaper but not free.

The entitlement mentality in this country is unbelievable.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:24 AM

25 posts, read 56,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
I am a periodontist. I find it amazing how the only form of gum disease that is TRULY genetic occurs in 0.1-1.0% of the population yet every person online and half my patients think they got their bad gums from their parents. No, sir, you didn't inherit bad gums from your parents. You are like the other 99% of the population who only inherited their bad oral hygiene habits.

If your periodontist does a bacteriological/serum culture on you and comes up with Aa, elevated PGE2 and IL-1beta, then I'll believe you have genetic gum disease. Otherwise stop trying to shirk responsibility for your condition. You could have saved thousands of dollars by buying a toothbrush and floss and, (here's the tricky part), actually using the damn things.

Unbelievable also how people complain about dentists being greedy yet we are constantly telling you to brush and floss. Don't you realize that if you did what we told you when we first told you to do it, then you would not need as many expensive treatments and we would make LESS money? I dare you to name another business/industry that tells their clients how to put them out of business.
I like how you make assumptions about me, sir. My father and grandfather have the same disease. I have always seen them brush their teeth. It may not be 100% genetic, but surely, I have a propensity for it, otherwise, why would it come back, even though I took real good care of teeth after my rooting and scaling treatment?

I followed every single recommendation the dentist gave me. I had to get in debt for these procedures. I even bought that damn water pick and had that antibiotic called Arestin put in my pockets, used the waterpick, brush, floss, prescription mouthwash, diligently every single day, after every single bite. I even reduced my meals to 2 times a day, yet gum disease and tartar returned after 6 months. American dentists are greedy. The treatments are too expensive when compared to other countries, no wonder, so many millions of people suffer from this disease because they cannot afford these expensive treatments. We don't live in a society where everyone has a college degree, an office job and makes 50k+ a year. The treatment are too expensive for everyone to afford them.

You don't really care about our health. You, dentists, claim that oral health is very important and linked to major problems, such as heart disease and stroke, so if it is so important, why are most people not allowed to afford it? Why not lower the cost? Of course, you can't, because that is the system, it begins with expensive education and is all because of the government. If the government hadn't put their noses in education, where they make it available to everyone and their mother without any form of credit or savings to back up the loans, education wouldn't be so expensive. Health care wouldn't be so expensive.

You just proved me right, when I said, the dentist will always blame the patient, but when good results come, they take all the credit. You can do everything right, and still develop this disease. There are many dentists with this disease, who cannot cure it on themselves.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:36 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
I like how you make assumptions about me, sir. My father and grandfather have the same disease. I have always seen them brush their teeth. It may not be 100% genetic, but surely, I have a propensity for it, otherwise, why would it come back, even though I took real good care of teeth after my rooting and scaling treatment?

I followed every single recommendation the dentist gave. I had to get in debt for these procedures. I even bought that damn water pick, used it diligently every single day, yet gum disease and tartar returned after 6 months. American dentists are greedy. The treatments are too expensive when compared to other countries, no wonder, so many millions of people suffer from this disease because they cannot afford these expensive treatments. We don't live in a society where everyone has a college degree, an office job and makes 50k+ a year. The treatment are too expensive for everyone to afford them.

You don't really care about our health. You, dentists, claim that oral health is very important and linked to major problems, such as heart disease and stroke, so if it is so important, why are most people not allowed to afford it? Why not lower the cost? Of course, you can't, because that is the system, it begins with expensive education and is all because of the government. If the government hadn't put their noses in education, where they make it available to everyone and their mother without any form of credit or savings to back up the loans, education wouldn't be so expensive. Health care wouldn't be so expensive.

You just proved me right, when I said, the dentist will always blame the patient, but when good results come, they take all the credit. You can do everything right, and still develop this disease. There are many dentists with this disease, who cannot cure it on themselves.
You're clearly unhappy with the results/treatment from your current dentist so I would encourage you to find another dentist. Perhaps a new perspective would clear up your issues about the efficacy of what you're currently doing to control your problem.

Or if you believe gum disease is, as you contend, without cure and unpreventable then stop wasting your time and money on dental visits. Just accept it as bad luck and move on.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:47 AM

25 posts, read 56,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
You're clearly unhappy with the results/treatment from your current dentist so I would encourage you to find another dentist. Perhaps a new perspective would clear up your issues about the efficacy of what you're currently doing to control your problem.

Or if you believe gum disease is, as you contend, without cure and unpreventable then stop wasting your time and money on dental visits. Just accept it as bad luck and move on.
Treatment can keep the disease at bay or at least slow it down enough so you keep your teeth for many decades. I want the treatment to be affordable for Americans of all incomes. I want dental insurance to cover more, especially when it comes to gum disease, the number one dental problem in this country and all around the world. Most plans don't cover crap for periodontal disease. The most expensive ones may cover 20-30%

Of course, it is in dentist benefit that gum disease is incurable, if it wasn't for these little freaking bacteria, they wouldn't make as much money as they do.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:49 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Treatment can keep the disease at bay or at least slow it down enough so you keep your teeth for many decades. I want the treatment to be affordable for Americans of all incomes. I want dental insurance to cover more, especially when it comes to gum disease, the number one dental problem in this country and all around. Most plans don't cover crap for periodontal disease.

It is in dentist benefit that gum disease in incurable if it wasn't for these little freaking bacteria, they wouldn't make as much money as they do.

Well, complaining on CD isn't going to make anything more affordable so I'd go with finding a new dentist who can better serve you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health