Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2016, 05:29 PM

107 posts, read 125,805 times

Advertisements

My 17 year old son is getting his wisdom teeth out Monday morning. I'm really worried about the recovery. I have heard horror stories. is it really that bad to go through?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 05:31 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
For some yes for others no and in my experience wisdom teeth are better being surgically removed under anesthesia than being cut out and pulled.
Hope all goes well, no straws, lots of ice cream, jello and ibuprofen for the inflammation, tylenol for the pain.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:36 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,684,170 times
Like anything, it's completely individual.

Mine was a breeze.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:26 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyn Trulove View Post
My 17 year old son is getting his wisdom teeth out Monday morning. I'm really worried about the recovery. I have heard horror stories. is it really that bad to go through?
I sometimes wonder if the need to extract wisdom teeth is just a way for the dentist to make some extra money ($3000)as my daughter has been advised several times by our dentist that she needs to have her wisdom teeth taken out. Her teeth are perfect and she has no issues with any of her teeth wisdoms included. For now she is holding off on having them out until there is a problem.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:40 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,083,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I sometimes wonder if the need to extract wisdom teeth is just a way for the dentist to make some extra money ($3000)as my daughter has been advised several times by our dentist that she needs to have her wisdom teeth taken out. Her teeth are perfect and she has no issues with any of her teeth wisdoms included. For now she is holding off on having them out until there is a problem.
Jambo101, I would bet you are correct in many cases, but in others, the person's jaw is really too small for those extra teeth. That was the case with me. I didn't have my wisdom teeth out until I was in my late 20s when it probably should have been done 10 years before -- they caused problems for 2 of the teeth next to them.

OP, I had 2 wisdom teeth out in one visit, and it was HORRIBLE -- took more than an hour to get 1 tooth out and IIRC another 45 minutes for the second. I had to wait until the following January to have the other 2 out (had exceeded my insurance benefits so had to wait until the next benefit year), and I was really dreading it -- but it was a breeze, maybe 5 minutes each. The first 2 teeth were obviously horribly impacted, the second 2 teeth weren't.

I hope it goes well for you son!

Old 05-02-2016, 08:02 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,783,384 times
Quote:
Not all wisdom teeth need to be removed, but most do. About 80% of the population does not have enough room for these extra teeth to erupt into a normal position. Look at the panorex with your dentist. I bet the bottom ones are tilted forward and the top ones are tilted backwards, and no straight up and down like the other teeth.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:40 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,549,801 times
Quote:
Good point. There is a move now in dentistry to not remove third molars unless there is a clinical reason to do so.

Old 05-14-2016, 03:18 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,091,907 times
I was on a cruise and something didn't feel right in back of my jaw, I bit a piece of bread and broke the top off one of my wisdom teeth, no bueno. Mind you I was 43 at the time and never had any dental work done besides cleanings. No fillings no braces, nothing. Tooth didn't bother me, so after cruise went to dentist who said I can't believe you never had these removed, referred me to oral surgeon..also never had surgery before. I was not happy but went through with it. Had 3of 4 removed. 4th one in upper left jaw way too far up to attempt, never dropped, surgeon said not going to go after it. Bottom two apparently were decayed due to a flap of gum over them and me not being able to clean correctly, or keep clean. First time I was ever under sedation, honestly it was pretty quick from what I was told, less than an hour for all 3, recovery about 3 days, make sure no sucking on straws, use syringe with warm salt water to cleanse area 3times a day there will be decent size holes where teeth were, surgeon will sew up with dissolvable sutures that will fall apart after a few days. Glad I had it done but first 2 days I bled a lot but not too bad.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:29 PM

1 posts, read 664 times
Quote:
Me either. I already have two of my wisdom teeth pulled out due to the inflammation it caused. Still holding one there since it cause none problem. I don't see the point to have it pulled if it cause nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health