Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 06:16 PM

17,455 posts, read 38,850,828 times

Advertisements

I have perio and my cleanings are not that expensive. I do have insurance, but it's just a discount plan. But the cost is reasonable. I have perio because a. I am in my 60s, b. I have many restorations (crowns) and c. I am diabetic. it is worth it to keep it at bay.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:17 PM

17,455 posts, read 38,850,828 times
duplicate post

Old 06-15-2016, 06:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,104 posts, read 80,174,082 times
You have my sympathy, the college years for me were rough with old cavities wearing out and no coverage. Dental plans can be as low as $50/ month, but the cleaning you need will only be covered every 3 years. If it's the one I'm thinking of, two hours in the chair, that's a lot of labor and overhead. My tip - when you graduate get a job with paid dental, then marry someone that has it at their work. I get to double dip, my benefit is doubled every year. When I get that cleaning for the first time in August it will be 0 out of pocket. I did, however, have to pay out over $4,000 last year for 3 implants even with double coverage.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:47 PM

7,980 posts, read 5,331,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Dental costs are out of control. I'm getting an upper plate because the same thing Expo is fighting. I had consistent if not timely cleaning for most of my life if not timely and at the age of 53 I have no choice. It's deathly expensive.

Is the Porsche Cayenne really necessary?
omg, your last sentence! I was thinking the same thing. I have yet to see a doctor driving around in a Honda Civic!

Old 06-15-2016, 06:52 PM

7,980 posts, read 5,331,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post

Unbelievable also how people complain about dentists being greedy yet we are constantly telling you to brush and floss. Don't you realize that if you did what we told you when we first told you to do it, then you would not need as many expensive treatments and we would make LESS money? I dare you to name another business/industry that tells their clients how to put them out of business.
Only brush and floss the teeth you want to keep!!!!

It always amazes me how many people do not floss.

<---Look at me! I brush and floss!

Old 06-15-2016, 06:55 PM

49,990 posts, read 63,313,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposito View Post
I have periodontal disease. I have gotten treatments before and followed all the recommendations to the letter T, and tartar/gum disease always returns. The only way to keep it at bay is to get the painful and expensive cleanings every 3-6 months. How the hell does a college student afford this? It really sucks that this crap is so expensive, greedy bastards. They claim that dental health is so crucial, but they never lower their prices.

My gum disease is mostly caused by genetics, so I have no choice but to get treatments for life. I'm a good looking guy, nice hair, facial features, good height, yet I'm screwed by this crap. I would have to get in debt and spend thousands of dollars a year just to keep this disease at bay. This would keep me broke and poor for life. It really sucks. I wish I was rich. Why can't they lower their prices, so everyone can afford to have good health?

Of course not, they don't give a crap about us, they only care about the mighty dollar.
I am sorry to hear this. I can tell you though, that many employers do provide dental insurance, so maybe your future employer will. My husband retired and got a PT job at Home Depot. It pays terrible, but they have a nice dental and eye coverage.

Perhaps you can find a dental school that has reduced rates?

Old 06-15-2016, 07:41 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,349,206 times
Quote:
I am a periodontist. I find it amazing how the only form of gum disease that is TRULY genetic occurs in 0.1-1.0% of the population yet every person online and half my patients think they got their bad gums from their parents. No, sir, you didn't inherit bad gums from your parents. You are like the other 99% of the population who only inherited their bad oral hygiene habits.

If your periodontist does a bacteriological/serum culture on you and comes up with Aa, elevated PGE2 and IL-1beta, then I'll believe you have genetic gum disease. Otherwise stop trying to shirk responsibility for your condition. You could have saved thousands of dollars by buying a toothbrush and floss and, (here's the tricky part), actually using the damn things.

Unbelievable also how people complain about dentists being greedy yet we are constantly telling you to brush and floss. Don't you realize that if you did what we told you when we first told you to do it, then you would not need as many expensive treatments and we would make LESS money? I dare you to name another business/industry that tells their clients how to put them out of business.
Respect. The condition of my mouth is due to aging and a certain amount of neglect on my part. You guys do an awesome job. Kudos to you.

But is the Porsche Cayenne really necessary?

Old 06-15-2016, 08:29 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,104 posts, read 80,174,082 times
In defense of the profession, my dentist drives an Explorer, is not open Friday's because he teaches at the University, and avert year closes for two weeks to take his staff and do volunteer dentistry in some South American country. It hurts to pay the prices (and usually for the treatment) but with the rent for the office, equipment, staff pay, lab work, and insurance it seems reasonable.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:05 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,565,121 times
I don't know this dentist from adam but thought I'd post what he says about antioxidants and gum health. I was told in the later 80's at early 50's that I had deep pockets and didn't do anything but some yrs later in 1995 started on grape seed extract and never again mention of deep pockets, my gums at right. I'll be 78 before I know it.

https://www.ravonknopf.com/gum-disea...l-supplements/

I also believe making my own coconut oil toothpaste does wonders for my dental health.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:01 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,757,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
omg, your last sentence! I was thinking the same thing. I have yet to see a doctor driving around in a Honda Civic!
You don't like nice cars? I'm trying to understand what's wrong with this. Before you ask, I drive a pickup truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health