Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 11:38 AM

5,161 posts, read 11,401,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Those are very similar to my fees which I consider slightly higher than average, although this tends to be very dependent on geographic location.

Good to know, thanks for your input. I was not sure what is considered "cheap". I know I see "cheap" implants advertised for what seem to be ridiculously low prices, but I always figure there has to be a catch with those.

forum rules, please read them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
My policy is similar to toofache's. In my office, if an implant fails to fuse with the bone (i.e. before the crown is put on it), I replace it for free.....UNLESS the patient is a smoker. Smokers pay full price for any re-dos. All patients are informed of this verbally and in writing before we start any implant procedure. Honestly, it rarely happens.

I test all my implants to make sure they are fused before sending the patient back to their general dentist for the crown. If an implant fails after the crown has been put back on, then I do not replace it for free, since I have no idea what the patient and/or general dentist have done to it.

My dentist did the whole thing, placed the implant and the crown.
Interesting, thank you! I have never smoked and I have no clue why this happened. I don't have any of the risk factors you hear about. Even my dentist was puzzled. Is there a chance that he will be able to see what went wrong AFTER he removes the implant?

Old 07-22-2016, 01:44 PM

595 posts, read 2,694,522 times
Do you grind or clench? Were you wearing a night guard?

Old 07-22-2016, 03:28 PM

I do wear a night guard every night. I don't grind, but I guess I do clench

Old 07-22-2016, 04:53 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,487,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Just wanted to update... so the verdict is the implant will come out, next week . I have to say that I am super disappointed, did not expect to be one of the small percentage for whom this did not work. I did not go the "fast" route, waited for about 9 months for the extraction site to heal, had grafting material placed, implant placed with no issues, no pain and let that heal for a year before getting the crown added. Do not smoke, do not have diabetes, I brush at least twice a day and floss daily.

At the moment I don't think I will try again, too expensive of a gamble to take... it does not help that I travel almost an hour and a half each way to get to my dentist. Ugh. Feeling really depressed about it.

Anyway... hope you have more luck if you are getting an implant!
When an implant is removed, some natural bone will come with it. It is the natural bone (and not the grafting material) that the implant adheres to. In other words, the chances of a successful implant decreases when it is replaced. Food for thought if you opt to have it replaced.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
When an implant is removed, some natural bone will come with it. It is the natural bone (and not the grafting material) that the implant adheres to. In other words, the chances of a successful implant decreases when it is replaced. Food for thought if you opt to have it replaced.
Thanks! To be honest, not sure what I will do I don't like the thought of missing that tooth. But I don't like the thought of having the second implant fail also.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:02 PM

629 posts, read 921,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Actually the research shows that implants placed in grafted bone have similar success rates to those placed in native/natural bone. Bone grafting material is just a scaffold/space maintainer anyway. It gets replaced by your own bone during the healing process.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:20 AM

17,457 posts, read 38,859,817 times
Quote:
Actually the research shows that implants placed in grafted bone have similar success rates to those placed in native/natural bone. Bone grafting material is just a scaffold/space maintainer anyway. It gets replaced by your own bone during the healing process.
That is interesting - do you mean that you grow new bone which replaces the graft material?

Old 07-23-2016, 11:43 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,758,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
That is interesting - do you mean that you grow new bone which replaces the graft material?
Depends on the graft material.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:43 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,487,799 times
Quote:
I wonder if that would be when one's own bone is harvested. I just got done with a trial and some world famous oral surgeons made the point than when using bovine grafting, it's all natural bone. that holds in the implant, The grafting material simply hides the screw threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health