Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2010, 05:08 AM
CVP CVP started this thread

581 posts, read 1,904,497 times

Advertisements

Following placement of a temporary crown on my tooth a couple of weeks ago, I developed a terrible metallic taste in my mouth. My dentist said it would go away once the new, permanent crown was in place. It has not and it's driving me crazy. Has anyone else had this problem? Online research indicates it could be from metal or glue, however, I've had crowns from this dentist before and never a problem. The dentist is also saying it could be caused by a vitamin deficiency, but it started the day I got the crown. I'm sure the crown is the culprit and am wondering if anyone else has experienced this??
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 11:22 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
I would ask your dentist what type of metal is used in your crown and go from there.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:35 AM

356 posts, read 1,268,593 times
I had a crown done by one dentist and had a horrible cloves taste in my mouth the whole time it was on. \

I had a crown done by another dentist and there was no taste.

it was the acrylic i was tasting. the 1st one was rougher than the 2nd one... perhaps if he can super polish it, it will go away?

the 1st dentist told me it would go away but it never did

Old 04-29-2014, 05:38 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
The one permanent crown that I had a taste in went away a few weeks after it was put in. Everyone has different sensitivity to taste. If the metal taste lingers on for a long time then see the dentist about getting rid of it. Hold him/her to the fire, you're paying for it, the quality and comfort.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:32 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,848,287 times
I have several crowns & never experienced what you're describing. You shouldn't have to live with that. If your dentist can't fix the issue than perhaps get a second opinion.

Last edited by daliowa; 04-29-2014 at 11:32 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 05-08-2014, 12:25 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
I have metallic taste in my mouth and aml trying to figure out where it's coming from. Went to my dentist because I still have a silver filling which is old and I wanted it taken out. He said he didn't want to get involved in that because it's too difficult and he didn't think that was causing the metallic taste. I left furious...all he had to do was put in a crown. Lazy....and I have top notch insurance. I don't understand these doctors and dentists these days. If a patient wants work done, then they should do it. Especially since there is a chance the silver filling could be the cause of my problem....

Guess I should change dentists.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:54 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I have metallic taste in my mouth and aml trying to figure out where it's coming from. Went to my dentist because I still have a silver filling which is old and I wanted it taken out. He said he didn't want to get involved in that because it's too difficult and he didn't think that was causing the metallic taste. I left furious...all he had to do was put in a crown. Lazy....and I have top notch insurance. I don't understand these doctors and dentists these days. If a patient wants work done, then they should do it. Especially since there is a chance the silver filling could be the cause of my problem....

Why would you be furious with the dentist for telling you that he doesn't feel that your recent taste experience is caused by an old filling? Didn't you ask him his opinion because you wanted his professional medical opinion?

And it's not just "all he has to do is put in a crown." If you're looking for insurance to cover the cost of a crown, the dentist has to feel that the crown is medically necessary. If he feels that there's nothing wrong with the filling, then there's no reason to replace it - with a crown, or another filling, or anything else.

You should be glad he's not recommending things that you don't need - because insurance does -not- cover unneeded procedures and you'd be stuck paying the bill.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:20 PM

2 posts, read 25,633 times
I have a temporary crown yes I think taste is from that mine just started a say ago I think it the temporary cement causing just keep eye on it brush teeth if doesn't go away call dentist and get the permanent one on if doesn't come off I have a temporary crown right now u can taste it its the cement or temporary crown doing it

Old 07-01-2016, 07:48 AM

629 posts, read 932,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post

Or maybe you should just do the work yourself since apparently you know more than the dentist and "all he had to do was put in a crown".

Old 07-01-2016, 08:42 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,035,479 times
Do you think it might be a reaction to something you are eating?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health