Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you wear dentures?
Yes 20 40.82%
No 29 59.18%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 10:16 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

I just got my new dentures today for very first time. They feel weird and I feel sick sometimes wearing them.

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 10:59 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,437,138 times
John, I don't wear dentures, but I think it is quite common to have an "adjustment period" when you get dentures. There are a couple of forums online for new denture wearers, you might want to google them and see if any of their tips can help you adjust.

forum rules, please read them

Old 03-31-2008, 04:57 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,176,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I just got my new dentures today for very first time. They feel weird and I feel sick sometimes wearing them.

John
Hi John - I got my dentures about 3 weeks ago - full uppers, partial lowers. In the beginning, I felt like I had a mouthful of something, not sure what, but it sure felt full! I've adjusted pretty well now.

Did you get the "same day dentures" that a lot of people get? I didn't. My dentist believes that it's better to go the "old route" - and I didn't have much choice where I live - the nearest "same day" places was about 2 hours away. I know some people who got the same day ones and had no problems, others have had a lot of problems with adjusting to the dentures, mostly because of the fit.

If you feel sick while wearing them, I'm wondering (if you have them on the top) if the palate part goes back to far - not far enough to trigger the gag reflex, but far enough back to *almost* trigger it, thus causing you to feel sick. You may need to have that part shaved off a bit or whatever it is they do.

In my case, I waited 7 months from the time of extraction to the first mold being done - I was a toothless wonder during that time and not at all happy about it, but I'm glad now that I went that route. With the first mold, the dentist sent it away and I went back 10 days later to see if everything in the "prototype" was correct. He had to make some adjustments to the length of the top denture (I have a very sensitive gag reflex and gagged a lot) - he trimmed the palate, tried them again and no gagging.

About 10 days later I got the "real deal." The only thing I've noticed is my speech - although most people don't think I 'talk funny" with the dentures, to me it sounds weird. My dentist told me to count from 1-10 when I first had them in while still in his office - I got to the number 6 and had a heck of a time saying it - evidently the "s, x" and combinations of sound using those letters are the most difficult for people after getting their dentures. He just told me to talk to myself a lot and it would soon become second nature, so, I talk to myself a lot and it seems to be working.

I have to give a lot of credit to my dentist - he knew what he was doing and the fit I got was excellent. I haven't need to use any adhesives to keep them in place and so far I've eaten everything except corn on the cob (too early in the year for that up here) - that will be an interesting experience, I'm sure and I may need an adhesive for that, but won't know until the time comes.

I would say give the dentures about a week or so - if you still feel sick sometimes, go back to the dentist and see if the palate needs to be shortened. The "weird feeling" - if it's the same type of weird feeling I have (feeling like you have a mouthful) will dissipate over time, at least mine has. I still feel like my mouth is "full" but it's not as bad as it was in the beginning.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-31-2008, 05:14 AM

175 posts, read 846,624 times
From experience, it is best to tough it out. The important thing is to leave them in all the time during the day. If you take them out and in it will be forever before you get used to them. If you stick with it and leave them in even when you feel like taking them out, before long they will start to feel more comfortable and you will soon feel natural with them.

I had bad natural teeth and I wouldn't go back to those days for anything. I can eat anything and only have an ocassional denture sore.

Good luck! You will win in time.

The sickness should go away but if it doesn't you will need to go back for an adjustment. The doc may need to grind some off in the back of your uppers.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:29 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,084,360 times
What you're feeling is normal, I have a partial, and I felt the same way when I first got them.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:26 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times
Hi, I got my dentures in one day and they are the upper. It fills in for 6 teeth missing. I went to a family dentist and he wanted 1700.00 for my uppers so I went to Affordable Dentures which I paid 500.00 for their best dentures. I have found the workers very rude and didn't help me at all. They just put them in and that's it.

Affordable Dentures, dental implants, tooth extraction, partial dentures by Affordable Care Inc. (http://www.affordabledentures.com/index.htm - broken link)

John

Old 03-31-2008, 10:42 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,084,360 times
Quote:
Hi, I got my dentures in one day and they are the upper. It fills in for 6 teeth missing. I went to a family dentist and he wanted 1700.00 for my uppers so I went to Affordable Dentures which I paid 500.00 for their best dentures. I have found the workers very rude and didn't help me at all. They just put them in and that's it.

Affordable Dentures, dental implants, tooth extraction, partial dentures by Affordable Care Inc. (http://www.affordabledentures.com/index.htm - broken link)

John
So you have a partial? Much easier to get used to.
Even when I had a retainer as a kid...that was annoying as well....just feels like you want to gag. Wear them....pretty soon, you won't know they're there.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:13 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,176,486 times
Quote:

John
Hi John - I would give them at least a week or two for you to get used to them. If you still feel sick, I would go back to the Affordable Dentures place and ask them to recheck the fit. Don't let them push you around, be rude and not help. Print out their Patient Satisfaction Commitment page and bring it with you if you have to and tell them you expect them to live up to that being rude and not helpful doesn't "fit" with that description at all.

My dentist told me it would take awhile for them to feel comfortable and natural and if I had any questions or problems or discomfort after a couple of weeks I should call him so he could make sure all was as it was supposed to be. At times I still feel like I have a mouthful of "something", other times I don't even notice them, so just give them some time.

However, at least IMO, if your problem with feeling sick continues, then I would go back to them just to make sure the fit really is correct.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:40 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,411,206 times
Hi John, I have both upper and lower been there since 1984, you will get use to them. I've had 4 sets every 5 years insurance will pay for a new set. I plan to get another set in June. First set took me about a week to get use to them, after that each set takes a little getting use too but after a few days all is good. You may feel as if you are going to gag but that will pass too and it's somehting new in you mouth at all times.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:15 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,011,692 times
Quote:

John
I dont wear dentures.. but know that there is an adjustment period to your dentures. My mom (she is 75) had to get used to hers. She broke them in by wearing them for 3 hours a day one week then increasing it .. to where she now wears them all the time! (except when she goes to bed, obviously)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health