Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What product would you or have you used to whiten your teeth?
IvoryWhite 1 2.50%
Crest White strips 7 17.50%
GoSmile 2 5.00%
Toothpaste with whitening 5 12.50%
Professionally done at the dentist 12 30.00%
Never had my teeth whitened. 13 32.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 07:14 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,707,518 times

Advertisements

Anyone know anything about the product IvoryWhite? I just received a free trial and seemed to work amazing last night. However the directions were very confusing and I think I used to much because I kept swallowing the stuff. For close to an hour it tasted like I was swallowing Rumplemintz or peppermint schnapps. I love peppermint...but am rethinking that after my experience. Sooo, has anyone benefited long term from this product? I've used Crest Whitestrips and they were easy and did a great job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 07:39 PM

730 posts, read 2,250,486 times
I have used crest white strips as well as a bleaching kit from a dentist's office- the crest white strips actually worked better for a fraction of the cost!

Old 02-17-2008, 08:06 PM

23,002 posts, read 34,323,501 times
I have bleaching trays I got at the dentist, they are wonderful, but I have heard good things about the Crest White Strips. Be careful you don't want your smile so white you blind your wife

Old 02-18-2008, 08:21 PM

672 posts, read 5,817,278 times
I've been thinking about getting my teeth whitened but I'm concerned about safety. Have there been long term studies done on the health risks of teeth whitening? Does it weaken the tooth enamel? Does it irritate the gum line?

Old 02-19-2008, 07:40 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,707,518 times
Actually when I used the IvoryWhite it actually made my gums feel amazingly better. I've always had problems with them and honestly that is why I'm considering keeping the product, is because not only did it do a great job on my teeth, but my gums felt better and stronger. They put something in their brochure about how it does help people with gum problems. I'd have to go back and re-read the specifics.

I have used Crest white strips and they do an excellent job too. And of course inexpensive and easy to do. If I could afford to do it professionally I would.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:29 PM

283 posts, read 1,289,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
I've been thinking about getting my teeth whitened but I'm concerned about safety. Have there been long term studies done on the health risks of teeth whitening? Does it weaken the tooth enamel? Does it irritate the gum line?
My dentist told me, back when it first started taking hold, that it was very safe for teeth. the whitening takes place through pores in the enamel without disturbing it. Actually the dentin changes color. The enamel is clear.

His best advice: "Don't bleach your teeth whiter than the whites of your eyes". He said (and I would agree) it looks very phony if you do.

Good luck

Old 02-19-2008, 02:42 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,322,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
....I have used Crest white strips and they do an excellent job too. And of course inexpensive and easy to do. If I could afford to do it professionally I would.
The dentist who did mine says these are probably the best. Also, he says that maybe every 10 years or so for "Zoom" is norm, but recommendations may change. My teeth were not sensitive, but the headache from the 48 hour caffeine restriction was horrible! I would definitely recommend it!! I keep grinning.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:04 PM

630 posts, read 1,871,498 times
Teeth whitening at the dentist makes a dramatic diifference,but is expensive and if you are sensitive,can be painful,my wife complained for a half a day that she felt like someone was drilling her teeth,I only had minor discomfort,alas,two cups of joe a day,a pack of ciggybutts every other day,and six months later ya wouldn't know we had it done!

Old 02-19-2008, 03:28 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,966,706 times
I use baking soda mixed with hydrogen peroxide. I didn't vote because it wasn't an option in your poll.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:02 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,636,828 times
Be careful w/ dentist Zoom whitening... I had it done recently and the pain and sensitivity afterwards was AMAZING. One whole day of the worst shooting pains up my teeth that painkillers couldn't even dull. This is a common side effect I was not notified of, I wish I had googled it first!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health