Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 12:41 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,944,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I don't "swish" with hydrogen peroxide, I just add a tiny amount to my waterpik. I have never heard of it "hindering healing." I find that hard to believe, over using chlorine bleach....

Hydrogen peroxide is well known to hinder healing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 04:26 PM

22,844 posts, read 18,124,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Hydrogen peroxide is well known to hinder healing.
True. Look, the concentration of either chemical is key. Hydrogen peroxide in a high enough concentration damages cell walls (retarding tissue growth; um...like in healing). Both chlorine bleach (actually sodium hypochlorite) and hydrogen peroxide can disinfect and kill microorganisms though the actual chemical reactions by which they do so differ. Too high a concentration of either one is obviously harmful, too low a concentration won't have any effect.

Go figure...municipal utilities in the US have used sodium hypochlorite to disinfect water since 1908. Campers and people living in undeveloped areas or disaster zones drink water treated with household chlorine bleach all the time. Again, the concentration of sodium hypochlorite matters. 8 drops of 6% or 6 drops of 8.25% per 1 gallon of water.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-22-2019 at 05:00 PM..

Old 03-31-2019, 06:55 PM

12,852 posts, read 7,034,016 times
Follow up I got lazy again quit the flossing and bleach over last few years. On 3/22 ended up getting a gum graft because I missed a few cleaning appointments my tarter build up my gums pulled away in the front exposed bone. The gum graft was to cover 2 teeth with 2 in the middle they take a hunk of tissue from the roof of your mouth after cutting a flap away then cut the gum away from your teeth make a pocket whats left still there then sew in the chunk from the roof of your mouth. It was the most painful recovery of any surgery ever. Talking hurt, eating, drinking water, Cold, hot, sleeping. I was up to 800MG of Ibuprofen 4 times a day the max you can take with a Vicodin at night to sleep. Still didn't take the pain away maybe for a few hours it's been 9 days now I'm doing much better. The first 6 days was completely horror if your dentist tells you to floss have gum issues do what ever you can to make it better you don't ever want a gum graft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health