U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2016, 08:40 PM

16 posts, read 24,232 times

Advertisements

hi guys,

so, my lower right molar filling fell off awhile ago...and i never got it filled or got work done. it finally started hurting 2 weeks ago. went to the dentist, they took x-rays, and she told me i need a root canal. i currently don't have dental insurance, so she put me on anti-biotic (amoxicilin) until i get dental insurance sorted. i finished my first batch of anti-biotics 2 days ago (she gave me 21 pills). i called for a refill, since the tooth started hurting day after i finished first batch.... now i am 3 days in. i finally decided to get my molar extracted, and get it over and done with. so i am going in tomorrow!

i haven't had any took work (root canals, extractions, fillings) for a very long time...(years!) so i forgot what it's like to be in that dentist chair!

i've been doing some research about local anesthesia. i read many bad experiences about epinephrine. i am so glad i read about it, because i suffered from anxiety/panic attacks before, due to heart racing fast etc. i don't think i will react positively to epi.

so i read Carbocaine 3% is good? anyone got this anesthesia? what side-effects did you experience? i read the side-effect for carbocaine are the same as epi...nausaua, shortness of breath, anxiety etc

what other anesthesia are there to get tooth extraction?

thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 10:16 PM

615 posts, read 613,145 times
Epinephrine has nothing to do with achieving initial anesthesia. All the local anesthetics used in dentistry belong to "-caine" class of drugs (lidocaine, carbocaine, etc.) and they all work in the same way - blockage of sodium ion channels in neurons. That is what causes numbing. Epinephrine constricts the blood vessels, so it is an extra ingredient added to make the anesthetic stay in the targeted area longer.
Carbocaine doesn't last nearly as long as something like lidocaine w/epi. I find that if I use carbocaine, I am constantly given multiple injections throughout the procedure, unlike lido w/epic which is usually 1 or 2 shots and we're good to go.
Epinephrine is a naturally-occurring hormone produced constantly by our adrenal glands, so you are walking around all day with epinephrine flowing throughout your body.

Or, instead of extraction, just put some grape seed extract on the broken tooth and wait for it to regrow.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:34 PM

hi bart, thanks for the reply.

the molar is actually has a hole in it, and i think it's infected. i am taking antibiotics for the pain. so it needs to be taken care of either extraction or root canal.

this is my first time getting any work done with teeth (extraction) in a very long time. since childhood. never had a root canal done. i had fillings done when i was a kid.

are you a dentist? i've been reading about local anesthesia, and to be honest, i am more worried about the anesthesia than getting my teeth pulled!

i suffer from panic attack/anxiety before...and went through being sick from severe stress and had adrenal fatigue. i read about what you said about epi coming from adrenals....so that's my concern. i am recovering from the adrenal fatigue due to stress, and i don't want to get my adrenals all worked up again.

i am getting from research that carbocaine is much better...but also reading some side effects too with that, due to the anesthesai getting into the bloodstream! what should i ask my dentist for precaution, what they do to MAKE SURE the needle doesn't inject into bloodstream? i read from another post on here that the needle needs to be aspirated for blood before letting the anesthesia in?

thanks sooo much for your insights. as you can tell, i am a bit nervous

Old 09-05-2016, 10:59 PM

3,094 posts, read 1,925,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lallala View Post
? i read from another post on here that the needle needs to be aspirated for blood before letting the anesthesia in?

thanks sooo much for your insights. as you can tell, i am a bit nervous
Yes, the person giving the anesthetic will aspirate so it doesn't get into a blood vessel.

Maybe the dentist could give you something for anxiety.

Let the professionals give you the appropriate anesthetic. It's what they do.

Last edited by oldgardener; 09-05-2016 at 11:10 PM..

Old 09-06-2016, 09:13 AM

5,273 posts, read 13,202,236 times
Just relax and the process will be over before you know it. Good luck.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:16 AM

thank you so much! i called my dentist office today, and they have the licodine with epi. i can't take chances, so i am trying to find another dentist who offers different LA.

i appreciate all the help and support during this worrisome time.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:26 AM

595 posts, read 2,472,177 times
You probably aren't going to find many Dentists willing to extract your tooth using only carbocaine plain. It's just not going to provide you with the proper anesthetic for the job. I would think you would rather be completely numb. The best way to be completely numb is for the anesthetic to have epinephrine in it. It helps keep the anesthetic in the area long enough for the work to be completed while also controlling bleeding.

You would be best served looking for a dentist that offers an antianxiety medication or nitrous to help calm your nerves. Better yet a Dentist that offers you IV sedation.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:29 PM

35,318 posts, read 45,300,059 times
I had a couple of molars extracted a few weeks ago ,the anticipation is worse than the actual procedure.the dentist asked me if i had any problems with having dental work done i told him i was terrified, so he was extra nice, stabbed me 3 times with the numbing agent then a few minutes later asked if i feel anything i said i did so he gave me 3 more injections came back a few minutes later and asked if i felt anything,i did but figured we could be here all day with these shots so i said lets do it, he does it fast less than a second to extract each tooth ,just when you are going to say ouch its over.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:21 PM

omg, i just got home. got the carbocaine. it worked well. didn't even feel the needles (i think she gave me three shots) my dentist she was so good, it took literally 5-10 seconds to pull my lower molar. happy camper. so glad the waiting is over!

thanks again for all your help. i appreciate it!

Last edited by lallala; 09-06-2016 at 03:42 PM..

Old 09-06-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I had a couple of molars extracted a few weeks ago ,the anticipation is worse than the actual procedure.the dentist asked me if i had any problems with having dental work done i told him i was terrified, so he was extra nice, stabbed me 3 times with the numbing agent then a few minutes later asked if i feel anything i said i did so he gave me 3 more injections came back a few minutes later and asked if i felt anything,i did but figured we could be here all day with these shots so i said lets do it, he does it fast less than a second to extract each tooth ,just when you are going to say ouch its over.
that's exactly how i felt. the ANTICIPATION and not knowing what to expect is the worse!!!

omg, i even reminded my dentist to aspirate. she was like, omg i've been doing this for 15 years! LOL. i was so nervous, i ended up telling my dentist what to do. i didn't mean it that way / to do it haha... i was just so nervous. she was like, where did you get that, Dr. Google? HAHAHA

Last edited by lallala; 09-06-2016 at 03:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health