Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 11:29 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,283,224 times

Advertisements

I can't take ANY over-the-counter pain medications due to internal bleeding and liver problems - no aspirin, ibuprofen, acetaminophen, etc.

So that leaves me with prescription Oxycodone only for tooth pain...

Anyway I need to get ALL my teeth pulled to get dentures and I have had trouble lately with dentists refusing to prescribe pain medicine, or giving me a hard time, or telling me it will not hurt, etc...

So would it be reasonable for me to ask ahead of time the specific type of pain medicine the dentist will prescribe for me and how many pills? (i.e. Make darn sure I get a dentist who will prescribe adequate pain medicine for me BEFORE he pulls all my teeth!)

I no longer trust dentists as too many times they have not given me enough (or any) pain medicine.

Having teeth pulled seems like a legitimate reason for prescription pain medicine? Why are they being so chintzy with pain medicine?

A happy note: Soon all my teeth will be gone and I will be done with these sadistic dentists! YEAAAAA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 03:55 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,779,561 times
If they are sadistic then why go to them?

Old 04-10-2015, 04:22 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times
It's reasonable to ask all of your questions before treatment.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:41 PM

5,707 posts, read 4,280,363 times
I was pretty furious when my dentist refused me painkillers when I had to have a cracked molar removed. You know, 3 or 4 painkillers to get me through the first day is not going to make me an addict.

But I learned how to get around it. I occasionally go on extended trips to places remote from civilization, and my PC doctor will prescribe me hydrocodone for that, just in case I get injured. I refill that prescription every few years so I always have some on hand if I need it. If I get a nasty headache, like I do once a year or so, I will take some. I took some when I had that molar pulled. I don't let doctors decide whether I need it or not.

So by NOT prescribing me the painkillers, I effectively have to take them "on the sly" without my dentist knowing about it. I fail to see how that is good medicine.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:40 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,283,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I was pretty furious when my dentist refused me painkillers when I had to have a cracked molar removed...
I was just thinking that back in the 1970's/1980's, I NEVER asked anyone for pain medicine. Doctors and dentists just automatically gave me a prescription when leaving, if needed (along with antibiotics and other stuff).

Now it is like no one will prescribe any pain medicine unless you ask. And sometimes you need to go further than just asking, to begging or "playing games" - like having some pain medicine at home, but not being able to honestly tell the dentist you have any, else they won't prescribe a thing, then you run short.

I HATE THIS! I prefer to be honest with my doctors/dentists and discuss this like adults, but I do understand there are many "druggies" who go to these professionals and wildly exaggerate how much pain they are in. Then I show up, say "it hurts", and they think I can get by with nothing. "It hurts" = so much pain I am not sleeping.

I will get this dentist thing all figured by the time I get all my teeth pulled out for dentures (soon), but then I will no longer need to go to dentists and will no longer need pain medicine for my teeth!

Old 04-12-2015, 06:06 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
If you have several teeth being extracted all at once in preparation for dentures you'll be sent home with a prescription for pain meds. How many will probably depend on a number of factors:

How healthy were your gums before the extractions.
How easy/difficult it was to extract the teeth.
How many teeth were extracted.
Whether or not you had to have bone grafting during the procedure.
Any complications that arise during the procedure.

It'll be at least a few days worth - which would mean 12 percosets, taking one, four times daily for three days. There won't be any refills on the prescription but if you need more you'd just call the dentist and tell him you need more. He'll prescribe another 2-3 days worth. Because dentists don't prescribe for long-term use, they're less likely to make a fuss about prescribing narcotics. Your local pharmacy will know it's a dentist's office and as long as you haven't been buying narcotics (especially second prescriptions from any other doctor) in the past few months prior to this, they are also not likely to make a fuss about it.

But the DEA does not allow refills on these and the only way you can get more is to ask for them.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 20,023 times
It is very hard to get prescription pain killers these days. There is a reason they call them a controlled substance. I had physicians encouraging me to take all kind of antiflammatories, i.e. Motrin. For back pain. I took lots of it for years. Finally, pain got so bad I went far away to another town & told the doctor I had kidney stones. Yep, I ended up having chronic kidney disease & those over the counter drugs were making my condition 10 times worse. Thanks doctors for nothing. And yesterday I had a molar removed & they do not give narcotic pain meds for that. Thank god I chose NOT to have a root canal. Don't blame the addicts, it is really the politicians causing these problems. The republicans are the worse. That is the TRUTH. You are not free whoever told you that is the enemy. The politicians know what's good for you. Ha

Old 06-23-2016, 08:15 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,540,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
It's reasonable to ask all of your questions before treatment.
This.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:18 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,292,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I can't take ANY over-the-counter pain medications due to internal bleeding and liver problems - no aspirin, ibuprofen, acetaminophen, etc.

So that leaves me with prescription Oxycodone only for tooth pain...

Anyway I need to get ALL my teeth pulled to get dentures and I have had trouble lately with dentists refusing to prescribe pain medicine, or giving me a hard time, or telling me it will not hurt, etc...

So would it be reasonable for me to ask ahead of time the specific type of pain medicine the dentist will prescribe for me and how many pills? (i.e. Make darn sure I get a dentist who will prescribe adequate pain medicine for me BEFORE he pulls all my teeth!)

I no longer trust dentists as too many times they have not given me enough (or any) pain medicine.

Having teeth pulled seems like a legitimate reason for prescription pain medicine? Why are they being so chintzy with pain medicine?

A happy note: So all my teeth will be gone and I will be done with these sadistic dentists! YEAAAAA!
You can ask but it raises a red flag that you are a pain medication seeker and the dentist will be very skeptical of your intent. As a provider, I would never allow a patient to dictate to me what type of pain medication and how much they need. That is my decision as a medical provider and it's my medical license on line not yours. Any time a patient specifically requests oxycodone, they will be skeptical. Also, doctors and dentists have heard all of these excuses before. Pain seekers come into the ER and lie and say they are allergic to NSAID's especially Toradol with the intent to get opioids or they will say "Tramadol doesn't work" We were not born yesterday.

Pain medication is being over prescribed today. When I was younger, I had my wisdom teeth pulled. They were deep and it was a bloody mess. The dentist gave me two vicodin and I was fine. I fail to see why you need a long course of oxycodone.

I think psychiatric disease and pain perception are intertwined. A lot of people who have chronic pain also tend to have other psychiatric disorders and I don't think it's a coincidence. People become addicted to it and as a result require more medication and their pain thresh hold becomes lower. I noticed that with myself. I once had an injury and was prescribed oxycodone. After taking it for a week, I began to notice other aches and pains that I never experienced before. I went cold turkey and stopped taking it. Now I no longer feel any of those minor joint and lower back pain. But I theorize that if I had continued to take it like so many people, I would have experienced more of those pains.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:31 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,292,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidgetsue View Post
It is very hard to get prescription pain killers these days. There is a reason they call them a controlled substance. I had physicians encouraging me to take all kind of antiflammatories, i.e. Motrin. For back pain. I took lots of it for years. Finally, pain got so bad I went far away to another town & told the doctor I had kidney stones. Yep, I ended up having chronic kidney disease & those over the counter drugs were making my condition 10 times worse. Thanks doctors for nothing. And yesterday I had a molar removed & they do not give narcotic pain meds for that. Thank god I chose NOT to have a root canal. Don't blame the addicts, it is really the politicians causing these problems. The republicans are the worse. That is the TRUTH. You are not free whoever told you that is the enemy. The politicians know what's good for you. Ha
Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is metabolized by the liver so it won't affect your kidneys. A doctor in California went to prison because one of her patients overdosed on narcotics. The DEA monitors doctor's prescribing habits and will come down on a doctor for over prescribing narcotics. And yes, there are a lot of addicts and con artists so you should blame them. They ruined it for the legitimate sufferrers. They try to scam the system. They memorize conditions and go to the ER or doctor shop. People walk into ER's complaining of kidney stones all the time and when you do a search on them, you will find they were at a different emergency room the week before complaining of the same thing and they have prescriptions at 3 different pharmacies from 3 different providers for narcotics. The nice thing is we now have advanced surveillance and monitoring tools that we lacked in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health