Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 09:35 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times

Advertisements

When my children were young and we went to a new dentist, they did some sort of fluoride treatment that ended up leaving ugly white spots on their teeth. They are adults now and are embarrassed. Is there any way to fix that? I feel terrible, I didn't want it but the dentist just did it without asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 10:16 AM

629 posts, read 932,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
When my children were young and we went to a new dentist, they did some sort of fluoride treatment that ended up leaving ugly white spots on their teeth. They are adults now and are embarrassed. Is there any way to fix that? I feel terrible, I didn't want it but the dentist just did it without asking.
A one-time professional fluoride treatment on already-erupted teeth will not cause white spots, just like smoking one cigarette will not give you lung cancer.

If your adult children are concerned about the esthetics of their teeth/smile, they should consult a dentist to discuss their treatment options.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:37 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Cocunut oil Pulling is excellent for whitening teeth (As well as killing germs,etc)

http://authoritynutrition.com/oil-pulling-coconut-oil/

Old 10-22-2016, 11:05 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
So now it's "mild" fluorosis?

You have said before that it happened after her braces were removed. Fluorosis happens due to exposure to fluoride before the permanent teeth erupt, while they are forming. It cannot happen after that.

Just having braces can cause white spots on the teeth due to the difficulty cleaning around the hardware.

White Spots on Teeth During Orthodontic Treatment

If the spots were not there before the braces went on, they are not due to fluorosis and were not caused by the fluoride treatment the dentist did. That treatment is actually one way to help the white spots associated with braces.
It's fluorosis and whether it's mild or moderate I don't look at her teeth as I don't see her much anyway. I don't like to bring it up and I don't, she's not happy with the fluorsis. Fluorosis is just that fluorosis.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Cocunut oil Pulling is excellent for whitening teeth (As well as killing germs,etc)

Making and using CO toothpaste has changed my mouth environment...not going to a dentist in about 7 yrs says something, don't you think. How many say "oh I'm so happy today, I'm going to the dentist"....it's one of the dread visits to a medical provider, along with the mammorgram provider, and colonoscopy.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:01 PM

595 posts, read 2,701,920 times
You conflate not seeing a dentist for 7 years with dental health. These two things are not logically compatible. Just because nothing hurts doesn't mean you are in a state of health. It's amazing the claims you make with literally no concrete, legitimate evidence to support them.

Just because you don't like going to the dentist or getting a mammogram or seeing your Medical Doctor for a yearly physical doesn't mean you are avoiding disease. It means being an adult and being proactive about your health. Seeing a medical and Dental health professional regularly can mean the difference between saving a tooth or losing a tooth. It can mean the difference between a diagnosis of Stage 1 cancer and Stage 4 cancer. Seeing these professionals regularly helps them diagnose easily because we have baselines to go off of.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDH35 View Post
You conflate not seeing a dentist for 7 years with dental health. These two things are not logically compatible. Just because nothing hurts doesn't mean you are in a state of health. It's amazing the claims you make with literally no concrete, legitimate evidence to support them.

Just because you don't like going to the dentist or getting a mammogram or seeing your Medical Doctor for a yearly physical doesn't mean you are avoiding disease. It means being an adult and being proactive about your health. Seeing a medical and Dental health professional regularly can mean the difference between saving a tooth or losing a tooth. It can mean the difference between a diagnosis of Stage 1 cancer and Stage 4 cancer. Seeing these professionals regularly helps them diagnose easily because we have baselines to go off of.
I've lost so many teeth over my long life and enough crowns and bridgework to prove it...Now I prefer to take care of what I have on my own and trust what I do is the right thing for ME.

Who made up the rules of going to a dentist or doctor for their tests and advice?

I'm not one of those into the modern day massive amounts of tests. Nor were my parents who lived into their 90's. Patient Heal Thyself....I like this Mantra.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:18 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It's fluorosis and whether it's mild or moderate I don't look at her teeth as I don't see her much anyway. I don't like to bring it up and I don't, she's not happy with the fluorsis. Fluorosis is just that fluorosis.
The point you are refusing to concede is that if she has fluorosis it was not due to any fluoride applied to her teeth after her braces were removed. It happened while her permanent teeth were forming, before they erupted through her gums. It does not happen after the permanent teeth have all come in.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The point you are refusing to concede is that if she has fluorosis it was not due to any fluoride applied to her teeth after her braces were removed. It happened while her permanent teeth were forming, before they erupted through her gums. It does not happen after the permanent teeth have all come in.

I'm not conceding anything, she has fluorosis and it just appeared after the braces. And visits to the dentist.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post

Coconut oil just makes too much sense...it's an anti bacterial. My mouth has never been fresher and cleaner since I started using the CO TP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health