Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 01:21 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'm not conceding anything, she has fluorosis and it just appeared after the braces. And visits to the dentist.
I know. The fact that what you think happened is physiologically impossible does not mean anything to you because it's not what you want to believe.

If the white spots were not there from the time her teeth came in they are not due to fluorosis. That is not something you either "believe in" or don't "believe in." It's a fact.

Just having braces can cause white spots on the teeth because of difficulty cleaning the teeth around the hardware, especially if the person wearing the braces is not exceptionally diligent with oral hygiene.

Not all white spots are due to fluorosis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 07:37 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,778,843 times
Suzy don't confuse her with the facts!! This is a textbook example of the old saying "Ignorance is bliss."

Old 10-22-2016, 08:06 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
I am 70, I have all my own teeth, I don't have any secret recipes to share. It's simple, I brush and floss regularly and get my teeth cleaned twice a year. I have several crowns, some of them are over 30 years old. I guess I have a good dentist because he has never suggested doing any work that was not necessary.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:51 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,778,843 times
In the old days before fluoride, dentists did what is called "quadrant dentistry." This is where the dentist would do fillings in every tooth in a quadrant (one fourth of the mouth) because of cavities. Once the benefits of "F" were known, dentists promoted fluoride and there has been an enormous decrease in cavities. Now dentists do single fillings instead of multiple.

What other profession has tried to put themselves out of business? Name just one.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:00 PM

629 posts, read 932,450 times
Why anyone would take oral health advice from someone who is missing a bunch of teeth is beyond me.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:06 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
In the old days before fluoride, dentists did what is called "quadrant dentistry." This is where the dentist would do fillings in every tooth in a quadrant (one fourth of the mouth) because of cavities. Once the benefits of "F" were known, dentists promoted fluoride and there has been an enormous decrease in cavities. Now dentists do single fillings instead of multiple.

What other profession has tried to put themselves out of business? Name just one.
That's when they started telling everyone they needed crowns.

I LOVE my dentist but I've seen a few dishonest ones. One time I went to a new, young dentist who told me I needed a mouthful of crowns. I had gotten about two done and was sitting there in his chair when he went to answer the phone. I heard him say that luckily for HIM, most of his patients were needing crowns! (Like maybe it was some place offering him a loan and he was telling them he didn't need one.) I stopped going to him after that. Later I met someone else who had gone to him and was told they needed lots of crowns. She never went back.

Like any profession, there are the good and the bad. One thing I like about my dentist is that, after having decades of xrays every six months, I've started to become concerned about the radiation. She respects my decision to not get xrays at every check up. I don't think today's xrays are as bad as what I had back in the day, but the cumulative effect of all those years worries me. Why add more unless they are necessary?

My current dentist is trustworthy--although she does try to push a certain brand of electric toothbrush--I can't afford it so I just say no.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post

You're right. Reno does not have fluoridated water, when I lived there one of my neighbors was a pediatric dentist who had previously worked in California where water is fluoridated. He said nearly every kid in Reno that he sees has dental caries and many of them have several He said that was unusual among kids in California & that if it's not the fluoride then kids in Reno must have horrible diets and no oral hygiene because there is no other explanation.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It's fluorosis and whether it's mild or moderate I don't look at her teeth as I don't see her much anyway. I don't like to bring it up and I don't, she's not happy with the fluorsis. Fluorosis is just that fluorosis.
No it's not flurosis, it is demineralization. It's very common and is usually noticed when braces are removed. One of my kids had it and the dentist actually treated it with applications of fluoride. And I'm sure it's from poor dental hygiene. My other son who always brushed his teeth without being told to never developed them.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:57 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You're right. Reno does not have fluoridated water, when I lived there one of my neighbors was a pediatric dentist who had previously worked in California where water is fluoridated. He said nearly every kid in Reno that he sees has dental caries and many of them have several He said that was unusual among kids in California & that if it's not the fluoride then kids in Reno must have horrible diets and no oral hygiene because there is no other explanation.
I don't know how I feel about flouride in the water supply and how it might affect our health but I'm glad it's available in toothpastes and I'm glad to be able to get flouride treatments. When I was a kid everyone had lots of cavities--this was before flouride was in the water. You'd go to the dentist every six months and find out that you had cavities again.

Last edited by in_newengland; 10-24-2016 at 04:08 PM..

Old 10-23-2016, 12:43 AM

997 posts, read 936,291 times
My daughter has little white spots and she could have them fixed but she doesn't think it matters. We didn't have Fluoridated water but we gave them fluoride supplements which I am glad about because I know it prevents cavities and makes the teeth strong. I had fluoridated water and I had strong teeth but weak teeth run in the family. My kids are adults and have strong, healthy teeth. My husband went on a health bender and banned the fluoride but it was too late. They already had what they needed.

Sometimes my dentist recommends things that I don't want but we discuss options. He is trustworthy and I did need a lot of work when I first started going to him and it we fixed everything before it got out of hand. Now, it is about maintenance because I don't have dental insurance. I go every 4 months because I need to keep my gums healthy and prevent expensive problems. This guy is good and he gives me a family discount and he has done things for free.

I did go to a dentist before who always wanted to replace fillings. I found it annoying but I had dental insurance.

I knew this lady who knew this lady who is a periodontist and she is shady about making up stuff that needs to be done because she wants the money. This is self admitted according to the rumour mill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health