Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 01:18 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,774,865 times

Advertisements

I'm in my late 40's and never had a filling done. I get my exams every few years and each time I am told I have cavities that need to be filled. And this goes back to my early twenties. I was told at age 22, I needed three fillings. Shown the cavities. Made an appointment, never went. Cavity must have went away because the next time I went to the dentist I was 26 and was told I needed two fillings and they were different teeth! Made an appointment, never went. when I was thirty same thing. Two years ago I was told I needed four fillings done. Never had them done, my teeth are fine, no cavities, no fillings.

Makes me wonder all these people out there with mouths full of fillings who have been duped by dentists. It's got to be in the millions. I realize people do get cavities and such, but I am approaching fifty and never had one, yet was told I always did and then when I go to a new dentist, told i had them in different teeth. Total scammers.

I hope someday there is huge class action suit that puts these crooked dentists out of business. Crooks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 03:00 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
I went to dentist for years and have a mouthful of dental work in spite of being raised in fluoridated water. I know I ate a lot of sugar and refined carbs most of my early life.

I know now at 78 I have not had a dental visit in over 5 yrs and believe a lot of this is due to using coconut oil toothpaste when I make up and the OPC's antioxidants for gum health.

I know auto mechanics will tell you everything you need to have done and this is probably the case with most of the medical world. Their bottom lines is $$$$..

Old 10-07-2016, 05:02 PM

74 posts, read 183,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
I'm in my late 40's and never had a filling done. I get my exams every few years and each time I am told I have cavities that need to be filled. And this goes back to my early twenties. I was told at age 22, I needed three fillings. Shown the cavities. Made an appointment, never went. Cavity must have went away because the next time I went to the dentist I was 26 and was told I needed two fillings and they were different teeth! Made an appointment, never went. when I was thirty same thing. Two years ago I was told I needed four fillings done. Never had them done, my teeth are fine, no cavities, no fillings.

Makes me wonder all these people out there with mouths full of fillings who have been duped by dentists. It's got to be in the millions. I realize people do get cavities and such, but I am approaching fifty and never had one, yet was told I always did and then when I go to a new dentist, told i had them in different teeth. Total scammers.

I hope someday there is huge class action suit that puts these crooked dentists out of business. Crooks!
You should've asked for copies of your x-rays to show around for a second opinion.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:22 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
That's amazing for approaching 50 and no issues. Were you raised in fluoridated water..did you never eat sugars/carbs. My ex came from Iowa and raised wiith well water and didn't have cavities until he moved to Pittsburgh, the home of fluoridation (Alcoa), did he start getting cavities. He started getting issues in his early 20's...but thru life smoked and consumed alcohol and ate pretty poorly all in all.

When you were told you had cavities do you remember if you had pain.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:41 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,780,439 times
Cavities are generally slow to progress. There is no defined time to intervene. Cavities don't hurt until it's too late. Some dentists prefer to address them before they become a painful and expensive problem. Some like to wait until it hurts so they can be a hero and get you out of pain...for more money. The choice is yours. I am a dentist and I let patients make their own choices, as it should be. I refuse to care about my patients' teeth more than they do. Push your oil and oregano.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:02 PM

506 posts, read 651,242 times
Oil OF oregano is a fantastic killer of bacteria!! High levels of cranberry capsules CURE bladder infections if you use very high milligrams. But the best bacteria and virus killer of all is Silverbiotics Silversol. I keep 3 tubes of it and would never be without it. Amazon it.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:58 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
Shown the cavities.
You were shown the cavities on your x-rays? And then they disappeared and were no longer visible on your next x-rays?

Old 10-09-2016, 05:11 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times
In 2004 I was forced to start using a new dentist when the one I had been using since 1965 or so retired. The first one was a charlatan. When a set of old fillings from 1963 collapsed he gave me an estimate of about $4000 for the replacement procedure. I went to a dentist my mother had been using. Total cost; under $200.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:00 AM

629 posts, read 933,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
In 2004 I was forced to start using a new dentist when the one I had been using since 1965 or so retired. The first one was a charlatan. When a set of old fillings from 1963 collapsed he gave me an estimate of about $4000 for the replacement procedure. I went to a dentist my mother had been using. Total cost; under $200.
Unless the rendered treatment was the exact same, the amount is meaningless. It would be like me saying one restaurant wanted to charge me $200 for dinner and the other wanted $20 without me telling you what type of food it was.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:36 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,630 times
I have wondered about my dentist for years. I have had several crowns put in by him, never had one before going to him. One time he told me I needed another crown, just 6 weeks after completing another!! I was like HUH??? He told me where it was and I thought back and have had absolutely no problem with that area of my mouth, chewing etc. I waited and waited and didn't do anything because frankly, I didn't believe him. That was over 2 years ago and I have been chewing, using that side of my mouth, sometimes eating nuts and nothing. I know what it feels like when a tooth cracks and you need a crown and nothing is going on with this tooth. This all makes me not want to go back to him but then is the next one going to be just the same??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health