Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 11:13 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,655,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
You are referring to people who are EDUCATED in medicine and dentistry, and in science. If you are not educated in the sciences, you end up floundering about, making muddled guesses to explain the world around you.

Facts can be proven true or false, which is what science is all about, and that's what the professions of medicine and dentistry are based upon--facts.

You can learn about the scientific method here, if you'd like to check it out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method
No I'm mostly referring to how they get their bread buttered, how they make their money.

I've been on this earth a long time and it took years to "get this all".

I WAS a sheepeople for a long time and questioned none of it.

I get the impression you are in the industry too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 11:22 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,620,113 times
Jam: It is mainstream "consensus reality," versus the ability to actually deconstruct "reality" and see the components that make it up.

The people promoting status quo either have little ability to think creatively, or are getting some kind of payoff kowtowing to keeping things "as is."

It's an authoritarian perspective (i.e., "I know better than you do because I *learned* (was programmed, indoctrinated) this in "school" (indoctrination camps)."

People who think this way think that someone is automatically an authority if they have "x" degree (and I have a couple of degrees, yet I know intelligence has NOTHING to do with checking off the boxes in life to get any degree). There are PLENTY of incompetent weirdos with degrees. But according to these people, we should listen to them because they went to "x" school and we didn't. We can just think, but that is frowned upon. It's all about control and status quo.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Jam: It is mainstream "consensus reality," versus the ability to actually deconstruct "reality" and see the components that make it up.

The people promoting status quo either have little ability to think creatively, or are getting some kind of payoff kowtowing to keeping things "as is."

It's an authoritarian perspective (i.e., "I know better than you do because I *learned* (was programmed, indoctrinated) this in "school" (indoctrination camps)."

People who think this way think that someone is automatically an authority if they have "x" degree (and I have a couple of degrees, yet I know intelligence has NOTHING to do with checking off the boxes in life to get any degree). There are PLENTY of incompetent weirdos with degrees. But according to these people, we should listen to them because they went to "x" school and we didn't. We can just think, but that is frowned upon. It's all about control and status quo.
Great commentary.

Yep, two people in my personal life comes to mind...both knew it all and both pushing up daisys. Both with book brains and no common sense in a lot of cases. And the money that feeds one does enter in here big time.

Old 07-06-2018, 12:02 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,620,113 times
Co-incidentally, I am off to get my teeth cleaned - no x-rays or check-up!!! The hygienist and I often discuss the politics of dentistry (the fact that in my state, dentists are fighting to keep hygienists under their control - the dentist gets a large cut of each cleaning, and hygienists are not allowed to work independently).

Also: The brainwashing of the necessity of patients being on a regular schedule, as opposed to coming in when their teeth need attention - won't even get into the health hazards associated with root canals (look it up, if interested). It's a big racquet (or is it racket?).

Old 07-06-2018, 12:05 PM

5,405 posts, read 3,438,560 times
Jaminhealth, I'm not on one side or the other here, I just have a question for you. If you suddenly get massive, unrelenting pain from a tooth in the future would you go to a dentist or treat it yourself?

Old 07-06-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Jaminhealth, I'm not on one side or the other here, I just have a question for you. If you suddenly get massive, unrelenting pain from a tooth in the future would you go to a dentist or treat it yourself?
Got a bit of a chuckle, SanyBelle, firstly I'd try to quiet it myself and if not then I'd get to a dentist.

Old 07-06-2018, 12:23 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,768,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Got a bit of a chuckle, SanyBelle, firstly I'd try to quiet it myself and if not then I'd get to a dentist.

Nevermind that dentists make much more money when patients go this route....

Old 07-06-2018, 12:45 PM

5,405 posts, read 3,438,560 times
When I moved from Central to South Florida, the new dentist asked me to have my old dentist email my latest x-rays and she did. Didn't the new dentist want extra money?

Old 07-06-2018, 12:54 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,740,205 times
Quote:
I'm not being snarky here-- pain is the physical manifestation that something isn't "right". Your ability to "quiet" pain doesn't negate there being an issue.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:04 PM

629 posts, read 927,053 times
Quote:
Great commentary.

Yep, two people in my personal life comes to mind...both knew it all and both pushing up daisys. Both with book brains and no common sense in a lot of cases. And the money that feeds one does enter in here big time.
Unless these two people died by having a dental x-ray machine fall on them, this has absolutely nothing to do with the OP's question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health