Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 07:42 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Well, it's common knowledge in a few circles that that pasty stuff you smear on your teeth every day never rinses off; just builds up, traps bacteria, rots your teeth and infects your gums. The millions of people who used toothpaste over a lifetime and suffered no damage are statistical anomalies.

Can C-D get a high volume sarcasm Smilie please? Pretty please?
Funny thing is that I met a guy a few years ago who told me the same thing, that if you brush your teeth they will fall out, I looked at his teeth and he was probably right there was nothing keeping his teeth in his mouth other than the massive amount of plaque surrounding each tooth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Every year, yes.

If you are not having any problems, and are getting yearly check-ups, I would think bite-wings every couple of years would be sufficient.

If you are having problems, then you can have the particular area x-rayed (my thinking - I have no idea if this is truly sufficient).
I think it depends on how susceptible you are to decay, I leave it up to my dentist

Old 07-02-2018, 09:39 AM

629 posts, read 933,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Every year, yes.

If you are not having any problems, and are getting yearly check-ups, I would think bite-wings every couple of years would be sufficient.

If you are having problems, then you can have the particular area x-rayed (my thinking - I have no idea if this is truly sufficient).
Bingo. That's why you and everyone else should listen to someone who has an actual degree in this stuff i.e. a DENTIST

Old 07-03-2018, 11:20 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Why does someone need a degree in dentistry to take care of their dental hygiene? Common sense and going and thinking outside the traditional box of medicine...that's where I've gone. Later in life, but finally works for me at this later date. I listened to dentists for decades and finally read and think for myself. And cleaning up foods I've eaten which I truly believe caused so much dental damage.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Why does someone need a degree in dentistry to take care of their dental hygiene? Common sense and going and thinking outside the traditional box of medicine...that's where I've gone. Later in life, but finally works for me at this later date. I listened to dentists for decades and finally read and think for myself. And cleaning up foods I've eaten which I truly believe caused so much dental damage.
I think your experience with your teeth and gums is due to luck and genetics more than anything else, and it's fine to share your experience but it's not right to keep telling people they don't need to go to the dentist However since you offer nothing other than anecdotal evidence I could readily take the opposite position and honestly state that at 71 I have all my teeth because I go to the dentist regularly, see how that works?

Sorry but cleaning up the foods you eat may not mean that you won't get tooth decay or gum disease. For years we've heard that early man didn't get tooth decay because they didn't eat sugar, but carbs apparently do the same damage and paleolithic hunter/gatherers did eat carbs, and at least some of them had rampant dental decay. (I'd be surprised if you were to tell us that your diet doesn't include carbohydrates)

Quote:
New research shows that the Pleistocene inhabitants of Grotte des Pigeons can lay claim to some of the worst teeth to be documented in human history. They are also the earliest known group with serious tooth decay, suffering high rates of cavities and abscesses millennia before humans invented farming. And because they were hunter-gatherers, the Grotte people subvert the conventional wisdom that it took the rise of agriculture – and the resulting carbo-loading -- for cavities to become widespread.

The new study is "groundbreaking," says Emory University's George Armelagos, who has studied changing rates of tooth decay. "I've been looking at paleopathology (ancient diseases) for 50 years, and I've not seen anything like this before. It's really a remarkable finding." https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ology/4307319/

Old 07-03-2018, 12:26 PM

Genetics? Both parents had horrible teeth and ate all the carbs/sugars etc that I was raised on. Mom ended up with dentures early in her life and dad -- his teeth were horrid when he died. Both ate the sugars/carbs as did all the families back then...

And my gums are in top condition due to grape seed extract. You can find info on gum health and this antioxidant, Vit C too.

I get carbs now from veggies and a bran muffin now and then as my desert with cream cheese but I eat small portions. I do get carbs in my vegetables. No breads, pastas, sugars...and when I eat any it's small portions...a burger when I'm out, I will eat a toasted bun.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Genetics? Both parents had horrible teeth and ate all the carbs/sugars etc that I was raised on. Mom ended up with dentures early in her life and dad -- his teeth were horrid when he died. Both ate the sugars/carbs as did all the families back then...
And my gums are in top condition due to grape seed extract. You can find info on gum health and this antioxidant, Vit C too.
I get carbs now from veggies and a bran muffin now and then as my desert with cream cheese but I eat small portions. I do get carbs in my vegetables. No breads, pastas, sugars...and when I eat any it's small portions...a burger when I'm out, I will eat a toasted bun.
Then you are lucky, but you shouldn't push these ideas on other people, they are unscientific, unproven and could well cause people to lose their teeth because of your advice. I hear that apple cider vinegar and grape seed extract lowers blood pressure, do you think it would be wise to tell people not to bother with doctors just dose up on 'natural remedies' and they don't need to worry about their blood pressure?

Old 07-03-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Then you are lucky, but you shouldn't push these ideas on other people, they are unscientific, unproven and could well cause people to lose their teeth because of your advice. I hear that apple cider vinegar and grape seed extract lowers blood pressure, do you think it would be wise to tell people not to bother with doctors just dose up on 'natural remedies' and they don't need to worry about their blood pressure?
I'm not pushing, people do what they want to do. Don't read my info if it's offensive. And yes, grape seed ex is known to help with hypertension and I take BP meds in spite of this antioxidant. Perhaps I don't need the drugs, but once on BP meds they've got one for life as I've heard for years.

I'm not into science like so many here keep talking about the science, the science. My body is my science and what I do with it. I know where I've been and where I am today.

I don't have to read a lot of science about the grape, although I have in recent years, long after I've been taking this great grape supplement.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:30 PM

14,947 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
My cardiologist ALWAYS wants to check my blood pressure. I refuse because it’s obviously such a scam. I bet he’s making millions off checking blood pressure.
It's about that silly, isn't it?

But you must know you can eat a small glob of coconut oil every morning before breakfast, (or maybe rub it on your arm?) and have faith that this will keep your blood pressure down and you don't have to let anyone check it.

In fact, maybe you can skip the cardiology visits this way, be your own cardiologist!

Old 07-03-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
Just thought I would update this thread with some new (to me) info.

I had my 6 month cleaning and checkup today. The hygienist asked about doing the yearly x-rays and I reminded her that I wanted x-rays every 3 years, not every year.

When the dentist did my checkup, she said the biggest contributants to cavities were sugar (especially sodas and energy/sports drinks) and medications. She said 40% of all medications can have a side effect of dry mouth, which causes cavity formation to increase dramatically. She said that most doctors do not tell their patients about that. The most common meds to cause dry mouth are SSRIs but there are many others as well. The info on the meds/dry mouth/cavity connection was news to me.

Since I eat very little sugar, do not drink sodas or sports/energy drinks, and take no meds of any kind, she was fine with x-rays every 3 years. However, if my medical history changes and I start taking a medication, or of course if she sees something suspicious in my mouth, then she would want to re-evaluate. That is a very reasonable standard of care to me.

So since many people are on various meds, that may be in part why many dentists want the yearly x-rays. But for those patients who don't eat or drink a ton of sugar and who are not on meds that cause dry mouth, a 2 or 3 year x-ray schedule might work out fine.
Interesting on the medications and cavity formation. Talking to a neighbor yesterday and she's now on medications in the last couple yrs due to an autoimmunine disease, her teeth have gotten so bad. I feel sorry for her as this "stuff" hit her so hard and now this very strong person is very frail and she's never taken meds before this this A.D. hit her. Sadly, she is financially strapped and can't afford the supplements that could help her. If I had an extra $1K I'd give it to her to help on the supps that could benefit her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health