Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 05:33 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times

Advertisements

You're taking it out of context. Read what it SAID - not what you want it to mean. But go ahead and spend money on cockamamie unproven fraudulent nonsense supported by people who want to suck the life out of your wallet. As long as it makes you happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 02:57 AM

1 posts, read 5,055 times
I have a tooth that requires extraction; both adjoining teeth have RTC and need capping anyway. Still Dentist has recommended an Implant by telling me that gradually bone will deteriorate if you choose to go for a bridge as implant will not leave that scope. Implant is 3 times costly and process is scary. I think situation is right for a Bridge - Please suggest/recommend.
Thanks,
Vinit

Old 12-01-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinitC View Post
I have a tooth that requires extraction; both adjoining teeth have RTC and need capping anyway. Still Dentist has recommended an Implant by telling me that gradually bone will deteriorate if you choose to go for a bridge as implant will not leave that scope. Implant is 3 times costly and process is scary. I think situation is right for a Bridge - Please suggest/recommend.
Thanks,
Vinit
It is -generally- a bad idea to use root canal teeth as anchors for a bridge. Once you have a root canal shaped for a crown, there is very little of the tooth left. Basically all you have is a post that sits where the root used to be, and the inner surface of what used to be the tooth. Although once it's crowned, it can serve as well as a healthy tooth could, it still isn't going to be as sturdy as a tooth that has a healthy natural root.

I'd get the crowns, and get the implant. But shop around for the implant. Don't look for "cheap" - look for "reasonably priced quality." A typical molar implant could cost anywhere between $2000 and $5000 depending on where in the country you're getting it done (don't even consider Beverly Hills, where you might pay $12,000 but that includes pedicure, mini-botox injection, and a appletini). And obviously don't consider Joe's EZ-Crunch Dental Clinic, where a solid gold-plated gen-you-wine plastic implant is only $1999.99 with every Zoom Whitening treatment.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:06 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
AnonChick, you seem to be very knowledgeable. My dad got a tooth extracted 3 months ago and is looking at the implant route. He lives in another state during the winter and comes up to NJ during the summer. Do you know how long he can wait before getting an implant? How quickly does the bone deteriorate?

Thanks!

Old 12-07-2011, 05:21 PM

The process of getting an implant takes around 9 months to a year. The first part of the process is the tooth extraction. Bone doesn't deteriorate from that moment, any time soon...but bone grafting is typically done when there isn't enough bone in the first place, to implant, the implant. Think of it as a screw - since that's what it is. It's screwed into the bone, with the head of the screw sticking up just a tiny bit. And then a fake tooth is made especially to fit over that screw head.

So basically, you get extraction and bone grafting IF bone grafting is indicated. An impression is made of the mouth prior to extraction, so the dental lab knows what they'll be making to replace the extracted tooth.

Then it all has to heal - several months if there's grafting. A few months if there isn't.

Then the implant is implanted.. And that takes a few months to take.

Then the fake tooth custom designed by the lab to fit your mouth, and that specific space, is then affixed to the implant. The final part is just a the fitting, and is generally painless and doesn't require anasthetic or even pain relievers after it.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,965 times
Can anyone suggest that for a diabetic person is bridging teeth better?

Old 12-29-2011, 12:42 AM

7,636 posts, read 8,702,692 times
What if after the extraction you don't get implant, just leave the hole? I know dentists will say that the neighboring teeth would grow toward the hole, that the opposite tooth needs something to bite against. But I know some people who had lost a tooth (granted they were not molars) and never did anything about it. The neighboring tooth grew slowly toward the hole so the hole is only a gap now. They have no problems. Some already many years.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:20 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
again please answer about a 65 year old diabetic getting implants. scars me since I have such a hard time healing from foot problems and think the same would be true for tooth problems

Old 01-17-2012, 11:41 AM

7,636 posts, read 8,702,692 times
If you have an implant, will you need to have an X-ray check-up regularly, say every 6 months or at whatever intervals?

Old 02-21-2012, 01:12 AM

1 posts, read 4,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
AnonChick,
.....The web site you linked to says this dentist falsely said Mercury fillings were toxic. Norway, Sweden and Denmark have all banned them. Do I believe that web site or do I go with the advice of the professionals I know and trust along with Norway, Sweden and Denmark.

Regards,
I registered only to let you know that the No. European countries banned mercury fillings because of "the risk that mercury from products may constitute in the environment."

Here's a link:
[url=http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/01/03/idUS108558+03-Jan-2008+PRN20080103]Dental Mercury Use Banned in Norway, Sweden and Denmark Because Composites Are Adequate... | Reuters[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health