Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2017, 07:19 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
if you were getting advice on getting a hip replacement, I would think it would be your business how many that orthopedic doctor has performed.

Getting advice for your hip from an orthopedic doctor who rarely does hip replacements would be dumb.
Heeding his advice would really be dumb !
What I meant is that it's none of your business how many extractions dentists in this thread perform, and if they choose not to give you specific numbers or not to submit to your cross-examination you call them evasive. You have no teeth yet you see yourself as a dental advisor to others.

How silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 07:34 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,492,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
Dr. bart0323's answer: In the past, if a new soldier was determined to have a lot of existing dental problems with a likelihood of developing future dental problems in the field, common military practice was to go ahead and remove all the teeth. The rationale was that they didn't want you to not be able to do your job i.e. kill the enemy if you were worried about/suffering from tooth pain.

There are also very rare (0.1-1% of the population) forms of gum disease that start in childhood. Most of those patients lose all their teeth in their 20s-30s.

David A. Stone's answer: You are crazy! My teeth were garbage and I needed dentures, so you do too - you just don't know it. You are also crazy for wasting your money on such nonsense like crowns and implants when you could have just got cheap top of the line dentures which are better than your own teeth! I don't know you or the dentist, but I know for a fact the dentist ripped you off and took an expensive vacation on your dime, sucker! Next time PM me personally so you can take oral healthcare advice from someone who doesn't even have teeth!

/sarcasm

I'm so glad my dentist ripped me off because I don't want to have to wear dentures. Nothing against those that do, I am just trying to prevent them in my case.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:14 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I would vote for implants. You are young, if you take care of the implants and bridges, they will last you a long time. I have a bridge and 2 implants, I am so glad i went that route instead of dentures since it's my bottom teeth. I've heard bottom dentures are hard to get use to and eat with, but I've never experienced them. Good luck with whatever you decide!

BTW, placing the implants was not painful, but I always ask for lots of Novocaine (I know it's not really Novocaine, but I'm not sure what the proper name is for the numbing agent dentists use).

I just had an implant done, and the procedure wasn't at all painful. I went to an oral surgeon, who removed the broken tooth, and then did the implant. Both times he used some sort of IV pain medicine, along with topical numbing. I honestly didn't feel a thing! He gave me 30 Vicodin, I only used 2-3, and that was just to play it safe!

Don't be afraid of dental procedures because of pain. Modern dentistry can all but eliminate pain during procedures. The small amount of pain you might feel during procedures is nothing compared to the true pain you will feel with infected, rotted out teeth

I opted for an implant because I felt it was the best long-term solution, and would best support my other teeth throughout the years. Also, another thought to consider----I have severe arthritis in my fingers. I couldn't be constantly fiddling with my teeth, with fingers that can barely fasten a button. Its something to consider if you have bad hands now, or might in the future.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:46 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times
i completely lost track of this thread. thanks for all the info. I think I would go for the implant with grafting. there is a sinus graft involved as well. I will be needing 3 implants on one side for upper molar family, 3 implants on the other side , but lower molars. and 2 bridges as well ( could get 2 more implants ).

I have seen the click on denture deal, but my front teeth are strong and are in good shape. I am already starting to see gray hair, and don't want to face bone loss in 10 years. Dentures seem like the easy way out , but i dont know how I can deal with the daily maintenance of dentures.

going for implants, made up my mind!

thanks...

Old 05-14-2017, 07:30 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
i completely lost track of this thread. thanks for all the info. I think I would go for the implant with grafting. there is a sinus graft involved as well. I will be needing 3 implants on one side for upper molar family, 3 implants on the other side , but lower molars. and 2 bridges as well ( could get 2 more implants ).

I have seen the click on denture deal, but my front teeth are strong and are in good shape. I am already starting to see gray hair, and don't want to face bone loss in 10 years. Dentures seem like the easy way out , but i dont know how I can deal with the daily maintenance of dentures.

thanks...
good for you! Let us know how it goes

Old 05-14-2017, 09:07 AM

178 posts, read 173,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post

thanks...
Implants arent bad. I have many.They are not an over night thing either. Prepare to be eating soup for months or even up to a year. Some people can get multiple implants in one sitting but most dentists dont like to do it. Its not a money thing it is a infection thing. Your molars will need to be pulled. Then bone grafts, then wait for 2-3 months for all to heal, then installing the implant, (Big drill then they use a torque wrench) then wait again for 2 months or so to heal. Then taking impressions, Then making the crowns, then fitting them which is a back and forth thing especially if they are doing a lot.
They are also not a end all. Ive had to have 2 pulled over the years and re done for various reasons. Ive heard of people who get infections. Infections in your mouth are a bad thing. Go straight to your brain or heart.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:09 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joewy View Post
Implants arent bad. I have many.They are not an over night thing either. Prepare to be eating soup for months or even up to a year. Some people can get multiple implants in one sitting but most dentists dont like to do it. Its not a money thing it is a infection thing. Your molars will need to be pulled. Then bone grafts, then wait for 2-3 months for all to heal, then installing the implant, (Big drill then they use a torque wrench) then wait again for 2 months or so to heal. Then taking impressions, Then making the crowns, then fitting them which is a back and forth thing especially if they are doing a lot.
They are also not a end all. Ive had to have 2 pulled over the years and re done for various reasons. Ive heard of people who get infections. Infections in your mouth are a bad thing. Go straight to your brain or heart.
wow...I have a number of friends who have had numerous implants and I don't know of any who could only eat soup for a year, that's really odd.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:34 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times
I have heard horror stories on both ends. The long wait and healing process is a good thing on the pockets, and onsurance only covers 50 o/o of each procedure. I can do 2 procedures a year, and be complete in 4 years.

I have seen the crazyness going on a dental vacation, and doing all this work in a week. Count me out!

Old 05-14-2017, 09:42 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
My best suggestion for the OP would be to consult with a GOOD prosthodontist. They specialize in dental repair whether it be via implants or dentures. Let them suggest the best route for you.

I have had dental problems my whole life due to a congenital birth defect. For decades I had bridges and crowns, but eventually (at 61) everything fell apart. Now I have an "all on five" implant on the bottom which is where they put in five implants and then secure an entire set of bottom teeth. I didn't need any bone grafts. The bone on my upper jaw was almost non-existent, so I couldn't have implants. So on the top I have a full denture. I did my research and found the very best people, my implantologist is world reknown. It's been 4 years and I eat whatever I want other than caramels and such which I don't miss. I've never had a single issue with either the implants or the denture and actually never think about them. I have a beautiful smile which will last a lifetime and best of all, no more pain....ever.

The secret is to find the very best prosthodontist and implantologist you can. It makes all the difference. My total cost was around 40 grand and worth every penny.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:21 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
My best suggestion for the OP would be to consult with a GOOD prosthodontist. They specialize in dental repair whether it be via implants or dentures. Let them suggest the best route for you.

I have had dental problems my whole life due to a congenital birth defect. For decades I had bridges and crowns, but eventually (at 61) everything fell apart. Now I have an "all on five" implant on the bottom which is where they put in five implants and then secure an entire set of bottom teeth. I didn't need any bone grafts. The bone on my upper jaw was almost non-existent, so I couldn't have implants. So on the top I have a full denture. I did my research and found the very best people, my implantologist is world reknown. It's been 4 years and I eat whatever I want other than caramels and such which I don't miss. I've never had a single issue with either the implants or the denture and actually never think about them. I have a beautiful smile which will last a lifetime and best of all, no more pain....ever.

The secret is to find the very best prosthodontist and implantologist you can. It makes all the difference. My total cost was around 40 grand and worth every penny.
It's great that things worked out well for you. A couple of things to note. You didn't say how to go about what to look for to find and determine the very best prosthodontist an implantologist they can. Secondly, not everyone can afford or qualify for implants. $40,000 can be a lot of money to dig up, especially if the patient has no insurance or can't get a sizable loan for that purpose. It also depends on how much bone the patient has for installing implants. If the bone thickness is too thin, especially for the upper, there are risks associated, such as infection, depending on where the implant is to be placed. If the bone for the upper and/or lower jaw has dissolved too much, implants might not be a good option to consider. That said, I agree if a person is suitable and can afford implant dentures, then that's a good option and better than standard dentures because they're more secure, IMO.

For the sake of price comparison, the quote I got for upper and lower implant dentures in my area was about $18,000 and would require a total of 8 implant posts (4 for the upper and 4 for the lower). Since I have upper and lower dentures, the cost would be less with a relatively small fee to modify my dentures. All the posts (for me) would be installed toward the front of the dentures. The back part of the dentures would not have posts because, although there is bone, it's not as much as might be desired. The intended placement of the posts should be enough to hold the dentures in place with reasonable firmness. The cost for the posts was $2,000 per post x 8 posts = $16,000 which includes installation. That assumes no extractions or new dentures are required. The only thing holding me back is, at my age (71), the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health