Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 09:40 AM

3,568 posts, read 1,345,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdude222 View Post
SOLUTION: Go to Mexico and get your teeth done there. It is safe and 1/3 of the cost. All of these dentists were college trained, many in the USA.
A friend who lives in Arizona did this 10 yrs ago. Much cheaper and she has been very pleased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 09:45 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
"a poor substitute".
#1....They fit so well I don't even realize I am wearing them
#2....I have received many compliments on how well they look
#3....I am no more limited than you in my menu selection when in a restaurant
I didn't pay for dentures to not have them in my mouth.
The only time they are removed is when I am sleeping and I do not look in a mirror when asleep
Your point is ?
As I said............an expert on dentures from a person who doesn't have dentures.
I do not need dentures to know that they are not as good as your own teeth just like I don't need to get my leg cut off to realize that a prosthetic is not as good as a real leg. geez..why are you fighting about this? Sounds like maybe you are trying to reassure yourself that having all your teeth pulled was a great idea?

Old 04-29-2017, 10:59 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
So let me summarize your post: since you had good results, everyone else who doesn't like their dentures must not know what they are talking about. They really do like them but they just don't know it.

After reading the next thread down, I find out you are a dentist!

As I stated, many of the posters pushing the most expensive way of doing things and ridiculing other options are dentists.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 04-29-2017, 11:08 AM

1,656 posts, read 2,778,168 times
Quote:
After reading the next thread down, I find out you are a dentist!

As I stated, many of the posters pushing the most expensive way of doing things and ridiculing other options are dentists.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Yes I am a dentist. I am making recommendations for the best results. The best results are not the cheapest, just like with any other service or prodcut. If you want the cheapest then get dentures. If you want the best get implants. The best is never the cheapest. I have seen countless patients with dentures wanting implants. I have never had a patient with implants wanting dentures. Why is that?

Still waiting for your response to post #23.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:19 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Quote:
"a poor substitute".

#1....They fit so well I don't even realize I am wearing them

#2....I have received many compliments on how well they look
#3....I am no more limited than you in my menu selection when in a restaurant

I didn't pay for dentures to not have them in my mouth.
The only time they are removed is when I am sleeping and I do not look in a mirror when asleep

Your point is ?

As I said............an expert on dentures from a person who doesn't have dentures.
I agree. I am 75, and have full dentures. Having bad teeth and needing dentures may be an inherited trait; my mother had them, my sister had them, I have them.
I have had mine for several years, and I probably should go get fitted for a new set, and/or get these relined. Best bet would be the new set, then have these relined for a spare set. I dropped the bottom plate once, and broke it. Luckily, I was able to find a Denturist that offered same day repair. The same thing happened twice when I broke the top plate while eating. It is now thicker and stronger after the last repair. No further problems.
At my age, there is no way I would spend 8 to 10 grand on fancy teeth. The dentures will do just fine for the remaining years of my life.
To the OP, only you know your financial situation, and your dental insurance situation. the choice is yours. choose wisely. good luck.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:26 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,433,136 times
I had a choice last year, 10k in implants to postpone the inevitable a few years or 1200 for an upper plate. I went for the denture and it's fine. I should have done this years ago.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:44 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I had a choice last year, 10k in implants to postpone the inevitable a few years or 1200 for an upper plate. I went for the denture and it's fine. I should have done this years ago.
Why would you assume implants would only last a few years?

Old 04-29-2017, 12:55 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdude222 View Post
SOLUTION: Go to Mexico and get your teeth done there. It is safe and 1/3 of the cost. All of these dentists were college trained, many in the USA.
I have all my dental work done in Tijuana, and it's well worth the money spent. I was quoted $7,000 here, and it cost me close to $1,200 in Mexico for the same work. And I haven't had any problems, I just went in for several adjustments.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I have all my dental work done in Tijuana, and it's well worth the money spent. I was quoted $7,000 here, and it cost me close to $1,200 in Mexico for the same work. And I haven't had any problems, I just went in for several adjustments.

Smart !

I have heard the same from many people.

I have noticed on this forum dentists like to keep preaching.........." you get what you pay for "..

The more expensive the procedure, the more $$$$$$$$$$ the dentists posting here make.

Maybe that is why some dentists here try to convince you that dentures ........"are only good for smiling "

Old 04-29-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Not sure why you have a beef with my post. You have one mouth. Dentists deal with thousands of mouths and are therefore more likely to know how well the general public gets along with their dentures. My post was a general rule of thumb that many many denture patients agree with. Just because you have good bone and gum structure to wear dentures, you shouldn't make others feel bad when they're not as fortunate as you. There is an entire dental implant industry built on providing a remedy for those who are unhappy with their dentures. And those patients invariably are much happier with implants than dentures. Congratulations for being satisfied with your dentures.

( 3rd sentence )...........dentists who rarely do complete extractions and dentures know very little about people who have dentures.

How many complete extractions do you do daily........weekly..........monthly.

I would never go to a dentist for extractions and dentures who rarely does them.

Just like I would net get a hip replacement done by an orthopedic DR who hardly ever does them.

That would be stupid as they are the last ones to go gto .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health