Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 04:32 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times

Advertisements

I'm 70, I have a 3 unit bridge #30, 31, 32. I lost #31 at 25 and had a partial for about 10 years then got a bridge. About 10 years ago the bridge was replaced because the dentist said he was sure there was decay under it (there wasn't). Now my new dentist says that he's sure there's decay under it and wants to remove the bridge and suggested that I consider two crowns and an implant rather than another bridge. The only trouble I've ever had with the bridge is the inconvenience of having to use floss threaders to clean under it. The dentist I'm seeing doesn't do implants so I don't think he's recommending it to get more money.

So, should I even consider the idea of an implant, or just have a new bridge made? (I swear if there's no decay under it this time I'm gonna sock the dentist) At my age and given the length of time since I lost the tooth, is there even a chance that I would have enough bone there to support an implant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 04:41 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm 70, I have a 3 unit bridge #30, 31, 32. I lost #31 at 25 and had a partial for about 10 years then got a bridge. About 10 years ago the bridge was replaced because the dentist said he was sure there was decay under it (there wasn't). Now my new dentist says that he's sure there's decay under it and wants to remove the bridge and suggested that I consider two crowns and an implant rather than another bridge. The only trouble I've ever had with the bridge is the inconvenience of having to use floss threaders to clean under it. The dentist I'm seeing doesn't do implants so I don't think he's recommending it to get more money.

So, should I even consider the idea of an implant, or just have a new bridge made? (I swear if there's no decay under it this time I'm gonna sock the dentist) At my age and given the length of time since I lost the tooth, is there even a chance that I would have enough bone there to support an implant?

They should be able to tell if there's enough bone to support an implant via a specialized cat scan. I had such done, by an oral surgeon, who specializes in implants. The answer came back yes, I have enough bone, go ahead with the implant. Please, stop thinking everything a health care professional recommends is "to get money" I doubt they get kickbacks in terms of actual money, however, it can be a you-scratch-my-back-I''l scratch yours" arrangement. Perhaps seek out a second opinion from an oral surgeon of your choice? Regardless, remember, your teeth are too important to your overall health to bargain-shop

Old 05-26-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
They should be able to tell if there's enough bone to support an implant via a specialized cat scan. I had such done, by an oral surgeon, who specializes in implants. The answer came back yes, I have enough bone, go ahead with the implant. Please, stop thinking everything a health care professional recommends is "to get money" I doubt they get kickbacks in terms of actual money, however, it can be a you-scratch-my-back-I''l scratch yours" arrangement. Perhaps seek out a second opinion from an oral surgeon of your choice? Regardless, remember, your teeth are too important to your overall health to bargain-shop
Thanks, I called an implant dentist near my home a few minutes ago, she said she would do at CT scan for free if I wanted to find out, so I will probably go see her on Tuesday.

And I don't think the dentist was trying to make money...I only added that to avoid having people jump in the discussion and start saying that the dentist suggested the implant because he can make more money with that than just with a bridge.

I agree about the importance of teeth to overall health. I take excellent care of my teeth, the money I have spent on my teeth could have bought a very nice car.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:52 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Thanks, I called an implant dentist near my home a few minutes ago, she said she would do at CT scan for free if I wanted to find out, so I will probably go see her on Tuesday.

And I don't think the dentist was trying to make money...I only added that to avoid having people jump in the discussion and start saying that the dentist suggested the implant because he can make more money with that than just with a bridge.

I agree about the importance of teeth to overall health. I take excellent care of my teeth, the money I have spent on my teeth could have bought a very nice car.

LOL---The money we spent on our kids braces could have bought a house!

Old 05-26-2017, 04:55 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,781,202 times
Implants last longer than just about anything else in dentistry. If your dentist thinks you would be a good candidate for implants, then you should at least have a consultation with an oral surgeon or periodontist that places implants, and then decide.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
LOL---The money we spent on our kids braces could have bought a house!
Well I live in California where houses are crazy expensive so I can't say the kids braces would have bought a house, but they were expensive and at the time my dental insurance didn't cover a penny of the expense.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
My 3 implants all had bone grafts, $400 and not covered by my insurance. With dual coverage from my work and my wife's, they covered about half of the implants and crowns, still about $2,000 each. My dentist insisted they would last the rest of my life (was 63 for the last one).

Old 05-26-2017, 05:05 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,781,202 times
It's all about priorities. You can also look at your house and say "I could have gotten a cheaper house and straightened all my kids teeth for this money!" It's a choice.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Implants last longer than just about anything else in dentistry. If your dentist thinks you would be a good candidate for implants, then you should at least have a consultation with an oral surgeon or periodontist that places implants, and then decide.
Thanks, in that case then I will follow up with the implant doc on Tuesday. My dentist didn't really commit to whether I was a good candidate he said it looked ok to him but the periodontist would have to make the decision.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
My 3 implants all had bone grafts, $400 and not covered by my insurance. With dual coverage from my work and my wife's, they covered about half of the implants and crowns, still about $2,000 each. My dentist insisted they would last the rest of my life (was 63 for the last one).
My insurance is crap but fortunately I have the money, it just means we will watch Travel shows about Italy this year instead of going on vacation there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health